Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_128654167

How Important is Stained Glass Symmetry

Travis Johnson
6 months ago

I installed this door to form a new Master Bedroom Suite where our old kitchen used to be. With tall ceilings i added a stained glass transom windiw for decore, ventilation and light above the door, but am struggling cutting glass perfect everytime. I broke a second blue pane but had a red one kicking around, so I installed that instead.

My girlfriend likes it as is.

I am not so sure?

Does it work, or should i keep cutting blue panes until i get symmetry?

Comments (22)

• mytwo cents
    6 months ago

Bookcase makes it work. Bookcase needs more books!

Travis Johnson thanked mytwo cents
  • P Banos
    6 months ago

Once you are finished and paint the door it will look lovely.

• Kendrah
    6 months ago

It is a playful layout and design and think the asymmetry is fine.

• ilikefriday
    6 months ago

Imo it is perfect as is.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 months ago

IMO the bookcase is sort of blocking the doorway . But I think the glass is fine as it is but I would paint the door one of those colors

• Jenny
    6 months ago

You don't have symmetry but you have balance. So to me it works.

• palimpsest
    6 months ago

I think it's preferable with the two different colors.

• palimpsest
    6 months ago

You can do something fun with the door with the introduction of the glass. It could be painted to add character. If you are crafty you could do faux graining or something. Sometimes the faux graining in the 19th c. was patently fake looking because people wanted to show that they could hire a decorative painter.

• Travis Johnson
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@mytwo cents

Yes it needs more books but as an part time author Ii only finish 3-4 novels per year. That means it is going to be quite awhile before i fill the bookcase. 😀

I have got ten published novels so far so while i have yet to fully renovate a 1940 Victoruan home, I have managed to knock a published novel or two off my bucket list. (insert slow-clap here) (very slow clap).

• Travis Johnson
    Original Author
    6 months ago

For some reason a lot of the other stained glass windows use small squares in their design, so i tried doing the same thing with this window.

i guess it worked after all

• ilikefriday
    6 months ago

That staircse wall is spectacular!

• Travis Johnson
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Awwww thanks, but it is a work in progress.

As i said earlier i write novels but we appreciate the creative arts. Okay, not music, neither one of us likes mysic at all, but books and paintings we love. We only moved in a few months ago, but want to use the staircase as a gallery with paintings tastefully arranged.

As a side note i like the Pre-Rapheal era and my girlfriend likes the Impressionist era.

• ilikefriday
    6 months ago

Do you have your gallery wall up yet? I would love to see it. Sounds beautiful.

• colleenoz
    6 months ago

The glass over the door is just right (I honestly think it would not look all that great if both panes were blue) but the colour of the door is wrong as is the panelling design. If you want it to tie in with the book case and staircase it needs to be repainted in that dark grey because as it stands the beige just looks awkward.

The frame around the door and transom is more stark 1930s but the spindles on the staircase are much more elaborate and older style. (Are they replacements?)

You could look at reframing the door (or somehow adding a thin layer of something less stark) to make it more sympathetic to the staircase.

Travis Johnson thanked colleenoz
  • Travis Johnson
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@colleenoz

I fully agree. I made a mistake of using boards over the framing of the door instead of drywall.

I was thinking of getting flutted trim and corner rosette blocks to make the door frame pop better. I was thinking of painting the outer parts of the door in white with gray panels to match the bookshelves of the library.

• PRO
    Ariana Designs LLC
    6 months ago

Hi, it may have been an accident but it works perfectly fine, finishing up the whole space painting the doors setting up the bookshelf and adding decor will make it look even better.

• Travis Johnson
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@ilikefriday

I am sorry, but it is what we hope to do and have not done yet. We also want to get the right works of art in the right sizes. We just moved here a few months ago.

My favorite work of art is John Colliers Lady Godiva, loving the story of her brazenly standing up for the less fortunate, and the painting itself. But admit i go to church so I am not sure how appropriate it is to have that painting prominently displayed in my house.

What are your thoughts on that, if you don’t mind me asking? Is John Colliers Lady Godiva too suggestive?

• Travis Johnson
    Original Author
    6 months ago

This is what the inside of the transom lite looks like, although i have not even started finishing this side of it.

• ilikefriday
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I just looked it up. LOL. Love it! I say go for it. It sparks conversation.

I hate taxes!

Travis Johnson thanked ilikefriday
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    6 months ago

Will suggest replacing your door. The traditional colonial 6 panel door doest seem to go well with the trim and the transom. Wood also suggest painting the door the same color as the surrounding trim. As far as the stained glass in the transom I'm thinking the configuration of the lites in the transom provides enough interest and would suggest the glass all be the same color. Just my thoughts. Good luck!

• Travis Johnson
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I have been moving forward with this project bit by bit. i got other stuff done elsewhere in the house, but kept this job moving forward.

I painted the door white and then the palels gray to match the bookshelves. I also added flutted trim to add depth and to match the rest of the doors in the house. Finally i organized our library, but my topic and not the Dewey Decimal System. 😀

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations