Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meems15

Roofing Help! Budget Buster.

Michelle NJ
6 months ago

Hi Houzzers. So I’m now helping with my elderly parents’ new home project (across the street from me). We are at the Demo stage. Design looks beautiful but metal roof is $28K more than standard shingle roof would be. Any alternatives that won’t break the bank but will still give this very modern look? Thx!!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Quicklok Cabinets
    6 months ago

Metal is worth it.

• Sammie J
    6 months ago

You didn't say what type of metal roof you are considering. There are many types - aluminum, metal panels, tin, zinc, etc. Maybe you can go with a less-costly option to get the same look.

If they can swing the metal, it's worth it. It will be lower-maintenance, durable, and provide great long-term value. In my area, we get insurance discounts for metal roofs...so over the life of the roof, it might end up costing less.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    6 months ago

Since you are only in demo…have your parents thought about age in place and accessibility in their plans? I see stairs to get in the house, stairs to get off back deck, and a second floor…

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    6 months ago

#WestcoastHopeful, thanks for your note. We will put in a ramp to the back deck for easier access. We are also putting in a Chair Lift to get to the basement. They will never need to access upstairs—it’s really only for guests and storage for stuff they don’t need to access regularly.

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Good thinking. Can the front be ramped as designed? I will ask architect but wondering if others have ideas.

• J Mig
    6 months ago

We are in the planning stages for our next to last home. We will put in 36” doorway and threshold less showers.

• PRO
    PPF.
    6 months ago

but metal roof is $28K more than standard shingle roof would be

Give us some specifics on the proposed metal roof.

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Hi PPF. Not sure what questions to ask?? All I’ve asked is whether there is a middle-of-the-road option between metal and shingles and got response that he does not know of any. 🥴

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

https://roofing.daltile.com/

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8Ak5HNo/

New Product shown at Contractors Show

F Wave Revia Synthetic Roof Shingle

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 months ago

you could easily do a black shingle. here are similar style homes w/the black roof

I did a few photoshops. you see the first two photos and the address over the garage?

I did one in 3 diff spots on yours. garage, under light, and vertical to right of window. I also gave you a better looking front door. (metal) I don't think that red is best option

Maybe it's just this rendition, but the stained wood on this reads very greenish/yellow. I'd be careful w/the stain color and NOT use that tone. You want something warmer, more like this color:

similar to your style. I think this is too yellow. (but notice the asphalt shingle roof)

This one is nice (and notice how they combined both roof styles). This is BlackBeauty for the paint color. landscape is beautiful beneath the white stone accent. see the walnut stained wood? you want something in this color family, less yellow.

Couple more photoshops w/diff door styles

This color is going to look better w/the properly stained wood color.

the after shot w/the dark/white and the walnut wood color is much better

here's another w/white stucco like you're doing. a tile roof is also an option (if you have the roof joists that can support this)

I did similar colors like you want to do, except my home is more mediterranean. I took off the old cement tiles and went w/these dark charcoal roof tiles. more expensive than asphalt, cheaper than metal. And these last well over 40 yrs.

The colors are Behr swiss coffee and BM Wrought Iron. don't forget to do the underside of the eaves in the dark

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Um Wow! BethH, Thank you so much for taking the time to dobthese renderings and to find me so many great visual examples! I think I’d actually be ok with a shingle roof if I could find a true black. Contractor gave me one company as an option—Timberline. And from the samples he left me, it looks like “Charcoal” is closest to black but basically it’s dark-ish gray at best (see pic below). True black would definitely make this roof better match the modern aesthetic of the house design. Anyone have another brand of shingles that offer a color closer to true black??

• HU-227031627
    5 months ago

Where are you located? A black roof is going to absorb more heat than a lighter color one. If you are down south, that can be a problem.

Moreover, the metal roof may be more money, but it has better hurricane resistance. They are also better in places with a lot of snow.

Design and color matter, but are secondary to functionality.

• blfenton
    5 months ago

Our new build is similar to that of your parents. We're doing metal roof (don't have a choice as we're designated Wildfire Hazard Zone) and we were going to go black but when we put it beside the colour of the house we found it really harsh and so went to Charcoal.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 months ago

HU, I'm guessing NJ since that's in her name-tag.

Michelle, there are plenty of other roofing companies. Timberline isn't the only skin in the game. It's your money, you should be able to spend it where you want. Check out other roofing companies for asphalt shingle you may like. (I looked at Eagle roofing and Boral. they will send you free samples) Keep in mind that when that goes on top of the roof, it's going to lighten up quite a bit. my roof tiles were very dark charcoal and once installed they look silver!

As for the comment on "black absorbs heat", I'm in so cal and pretty sure we get hotter temps than NJ. (Plus I'll also add my particular tile have a CCR rating for hot temps)

There is an underlayment they put on that cuts the heat absorption. it's a Gel Pad that's blue. I'm sure your roofer knows what it is. If you're worried about heat, have them use the underlayment.

