Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Day 9 of the PA escapee …

petalique
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

This must be getting expensive and it looks like it’s taxing law enforcement and the residents in the Longwood Gardens and Kennet Square areas.

I won’t describe the news item since it has been in the news for days. The man viciously stabbed an ex girlfriend in front of her children. Authorities also believe that beyond being a vicious criminal, there is some wiring not right with this escapee.

The convicted murderer (escapee) is wiley, for sure. But it looks like there was a good bit of sloppiness that worked in favor of the convict escaping. Add to that and the area has lots of heavy forested cover and the hot temperatures have made trying to detect him with thermal imaging nearly impossible.

The officer who was on watchtower duty, an 18 year veteran, was fired today. Helicopters and other aerial surveillance have been flying for days, just about full time. There have been legions of LE on foot and sniffer canines. It has been very hard on the people on the ground searching because of the relentless heat and humidity.

Tonight there are thunderstorms in the area and that might make the air search and telemetry more fruitful. The fugitive has been detected on various trail cams and news tonight suggests that he has broken into one or more houses. (Apparently some houses are unoccupied second homes or vacation properties.)

From a few days ago:

Comments (60)

• lucillle
    7 months ago

Dedtired, thank you for the clarification, I did not realize the prior escapee also crabwalked, (which is what I was referring to as an 'outside the box' method of getting outside the box) it was hard to tell from the NYT description.

This past May, Mr. Bolte, now 30 and held on a probation violation, got out again, climbing up the walls by the exercise yard — he later told a police detective that he “was a rock climber”— and then running across the roof and dropping down by the visitor’s entrance. He was caught within minutes.

petalique thanked lucillle
  • lily316
    7 months ago

Still not caught!

petalique thanked lily316
  • maire_cate
    7 months ago

He has changed his appearance and is now clean shaven and may be driving a white van. The last update says he is now wearing a black baseball cap, hoodie and prison pants. If he is near Phoenixville that means he has moved 25 miles from the original search areas. The photos seem to be from a Nest or Ring camera, perhaps from a front porch which is a nightmare.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/escaped-murderer-danelo-cavalcante-spotted-near-phoenixville-has-changed-appearance-police-say/3641966/

petalique thanked maire_cate
  • dedtired
    7 months ago

He stole a white van with a refrigeration unit on top from a dairy. How hard can it be to spot that? Hes probably dumped itby now, which is how he managed to move 25 miles.

petalique thanked dedtired
  • salonva
    7 months ago

He has dumped it . It's from Bailey's Dairy Farm, a wonderful place.

Seriously, if I would have read a book with this story, I would have given up because it is not believable.

Phoenixville is where his victim lived, and supposedly he has a sister there.

Who knows where he is now. I guess true to form we'll find out hours after he's gone from the next place.

Also also he seems to be wearing the same gray prison issue pants, but has new hoodie and looks quite clean.

petalique thanked salonva
  • petalique
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Too bad he broke free from the area where LE thought they had him contained.

Yes, the rectilinear demarcations on up-post map must have been drone work. Thanks.

And super creepy about the lightswitch signaling. Smart homeowner, clever fugitive.

I heard/read news reports that after the first escape attempt (by another prisoner, since capture), the prison hired some security expert who said all they really needed to do after the first escape, was to put some razor-wire on the roof. Duh. Lose that expert’s card.

What about having serious eyes on the camera ”monitoring” the twice-used escape route where two convicts succesfully crab-walked up the two close walls and reached the roof.

Maybe put a lock or bars on the roof access. Maybe a Sounding alarm and motion detector on the roof next to any openings.

Let’s eliminate rubber grippy soled footware. Substitute for slippery felt ;-)

“Catch Me If You Can” and “Where’s Waldo.”

ETA More heads will be rolling.

Cavalcante got cooled off any maybe had a few icecream bars or frozen yogurts with that dairy truck coup.

Any action on offshore betting sites?

• katlan
    7 months ago

The orders should be to shoot on sight. Period.

petalique thanked katlan
  • Elmer J Fudd
    7 months ago

Wouldn't it be more fun to follow sporting events and the weekly results and league standings of your favorite or local teams?

petalique thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • salonva
    7 months ago

I am afraid to even comment because I'll probably not be able to stop.

Just when you think it can't get any more bizarre, it does.

