Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decofran

Which linear chandelier would you choose?

decofran
10 months ago

We are renovating our kitchen/diningroom, and I would like to change the chandelier and table (72”), I was thinking more of a linear dessign. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (39)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 months ago

Where are you planning to locate the TV? Your living room area could be arranged in a better layout IMO.

If that traditional dining set is staying then I'd select a fixture that bridges the expanse from traditional to transitional.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

No the traditional dining set is not staying. We do not have a Tv in this area, our view of the lake is our TV. We are renovating our kitchen and taking out a wall. Also, using large white beige tiles around our fireplace…

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

We have just moved into this property…

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Lighter colour chair and table, but similar style.

• ffpalms
    10 months ago

I’d choose something very minimal to keep that incredible view as open as possible.

decofran thanked ffpalms
  • decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

That is exactly what I was concerned about. I do not want to block the view but I want a cohesive style that ties into the livingroom.

• housegal200
    10 months ago

Have you thought about a square table so two of you could sit facing your beautiful view? A rectangular table only has one seat at each end if placing it the "long" way. In any case a long fixture, double, or extending fixtures woudl all work. Look for something light and airy to let in maximum light and the view.

Chimney Corners Remodel · More Info

Crocus Hill Shingle Style · More Info

Larger round table than you have, though it's more challenging conversationally when you have more than two people.

Transitional Dining Room · More Info

decofran thanked housegal200
  • decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Interesting, I never thought of that!! I’m not sure if I could put a linear chandelier over the table though…

• housegal200
    10 months ago

I just did a Houzz seaarch for square dining tables and most all of them have round centered lighting overhead.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you so much for your research. I’m still trying to figure out which table would be best.

• RedRyder
    10 months ago

If the view is the Main Event, then everything should be focused on that.

Please consider a round table. And the accompanying chandelier wouldn’t be linear but no one’s gonna care! They’ll be staring out the window! I love @housegal200’s ideas with round tables.

I also like a curved arm chandelier over a round table, which is what I have in my eating area. It’s bleached wood and pretty much disappears. Two similar ones below.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I’ve never seen this type of bleached wood chandelier before, it’s very unique. Would it go well with the rest of my livingroom? What colour would the table need to be (walnut?)

• thinkdesignlive
    10 months ago

I’d focus on solving the table first. Are the chairs staying? A round table like the Arhaus Enzo in white marble would be lovely with the existing furniture.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I’d like to keep the chairs if possible. The kitchen that is in very close proximity will have a quartz countertop in a very light beige/white colour.

• Design2 girl
    10 months ago

I love the chairs! Could you consider a glass top table with a cool iron base to contrast with the french chairs and give an open feeling to your gorgeous view? And I think a rectangular table fits well in your space.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you for your suggestion. I’m not sure about a glass top table. I have young grandchildren and I don’t think that would be the best situation… 😉

• RedRyder
    10 months ago

Your living room has very light furniture. Your dining room can use some lightening up as well. Would you be willing to recover the chairs? Have them painted? I think a bleached wood chandelier would work if your table and chairs went lighter.

I painted my sister’s reproduction Chippendale chairs white when she had to downsize to an apartment and they suddenly became mine. They’re comfy and elegant and now fit my farmhouse dining room better than when they were mahogany.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I don’t think I will be painting them, but that is an excellent idea…

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Another thing that I will need to add is some wall art…

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 months ago

Your chairs with their backs to the FP don't seem quite right.

The room needs a larger area rug.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I’m not sure if I like the sofa back being the first thing you see when you enter the living space. Thank you for your suggestion…

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

From another angle…

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

We need a larger rug as well…

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I just want it to be open when you walk into the room..

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

We will be removing the wall to create an island.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

The fireplace might not be visible for the sofa if it is placed on the side wall…

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 months ago

I did not suggest you move your sofa or place it on an angle. I only suggested move the rug and the chairs. No one wants to walk into the room with some random sofa blocking their way.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I will try again…😉

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I definitely need another rug…

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

That will be another designer dilemma I will be asking about…

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I moved the sofa again…

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Another angle…

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I will be adding a credenza to the back wall.

• J from Lakes Country
    10 months ago

You have a Gorgeous water view. I would pick a light fixture that doesn't try to overshadow or block the view in any way. Something willing to take a back seat :)

• housegal200
    10 months ago

You seem to have a pathway into the living room that draws the eye to the view even with sofa back facing entrance. That configuration, or the one Beverly shows, takes advantage of the view. If you float the sofa to face fireplace and view, put a sofa or extra long cofee table behind it, which can be very welcoming when someone walks in

Tall sofa table with extra seating for company:

Chairs can be placed facing each other at either end of coffee table to create a conversational grouping. Anchor that grouping on a rug large enough for all upholstered pieces to be anchored on it. This is especially important to define an open space, which you'll have when the wall comes down. A large rug will also absorb sound.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you! I like the idea of having the chairs face each other on each side of the coffee table and having the sofa face the fireplace and the water. Since I would be moving it up closer I will definitely need something like you had suggested.

• decofran
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I also think I would like to go with a lighter coloured table/ coffee tables/end tables. Perhaps the same colour as the sun mirror on the back wall. Would you think that would be a good idea?