Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_p8

Beginner's first Barbeque

Kerry P.
7 months ago

I bought an Activa “Angular” Grillwagen a few years ago with item number 11245C

at an OBI (in Europe). I've never used it. In fact, I have never barbequed before. Now I want to use it.

I'm researching how to barbeque. I've learned that seasoning or curing the new grill grates is important. I have also learned that rust can be a problem.

But I have also heard that grill grates that have an enamelled porcelain surface don't need to be seasoned/cured. That in this case the curing/seasoning was done at the factory (I don't know if it is true.)

The problem I have is I don't know what material my grill grates are made of. The descriptions of my grill online sometimes say iron grates and sometimes say porcelain enamel. I contacted the company and they confirmed this: this grill comes in variants.

They told me to send some pictures so they could tell me which material was used to make my grates. They haven't written back yet (maybe they will), but I would like to get things moving because the good weather may not last.

Here are some pictures. When viewing the grill grates in person, they look black. However, in a different light and in some photographs they appear to be a different colour.

Please look at the pictures. What do you think: cast iron grates or an enamelled porcelain surface?

My second question, and this has to do with rust, is how to clean the outside of this grill. It was covered in a room for most of the last several years, but due to a house renovation was placed outside for two months. The cover blew off at one point, so there is some dust/dirt on the outside. Is there a gentle, safe way to clean this dirt off that will not lead to rust on the outside of the grill?

In regard to the inside of the grill...

I do have a manual that's in German. It says that before use to "wash the grill grate with warm soapy water" and to do the same with the "grill" after each use after using a suitable grill brush to remove grilled food deposits.

I'm a little surprised because I have heard that rust should be avoided, and I think I've heard that water should not be used cleaning grill grates.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (10)

• Seabornman
    7 months ago

Those grates look like cast iron, not porcelain. I'd fire it up, which will burn off any residue, then brush on a layer of vegetable oil, keep the heat low to season the grates. Keep a BBQ brush around to clean the grates. As far as the outside, a damp cloth is all I'd use. I find the rust on the inside components is the problem.

Kerry P. thanked Seabornman
  • Kerry P.
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks Seabornman and Dan1888. I appreciate the good advice.

• CC
    7 months ago

Don’t use a wire brush on the grates. The little metal tines can break off and end up in your food… very dangerous. There are lots of different grill brushes you can buy, get a safe one. Happy grilling!

Kerry P. thanked CC
  • Kerry P.
    Original Author
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Thanks CC. I was just watching a few videos on this very same subject. I am thinking of a wooden scraper, or other safe possibilities.

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to some good food!

• Kerry P.
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Hi again. I'm not able to buy a dedicated grate lifter locally. Is there something I can use that will work and not damage the grill grates? Someone recommended a garden cultiavotor tool. It looks like it could work. I would only be concerned that paint or other things might rub off onto the grill.

Any ideas?

• dan1888
    7 months ago

Dealing with your grates is a matter of forethought. You don't use the brush or lifter if your grates were cleaned ready for use after the cool down after your last cook. You have control over that.

Kerry P. thanked dan1888
  • Kerry P.
    Original Author
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Dan1888 Sounds good. I like that.

I have another problem. Due to the reconstruction of the house, the barbeque was stored outside and was covered. Unfortunatley, the cover blew off during a rain and some moisture got inside. If you look at the pictures, you can see that a little rust developed both on the grill and on one of the grill grates.

How can I remove the rust without damaging the grill or the grill grate?

Speaking of the grill grates. It looks to me like it would be very easy to damage the grill grates, especially with the stainless steel spatulas they sell for flipping the burger over, etc. I bought one of these spatulas. I also bought tongs that have what appears to be plastic tips (designed for use with the barbeque) that look a little less likely to scratch the grates.

Is scratching the grates with spatulas and other stainless steel tools nothing to worry about?

I am going to cure/season the grates with vegetalbe oil. That should make the food stick less to the grill.

Finally, the company that made this barbeque grill recommends that before grilling that the grate be washed with warm, soapy water. What are your thoughts about that?

Thanks.

• colleenoz
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I think the company must know their product and how it should be treated. Water on the grill is only a bad thing if you don’t dry it off promptly.

Kerry P. thanked colleenoz
  • Kerry P.
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thank you Colleen. I think you are right.