I;m only in the area for 5 years now and going from Baily's farm to Phoeniville to Natnmeal township would be beyond my capabilites at night with heavy rain. It would be stretching my capabilities even with a trusty gps.

oops editing to add, the new hoodie was taken from Baily's. ( per State Police at news conference)

• lily316
    7 months ago

He ran out of gas in the dairy van and now is quite preppy-looking in his new hoodie compared to his ugly mug shot. And he was actually smiling in the latest sighting on a camera. Millions and millions now and going into the 12th day. This little punk has outsmarted them all and boy they ain't happy.

• dedtired
    7 months ago

Elmer, Eagles 25, Patriots 20. Go Birds.

One news station showed all the amateur manhunters out acting like big shots in the cornfields, thinking they could do a better job than the officials. Of course, that could have to do with the $20k reward .

All he can do is keep running and hiding at this point. Where the heck is he going to go?

Glad to see the Kennett Square Mushroom Festival went on as planned.

• lily316
    7 months ago

Go Eagles!

• lucillle
    7 months ago

All he can do is keep running and hiding at this point. Where the heck is he going to go?

One of the news updates is saying some preparations are being made for a national search in case he escapes Pennsylvania. And some statistics say that a few escapees are never found.

• graywings123
    7 months ago

If I lived in that area, I would be obsessed with the progress on the case. I remember what it was like when the D.C. sniper had the region tied in knots for three weeks in 2002.

Wow, would love to go to that mushroom festival some day. Longwood Gardens' restaurant has wonderful mushroom soup.

petalique thanked graywings123
  • Olychick
    7 months ago

“The orders should be to shoot on sight. Period.“

Seriously? How many innocent people could be shot because of mistaken identity? This is a nightmare scenario.

petalique thanked Olychick
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 months ago

Oh great. The latest I saw he was in a garage and stole someone's rifle so now he's armed. The homeowner shot at him, but missed. What are you doing with a loose rifle in your garage!?!

petalique thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • bpath
    7 months ago

On the plus side, anyone walking around with a rifle will be pretty identifiable on doorbell cams, trail cams, etc.

Remember the fugitive who was holed up in a barn or something, but he wore Depends or sanitary pads and buried them so as not to leave a urine scent?

petalique thanked bpath
  • Elizabeth
    7 months ago

If I lived in that area I would pack a bag and get the heck out of there. I would lock my doors, etc, but your house is only as secure as your window glass really. This man seems quite capable of a break in and shooting.

Many people have legal weapons in their homes. They are not to blame for an escaped murderers conduct.

petalique thanked Elizabeth
  • lucillle
    7 months ago

If I lived in that area I would pack a bag and get the heck out of there.

Where would you go in the U.S. that would be safe from senseless shootings?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 months ago

I'm not blaming them for the murderer's conduct, but I am saying it's irresponsible to leave loose weaponry around where anyone including a child can get at it, esp when you know you have an escaped convict loose in the area.

petalique thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • dedtired
    7 months ago

Agree with Annie. Who the heck leaves a loaded rifle in the garage?

The amateur sleuths are also becoming a hindrance. Some of then are carrying guns, too

Not sure this link will,work

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 months ago

1. They asked everyone to keep ALL doors and windows locked and stay inside.

2. The homeowner had the garage door up and a rifle in the garage.

3. The homeowner needs to go take lessons, so he can hit what he shoots at or get rid of the handgun. If he had been a good shot, even with the garage door left open, the problem would be solved.

petalique thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Elizabeth
    7 months ago

Admittedly, a loaded gun just left in a garage is wrong in any location. Lock and keys.

As to where I would go to escape? Well a good distance from the search area that's for sure.

• foodonastump
    7 months ago

“Who the heck leaves a loaded rifle in the garage?”

A ”responsible hunter” no doubt.

petalique thanked foodonastump
  • bpath
    7 months ago

He may have been getting ready to head out with that rifle to search for the escapee. But I would imagine it is a basic of firearm safety that you never drive a vehicle with a loaded rifle, isn’t it?

btw, WAS the rifle loaded?

petalique thanked bpath
  • foodonastump
    7 months ago

@bpath - I don’t kbow if it was loaded but several sources are saying he stole ”rifle and ammunition”.

petalique thanked foodonastump
  • dedtired
    7 months ago

This is a suburban area, not where you go to shoot deer. Lots of new developments with young families. Its extremely irresponsible to leave a rifle unsecured, loaded or not. There are still plenty of wooded areas nearby to hide.

Edited to add::I went to drop stuff off at the thrift shop and to CVS and the escaped prisoner was a topic at both. The search area is about a half hour’s drive from here.

• bpath
    7 months ago

I just read that the rifle ”was not unsecured”, but that still leaves wiggle room for just how easy it was to take. Apparently it has a flashlight and a scope on it. Uh-oh. But the article did not say whether it was loaded.

