Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Giving up on mystery "might be true Bloomfield Abundance"

jacqueline9CA
6 months ago

Well, I have had this rose in the ground now for over 6 years. About 3-4 years ago we moved it to my new, deer fenced garden. It took off, and is now about 6 ft high and 6-7 ft wide and deep. Blooms are gorgeous, as usual. It is in a very prominent place in that garden, being right after you come in the gate.

However, from the first it has been diseased. Not "spots", as others have reported, but just what looks like a horrible case of powdery mildew, with curled leaves, and a general disgusting look, except for the lovely blooms. Being determined to keep it, several times (at least 5 over a couple of years) I cut it back by about 50%, took the diseased leaves off of it, and sprayed it several times with Bayer Disease Control. I realize that young roses sometimes grow out of getting PM, especially when given more water, so I have been giving it extra water by hand (over what the normal irrigation system gives it) several times a week. The combination of all of this works, as the below photos will attest - it looked great. However, I discovered that in order to keep it clean, I had to establish a "regular spraying program", in addition to a regular "give it extra water by hand program". All of the rest of the roses in my garden do not need spraying at all (or extra water) to stay clean, and all of the ones near it n my new garden (chinas, teas, polyanthas, climbing miniatures, etc) are spotless without all of this extra fussing. I decided it was much too much work, and that I DO NOT want to have a rose which needs to be sprayed with fungicides several times a month.

I would seriously recommend this rose for a garden where, for geographical disease pressure or other reasons, the gardener has already established a fungicide spraying program. When the leaves are clean, it is a gorgeous rose. It makes a nice, rounded large free standing bush, and blooms constantly 10 months of the year here.

The good news is, after I have my gardeners shovel prune it on Wednesday (I will try and give it to them - one of them takes care of some large properties which may have a spraying program already in place), I have a prime space in the sun in my new deer fenced garden to put a new rose! I have realized over the many years that all of the roses which I love the best in my entire garden are old tea roses. So, I am searching for a new-to-me one to put there.

I have been disappointed lately looking up some tea roses in various old rose nurseries which HMF said had them to find that they were "out of stock" in all of the nurseries I looked at. RVR seems to be the one on the West Coast which has the most old tea roses actually in stock. So, I am going to start with a list of the teas they have, and then cross check them with the book "Tea Roses, Old Roses for Warm Gardens" to see what they think of the ones on RVRs list, and maybe ask folks on here. Then I will call RVR on the phone, as I have had good luck doing that to find out if they really do have a rose. The owner is always very nice and accommodating. So, I am now excited about a new rose adventure, which makes me less sad to have to give up on this mystery with the fabulous story. I guess I should not have been surprised, as it is thought to be a HT hybridized in 1920, when I guess everyone just routinely sprayed everything.

Here are some pics of the mystery after I had spent a LOT of time and energy trying to get it healthy:

Jackie

Comments (12)

• stillanntn6b
    6 months ago

You have both patience and luck.

Luck in that whatever strain of powdery mildew that rose has .....hasn't infected and affected your other roses.

Patience in that you have given it every chance to make good leaves. (My husband has one classic Triumpf that has gone from one repair to the next with brief road trips in between. I tell him the car hates him. He's started to almost agree. ) That rose doesn't hate you, but it's like a bully that's trying your patience and is about to find out it's pushed you too far.

On a serious note, in the plant pathology literature there's a report of downy mildew becoming systemic in roses. Once it's systemic what can you do? You may think your spray program is curing the rose when the problem has gone to dormancy until the temperature and humidity return to PM optimums. We don't talk about diseases that are suppressed rather than cured, but it would help our efforts to minimize spray regimens if we did.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thank you stillanntn, for the funny and interesting and supportive response. I have just spent a happy hour going through the tea rose book, and am getting excited!

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    6 months ago

To be clear, what my "mystery might be true Bloomfield Abundance" is exhibiting is definitely powdery mildew, not downy mildew.

Jackie

• stillanntn6b
    6 months ago

Downey mildew is so bad and persistent that it demanded to be researched.

Powdery mildew has almost nothing written about it. We read that it's not the same PM that Hollyhocks get, and a neighbor has major PM problems with her zinnias each year.

(PM isn't a problem on Rosa multiflora unless the rose has Rose Rosette and then shows PM symptoms.) (There is so much we don't know.) I even have spring weeds that seem to have PM, henbane being one of them.

Thank you for the pictures and for letting us mumble about it.

• roseseek
    6 months ago

It's actually a very good possibility that the reason the rose disappeared was because it very often looks terrible. I budded it to Pink Clouds and it grew and flowered and STILL looked horrible. I hacked it into pieces this past spring and sent it off to the green waste recycling. (Sorry Fred!) So, I do not blame you for dumping it. A shovel is the best disease cure there is.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    6 months ago

roseseek - thanks so much, now I don't feel as guilty about getting rid of it (I anthropomorphize plants, and hardly ever get rid of anything because I treat them like pets). However, this one was too much for me. As I said, I should not have been surprised, given that it theoretically is a 20th century HT.

Jackie

• bart bart
    6 months ago

Too bad, though-beautiful flowers.But if it's a loser, best to get rid of it.

• Rosefolly
    6 months ago

Jackie, it might be worth a trip to the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden to look at their Teas. I find that many Teas get PM in our climate, while others do not. I figure any rose that is clean there in will be clean for me as well.

Just a suggestion.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thanks, Rosefolly - good idea. I always forget that some teas get PM, as the only one I have that gets it (usually just in the Spring) is Duchesse de Brabant. However, it does not get it badly, nothing like my mystery.

Jackie

• ingrid_vc zone 10 San Diego County
    5 months ago

For what it's worth, Jackie, and I know our climate is not the same, my Madame Lambard was a very trouble-free rose over the years. It was a strong grower with no hint of disease that I can recall, and did indeed have quite some color variability. It's not a "refined" rose in the sense of Duchesse de Brabant or Mlle. Franziska Krueger but one doesn't want a garden full of only those. Having said that, I've recently ordered Mlle. Franziska again because my previous one was really beautiful once it had attained some years.

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks, Ingrid.

Jackie

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor