Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Neighbours pink rose bush

Just next door, in the backyard, I spied this mighty specimen:

Comments (17)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 months ago

Lovely! I always envy those who grow roses.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Marie Tulin
    10 months ago

Is that a door to right?

do they wrestle with “her pinkness“when they go in or out? that is a rose of royal proportions

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Marie Tulin
  • FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 months ago

Stunning, I wonder if it might possibly be 'John Davis' ...

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • Design Fan
    10 months ago

Beautiful. How nice that you get to enjoy it without any of the work or garden space!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Design Fan
  • rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I wonder if it might possibly be 'John Davis'

You are correct @FrozeBudd_z3/4

Original Author
    10 months ago

Good observation Marie.

This in the backyard. And there is a sliding patio door but set well back from the bush and so I dont *think* it causes an issue with coming and going.

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    10 months ago

I think it's John Davis, too. I know because I have one. Although this one is much more robust than mine currently is.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 months ago

Wow!!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    10 months ago

It sure looks like my John Davis climbing rose which has an amazing amount of blooms. Your neighbours is gorgeous!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 months ago

too bad they dont know how to prune.. and/or are afraid of such ... based on the size.. there really isnt any reason to not tame it on the patio side of the plant ...

ken

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 months ago

Ken, prune it or simply tie it up on the other side, though possibly this is the outcome they desire. Mine had grown up to 11 ft tall, I found the maintenance to be a good bit of work with deadheading of hips to encourage a nice second flush, but also the saw flies required spraying for and then along came leaf defoliating cercospora leaf spot, I reluctantly removed 'John Davis' in favor of an easier care shrub. 'JD' is an excellent to bred with variety to pass along cold hardiness, use it as as a pollen parent, unfortunately susceptibility to cercospora will remain with most seedlings, though some have managed okay.

Original Author
    10 months ago

too bad they dont know how to prune..

too harsh 'ken'

or simply tie it up on the other side, though possibly this is the outcome they desire.

@FrozeBudd_z3/4, you are for sure are on the right track.

The owners lamented how some of their "tie ups" of several of the larger canes had been pulled down due to the prolonged downpour of rain that our area had experienced only a week ago. Completely understandable I say. They hadn't had time to redo it and decided they would wait to do something more permanent once the blooms were done.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 months ago

Yes, a vigorous climbing rose certainly does require a good deal of time and effort to maintain all aspects of support, pruning, feeding, health, insect and pest, including deer and even moose protection for some. Tending my exhaustively large yard, I've had to concede defeat with plants of high maintenance.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    10 months ago

I love the naturalistic draping the rose is doing, Ken. This is what I consider ideal.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • judijunebugarizonazn8
    10 months ago

I am with you, Sheila. I think it’s so much prettier to let them look as natural as possible. Obviously if a plant is next to a walkway, it is nice if you can walk through without getting snagged or slapped, but I certainly favor that gloriously, exuberantly wild look!

• Nancy R z5 Chicagoland
    10 months ago

I just love John Davis! Except for a little balling the first year due to rain, I haven't had any problems with it at all. This has been a terrific find for me. I tried Zephirine Drouhin and many other things that didn't make it. In the background is one of my four William Baffins. But John Davis has the same hardiness, with way fewer thorns and a more elegant look. This is year four. I keep this one pruned to fit in a relatively narrow space. I hope this picture works okay.