He ditched the green hoodie and white tee, stole boots from someone’s porch, what else is he wearing now? What is he eating and drinking? maybe water from garden hoses? and he must not be sleeping very well. So with the hunger, thirst, and lack of quality sleep, his behavior might become erratic and unpredictable (though he’s done fine so far!)

He can’t go back to Brazil, where he is wanted for homicide. And Portuguese isn’t widely casually spoken, so he won’t really blend in anywhere else.

petalique thanked bpath
  • Elizabeth
    7 months ago

Let' s remember that he stabbed his girlfriend to death. With a knife. 38 times. So he is capable of that too.

• petalique
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Loaded or not, the 22 rifle could be used to further help his escape. He could carjack a vehicle, probably a good idea for him, and maybe best if he aims for an older model as there would be less of a chance of it being outfitted with a GPS.

But he’s surrounded by teams of searchers.

Here is an idea for law enforcement (LE). They can leave a couple of ”bait” vehicles parked in some unlighted areas, keys in the ignition, or car left running. Meanwhile, LE would have planted a tracking device on the vehicle.

No shooting on sight. That would be foolish.

Before he got a weapon with ammo (probably not much) I didn’t think the escapee was dangerous to most people. He wasn’t a serial or thrill killer, but seemed to be one of those twisted guys who goes deadly assaultive bananas when his woman threatens to leave his control.

There are about 4 helicopters circling the area where LE assumes he is confined. At least two of them are media helicopters.

The fugitive could look into trash or gardens for food. And, I agree with Annie, dumb for that homeowner to have a loaded rifle leaning against his garage wall with a desperate wiley fugitive about. So much for exceptualism.

The area is very beautiful with lots of woods and open spaces and hilly. Lovely homes.

They will capture him, I just hope no one gets hurt.

• salonva
    7 months ago

I was up last night until about 12:30 am which for me is insane because I usually can't stay up until 10. I was watching this unfold and it really seemed like it was going to end well. When I got up this morning I was shocked to see it had not been resolved. ( I don't learn, do I ? I thought this before but last night it REALLY seemed like it was concluding.)

For what it's worth the area where he ditched the van, where the rifle and muddy shoes were taken... is more rural. The school district has both rural and developments but where the search was taking place is more farm area. They found his lime green sweatshirt and prison issued shoes. Someone I think a trooper saw him and he was not wearing a shirt. Who knows what he's wearing now. I do agree that he had help before, but I think he does not have any one helping him now but he sure is crafty. I 'd loveto know where/how he was able to shave.

At this point, I just can't imagine how this will end. I do hope he's getting more tired and will do something sloppy. So far, he's been super lucky and seizing every opportunity.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 months ago

I’m sorry for any who live within the bounds of this criminal’s current range. Scary indeed!

As for the .22 rifle, most of what I’ve read said the gun was not unsecured…

A quote reported from the PA state trooper Lt Col on the scene…’He said the gun had not been left unsecured so he did not believe the homeowner was being irresponsible.’ Wherher it was loaded or not is unclear. The homeowner was reported to have been sitting in the garage when the escaped criminal came in, which is how he was able to chase him out and get off a few shots. As to whether he recognized him, who knows. Maybe he thought it was a young dude and was shooting warning shots. Will we ever know? Ammo would be easy to purchase at any rate.

petalique thanked OutsidePlaying
  • lucillle
    7 months ago

He can’t go back to Brazil, where he is wanted for homicide.

There are large areas in Brazil where he could possibly avoid capture for many years, possibly a lifetime. Over half of Brazil is forest, with areas that have low populations.

• salonva
    7 months ago

IN CUSTODY!

• Olychick
    7 months ago

Thank you, law enforcement!

• Elizabeth
    7 months ago

Grateful no-one was killed or injured in the capture. Great job law enforcement!

• dedtired
    7 months ago

i cant imagine being out in the elements for the last two weeks. Its been stinking hot and pouring rain. He looked exhausted and weather beaten in photos.

• lucillle
    7 months ago

Good job on the part of law enforcement and the many others contributing efforts to the search. I hope he stays in custody.

• lindaohnowga
    7 months ago

Thankful it has ended.

petalique thanked lindaohnowga
  • sprtphntc7a
    7 months ago

Finally! we live in the next county over but know many people in Chester County, including our DD & SIL. we know people who the state troopers have knocked on their door to warn them. yes it is very scary.

there were 'bounty hunters' looking for him - outside of law enforcement - not a good idea at all, but i guess people were getting very nervous. schools were closed, Longwood Gardens closed, so it effected many people on many levels.

i am so relieved it's over and no law enforcement was injured or killed.

what a tax drain on our state!! Ugh! Now they have to reinforce the prison!!

petalique thanked sprtphntc7a
  • lily316
    7 months ago

I'm a couple of counties over so wasn't worried about my safety but I have friends in the area. One was awakened Sunday morning by a knock on her door that he had escaped the perimeter and was in her neighborhood. It's going to cost our state a bundle and Longwood Gardens was closed for many days so it deeply affected them and their revenue. I hope this little punk is locked in solitary for the rest of his life. Too bad he didn't resist and act as a threat, and our police could have ended it right there. He'll be costing us millions for the next 50 years.

• arcy_gw
    7 months ago

Sending him back means he will go free and return. I hope law enforcement now focuses on the underground railway of illegals that helped him evade capture for so long. If he had gotten himself shot I would be fine with that. This is now going to cost us thousands.

petalique thanked arcy_gw
  • Ally De
    7 months ago

Um....what?! Sending him back where means he will go free....what? And he ran on his own, the people he knew didn't get involved.

🤷

petalique thanked Ally De
  • bpath
    7 months ago

I found it interesting that the DEA and customs and border control were all involved. Certainly because they have the tools and experience to do this kind of thing. But to query Arcy, Was he here illegally? Just how many migrants here speak Portuguese?

petalique thanked bpath
  • salonva
    7 months ago

Yes, he was here illegally. He fled from Brazil to Puerto Rico. From there, he used false identity and I believe flew to the US. That's what's been reported all along. His sister, who was trying to help him, was here legally but overstayed her visa. I'm not clear if she was arrested ( I think so) or just detained.

While Portuguese is not super common, there's definitely a community of them.

• petalique
    Original Author
    7 months ago

If anyone is interested, this is the type of fixed wing aircraft the DEA bwas using to detect the heat signal from Cavalcante. The feds modify the PC-12 to a U-28A for Information, Surveillance and Reconnaissance: ISR.

When I was watching this over the past few nights, it was flying at about 3,600 ft.

They must have some pretty sensitive equipment to get a heat signal at that altitude. Until last night, the weather was too warm to pick up much of a signal.

Link to some info on this sort of plane.

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/104607/u-28a-draco/

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28618/the-air-forces-special-operations-pc-12s-finally-have-an-official-nickname

• Olychick
    7 months ago

I just sort of skimmed the articles, but it didn't appear they gave this kind of info...I wonder how they differentiate between a man trying to hide and deer/horses/cows if they are just using heat tracking?

• bragu_DSM 5
    7 months ago

deer, horses and cows stand on all fours ... ^__^

petalique thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • petalique
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Some expert was on a program last night and said that people looking at the signals can differentiate between wildlife and a human subject. If I still have the program on the DVR, I can try to find that segment because I cannot recall it he gave the details. It might be that there is a difference between the movement of say a deer, coyote and human.

Another expert was ask why the dogs hadn’t yet tracked down the fugitive by his scent.

I was curious about that myself because I had recently read somewhere that scent tracking dogs can be so good that they can actually follow somebody through a stream. I don’t know that they all have to be “bloodhounds“ per se.

This expert was saying that there are different types of tracking dogs. Some dogs are trained to track the differences in crushed vegetation and he was pointing out that that is why it was distracting to have a lot of people trying to help but tracking all over the place. Other dogs are trained to track by scent.

Until last night, the temperatures were about the same temperature as a human body 98 deg F so there wasn’t a lot of distinction between say any log rocks, surface of grass and a human being. But when the weather cooled and the surrounding air got colder than any small amount of heat of around safe, human body would be able to be picked up. I’m amazed though at the around 3,600 feet altitude that the equipment could detect that small of a heat signal. And remember the guy was small about 5 foot tall, and not very much meat on them so that would contribute to the very slight heat signal.

If I was living around there, I would quickly get some trail cams, and also some good binoculars (actually, I have really good binoculars that lead in a lot of light) and I would turn the lights out or being a room where the lights were not on and stay looking out my windows I find that whole thing very interesting. But I also like solving problems like that. If you lose your contact lens or a diamond falls out of your ring, or lose your keys in the snow, I’m the one you want to call.

• Olychick
    7 months ago

I understand about the 2 legs vs 4 legs, but from above, legs aren't visible. So a human in a prone or fetal position would be about the same size as a deer or small cow or horse. It seems there would just be a blob of tissue giving off heat. Petalique, if you find the program, I'd be interested in listening to him.