Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judijunebugarizonazn8

Propagation Pods Anyone?

I’m curious if anyone on this forum has used these air layering capsules, and if you have, what kind of success you’ve had. I bought a big pack of them and am trying them for the first time on some of my roses during our temperate fall weather. I filled the pods with a mixture of moist coco coir and perlite, scraped the outer layer off the stem and snapped the pod on. No rooting hormone. Maybe I should have? I would appreciate any tips or suggestions you may have. I’m excited about this possibility for several of my roses that are a bit more rare, hoping I might have a higher success rate of rooting than cuttings.

Comments (31)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 months ago

There was a post about this a few years ago. And those w bought them had good result. I've made a DYI version using small drink botles.cut up the side which also worked well. One suggestion is to cover the exterior with tinfoil or something as roots don't like light. I'm looking forward to your experience!

I also just used potting soil light with perlite.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Interesting, Vaporvac, about the roots not liking light. I kind of wondered about that. There was the option to buy black ones but I wanted to be able to see if roots are growing or not. Good tip to wrap foil around them! That way one can peel the foil back occasionally to check for root growth and yet give roots the darkness they want to develop. Thanks!

• susan9santabarbara
    6 months ago

As Vapor said, I'd always read that you cover the "pod", usually homemade, with foil to exclude light. I'm super interested to hear how this goes!

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 months ago

I use the older, larger (and more expensive! lol) versions of the pods. I can't remember the brand name. But I've had great success using them to root figs and roses. Of course, figs will almost root if you turn your back on them for five minutes. But I've also used them for azaleas, hydrangeas, and a few other woody plants. They're great. And yes, I recommend covering them with foil, but NOT because you need to exclude light, per se. It's just that the clear plastic acts like a greenhouse, and any direct sunlight will build up deadly heat inside very quickly. New roots are very tender and will NOT tolerate temps that high. I also use rooting hormone on roses, but not on figs or hydrangeas. They just don't need it.

• jacqueline9CA
    6 months ago

Wow - I had never heard or seen these. 3 months is better than 6 months, which the 1 gallon plastic bag for cuttings method I use takes. A bit worried about the heat for the roots - of course almost all of my roses are in full sun, so I will have to think about that. Black plastic gets hot too. Hmm - maybe I can get my DH to build some sort of small shade structure...

Jackie

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Jackie, that is what I think: using extra layer of black cloth to cover the pod might actually help. It not only blocks the sun, you can also soak it in water which could help cooling down the pods in hot summer.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    Original Author
    6 months ago

This is all such very helpful info! Newbie, your pomegranate trees you rooted this way are nothing short of impressive. I am curious, why can this not happen in the fall…is it because it takes several months to root and winter would hit before the rooting happens and the whole thing would freeze? Or is there some scientific reason that rooting just doesn’t happen in the fall? In my mild climate, I have rooted cuttings through the fall and winter here and have better success because I don’t have to contend with the constant heat trying to fry my cuttings before they root. I would like to hear some discussion on this.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

These are the ones I use. They are more expensive, but you can use them on larger diameter branches. They also have a water reservoir in the bottom so you don't have to worry about the rooting medium drying out. Mine are older, and don't have that reservoir. They came with a dental rinse syringe to add water. Inconvenient, but it works, lol. I may have to buy some of the new ones. The opaque label is supposed to be all you need to exclude sunlight, but I always use a very loose layer of aluminum foil, crimped around the top and open at the bottom, just one layer bound lightly with string right below the lid. It shades the pot, but air can still circulate between the pot pot and the foil.

EDIT: There's a very good explanation of how to use them and how they work on the Lee Valley page linked below.

The ROOTER POT

Photo from Lee Valley Tools.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    6 months ago

@judijunebugarizonazn8, thanks! I forgot to mention, I also used coco coir (no perlite) and rootone powder.

I read on the web, that spring is the best time to do air layering. Plants are growing actively, and temperature is ideal. I assume this more applies to areas with distinctive seasons. In mild climate, it should also work in fall or even winter. I just do not have experience myself.

I tried air layering roses. it is easier to get a big plant this way. but it is painful. Normally roses are short especially in spring, and they have a lot of thorns. Much easier to do cuttings. One thing though I found it was super fast to get callous (right word?) via air layering and it can happen in a couple weeks. But that does not guarantee rooting.

Good luck to your propagation effort 🌹

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    6 months ago

We just planted the little pomegranate tree in ground.

It is already root bound in a 3 gallon pot and the roots are now nicely evenly distributed.

It is amazing how much roots have grown in just 2 months. I really feel happy and encouraged!

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Good job on your tree, newbie! That looks like a very healthy, happy tree that’s ready to hit the ground running.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I’ve tried twice today to post an update on this thread and neither tries posted. I’ll try again with my pictures in a separate post to see if it works better.

So this is what I discovered… it works! Eight weeks later, even with cold nights and several hard frosts, my Abe Darby rooted beautifully with the pod! I had attached quite a few pods to different bushes, but my beagle, Max, decided it was his job to pull them all out with his teeth, ripping the branch off with it. I was so frustrated until the neighbor lady loaned me her bottle of Bitter Apple taste deterrent. It worked and I was able to save several from him. Next year I hope to start more this way!

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Look at those roots!

• berrypiez6b
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

judijunebugarizonazn8 Beautiful - did you ever think you would be so enamored with roots !

When I think of all the roses I could have rooted - oh well, I'll start next Spring. I want to have back up roses in case when I move them they decide to give up the ghost.

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

Judi, which brand did you purchase?

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I don’t remember, Susan… I just remember that I bought a ridiculously big pack of them. Like, a hundred plus. You’d think I was planning to start a nursery or something.

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

Thanks! I Googled them, and there are a bunch listed. Interestingly, some are colorless, but some are green and some black. I'll go back and check it out more. BTW, I have that rose for you we discussed earlier in the year... we can chat via email :-D

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Oh perfect! I’ll wait to hear from you by email. My daughter is going to be so pleased to have a rose with her name.

4 months ago

Yes, some of these little pods come in opaque containers so 1 doesn't have to worry about covering the roots. Super impressive roots everyone! I find propagating Roses 1Of the most fulfilling aspects of growing them!

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

Vapor, exactly! Although there is something attractive about the colorless ones and being able to see when roots form. I'm good at telling when a normal cutting has rooted, but I've never tried air layering before!

4 months ago

It's fun!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    4 months ago

Judi, very beautifully done. Congtatulations

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 months ago

Judi your results make me want to rush out and buy air layering pods. Lol about the dog, they just get obsessed with the weirdest things.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Do it, Ben! It really is fun. Hopefully Elon has better sense than Max about it. And the good thing is, the pods are re-usable… I mean, they are if Max doesn’t chew them all up before I get a hold of them again. I’d happily split my pack with you if I lived next door. As I said, I bought a bunch of them.

Yes, Berrypie, we gardeners do get pumped over the funniest things, don’t we? But then, roots ARE pretty important! :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 months ago

I've done the same thing several years ago with trees using a small pop bottle. The green ones for Sprite or Mountain Dew worked best..cut a hole in the bottom (also make top drinking hole bigger if need be) then cut the bottle length wise on one side, pack with soil and tape around it with duct tape..a good kind like Gorilla Duct Tape. It aint purdy but does work. I did 3 of my Buddah's Hand Citrus that way. Several Longan, Starfruit, etc. Not my idea, several people on one of the tropical fruit tree forums did it.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    4 months ago

Whether I do in ground air layering or use rooting pods, as recommended I always am sure to strip off a band of bark at least one inch wide and completely scratch off the underlying cambium layer, no rooting hormone necessary. Funny, but in July I had a rose loving friend over and he brought along a bunch of pods, I explicitly told him how to go about the procedure and not to slack off on doing so and handed him an exacto knife to get going. Mmmm, he was finished in rather a flash and I wondered if had done things correctly. I let those pods be for what must of been two months and upon removing them, zip nothing for roots. David had barely only bothered to scuff up and slice a few cuts in the bark in which merely had healed over. I razzed him a bit that next time he needs to listen! LOL. I develop a few roses of my own and David is a big clivia fan with many exquisite rare varieties, works good for both of us our back and forth trades, good rapport and banter well :)

4 months ago

Sultry, I have used small ocean spray cranberry juice cocktail Bottles!! This method is especially good for hard to root roses.

• susan9santabarbara
    4 months ago

I posted this a few hours ago, but maybe because I included a link to the product, it only showed for me.

I just ordered via Amazon... I decided on the small size, since I'm doing roses not trees. I got the one with 20 pieces for 11.99. Fingers crossed I made the right choice! Supposed to be here Tuesday :-D

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 months ago

Vaporvac, the cranberry bottles sound good! Thats something I usually have around. I dont drink soda much at all so I have to get the pop bottles from other family members lol. I always keep a few small soda bottles on hand incase we get a bottle baby (baby goat the mom can't feed for whatever reason) lol.

Probably any plastic container would work for rooting.

The rooting "pods" remind me of those clear empty christmas decoration balls they sell at the Dollar Tree or Michaels etc. that come in different sizes.

• rosaceae
    4 months ago

Like others have said you can diy it if you run out of pods. i did it seven whole years ago, whew.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3651665/successfully-air-layered-my-midnight-blue