Also too, roofing tiles are not available throughout every state. It goes by geographical locations. For examples, tiles here in so cal may not be avail to be used up north and vice versa.

• Jan
    5 months ago

I know you didn’t ask but I would favor a two car garage.
    Who cleans the upstairs?

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank all for the additional input. Jan, we could only do a 1-car garage because maxed out on interior space allowed on property without applying for a variance—and wanted to avoid that complication/delay. But yes—a 2-car would have been way better. And they will have a cleaning helper once a week to clean so really no need for them to head upstairs ever.

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Update: So the metal roof is happening. Yay! Now please help me choose which one from samples?? The top one is the darkest and most consistent black. Is that what I want for this very sleek and modern look? Thanks!

• Mrs Pete
    5 months ago

Metal is fantastic. It's expensive up front, but you'll probably never have to do anything to it. My parents replaced the roof on their old farmhouse while I was in college. I'm retired now, and they've never spent another penny on it.

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

@Beth H: Does a metal roof look lighter after it’s installed? Michelle needs to pick a color no my first thought was the slightly lesser black might be pretty. But if it starts looking lighter, that won’t work.

I’m glad you’re doing the metal, Michelle. I hope you shopped it and got a fair price.

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Oh. I did not shop it. My contractor just gave me a price. Whoops? He’s ordering it as soon as I give him the chosen color. Should I delay and do my own shopping around?

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Does $28K MORE than a typical shingle roof sound about right? We live in New Jersey.

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

I have no idea but we had terrible wind storms here in TN last summer and so many of us had to get new roofs. We got 5 bids and they went from $25,000 to $72,000. Our insurance adjuster also appraised the job so we could get the percentage they normally pay from our policy.

I’ve recently priced decks and the prices went from $28,000 to $48,000 - always for the SAME EXACT JOB.

I am sure you trust your contractor but I would get other prices just in case. Hopefully, he is not the most expensive. And pricing varies from state to state so we can’t comment on your bid without living in NJ and knowing the size of your roof.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 months ago

Here's the Englert Ultra-Cool in dark bronze

these are all black from same company

Red, to answer your question, Yes, I think the black could look lighter depending on the direction of sunlight

Michelle, I like the dark colors. check out some photos they have on their page

https://www.facebook.com/EnglertInc/

matte black

Charcoal

dark bronze

charcoal gray

have you considered saving some money and doing a combo of both materials?

• tozmo1
    5 months ago

I'm big on shopping for best prices but with a metal roof, another big factor is the installer. As metal roofs become more common you may not have a problem finding a very qualified installer, but my neighbor recently had a very bad experience with a metal roof installation i.e. leaking.

I know your question is about roof, but depending on how far along you are in the reno project, I strongly encourage you to reach out to a person who is certified in aging in place home building. Many interior designers also hold this designation. And talk to people who work with the elderly in retirement communities/assisted living.

Having recently had two family members who went from very active and mobile to needing a walker/wheelchair, I wish I had know options available. I am also in the process of purchasing a new build rental property for a family with a wheelchair bound teenager. The accommodations the builder is making is extensive and very creative.

A few of the accommodations: electrical outlets placed higher than normal and where possible, not placed behind furniture so no bending is needed to plug/unplug, lower wall switches for easy access, microwave that is accessible without stretching or bending, a counter in the kitchen for a coffee/tea bar with no cabinets underneath to not interfere with wheelchair, ability to turn a wheelchair (or walker) around in the bathroom (removed linen closet), an open space under the bathroom sink for wheelchair access. french door refrigerator with two separate freezer drawers (less bending, wheelchair/walker accessible), front loading washer/dryer on platforms for easy access, touch/motion faucets and on and on it goes. There are so many details that can make life easier for those who are mobility impaired. There are the obvious ones such as wider doors and ramps but the little details are very important. Be especially attuned to things that require bending, reaching and balance such as placement of shower/bath controls. If you have space, I encourage you to add a ramp in the garage. Otherwise the mobility impaired person will have to travel up a ramp in bad weather.

All the best to you and your parents!

• plf12652
    5 months ago

Remember that snow slides right off a metal roof so any landscape plants in the drop area can get damaged. I have 2 boxwood that have been damaged that way…..you can install the snow diverters on the metal roof to avoid that.

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

If it’s any help, our friends have a wide house (2 story) and their metal roof in TN was $52,000. They were careful to choose an exclusive metal roof company because installation is tricky. They really love it and felt the extra cost was worth it over time since this will be their forever roof.

Based on Beth’s great photos, would you do the darkest black or the softer black? Or did the bronze tempt you? Personally, I think you can’t go wrong with any of them.

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks, All! The black windows come in today so I think I will just try to match roof to them. Or maybe go a bit darker on the roof. Is that good plan??

• pkpk23
    5 months ago

Put your samples outside and check color at various times of day.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 months ago

yes, it's good to go a bit darker on the roof. Make sure to ask about the cool underlayment. I did the coo-gel underlayment w/my charcoal roof tiles. cuts the heat absorption by quite a bit.