Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

Has this ever happened to you? (Accidental thievery.)

Jilly
5 months ago

I’m horrified.

I went to the store for just a few things, using my big tote instead of getting a cart. My purse was on the same shoulder. I saw some good-looking apples and grabbed one.

When I got home, and put everything away, I’d forgotten I even picked up an apple (Honey Crisp, for the record). I went to put my purse up, it felt oddly heavy, and I found the apple in it. I actually gasped.

I swear to you — I heard sirens at that exact moment. I hurriedly put on lipstick in case of a mug shot.

I’m going back to pay for it, I can’t live with this. How dang embarrassing!

The evidence:

Comments (56)

• Jilly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

SEA! I‘m laughing so hard at the image of your DD loading up on goodies. She thought she hit the jackpot that day. 😂

• SEA SEA
    5 months ago

lol

Jilly thanked SEA SEA
  • gigi4321
    5 months ago

"I swear to you — I heard sirens at that exact moment. I hurriedly put on lipstick in case of a mug shot."

Haha!

A friend of mine was dying her hair. While waiting for the dye to set she went to hang some new curtains, fell off the ladder and broke her leg. She called 911 then dragged herself and her broken leg to the bathroom to rinse off the dye before they got there. She was equally worried about her hair color and looking like a mess in front of the, mostly likely, strapping young men coming to rescue her.

Regarding the extra groceries. The store made the mistake and could not take the groceries back. I wouldn't have thought of them as ill gotten gains rather a mistake that resulted in extra groceries, to be used or donated if unwanted.

From now on I will probably remember you not for the great decorating advice but as an apple thief.

Jilly thanked gigi4321
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Gigi! Your friend is me. I’d so do that. 😁

(I might change my profile pic to the apple.)

• Bunny
    5 months ago

"I swear to you — I heard sirens at that exact moment. I hurriedly put on lipstick in case of a mug shot."

I'd also make sure I was wearing nice underwear.

Jilly thanked Bunny
  • Ally De
    5 months ago

Not to change the subject at all, but I once took a shower and styled my hair before I agreed to go to the hospital with appendicitis. I was SWEATING from the pain but rather chanced death than go in what was my state pre-shower. (Yes that was dumb folks, don't do that...my only defense is that I was 20, too vain at that stage in my life, and not firing on all cylinders.)

Come to think of it, the gas station story was also from my early 20s...

Jilly thanked Ally De
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Bunny, absolutely! 😄

• Jilly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Ally, I can very much relate. See: when I went into labor with my DD. :D

• OutsidePlaying
    5 months ago

SEA SEA, my 2 year old toddler did something similar. I guess she was going thru her ’mermaid’ stage, as she picked up a packaged teaspoon. All the fancy things appealed to her. Remember when grocery stores sold stainless flatwear and dishes? I guess i stopped long enough near one of those displays and she managed to grab it without my noticing it until we got to the car. Of course we turned the cart around and returned it.

Oh and yes, i can relate to the lipstick and taking a shower. When our dog bowled me over and I thought I had injured a hip and had a cracked rub, I limped into the shower before heading to the ER. I had been to the barn feeding goats and horses and I just knew I probably smelled of all that.

Jilly thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Outside, too bad you can’t find one like it now — wrap it for Christmas and see if she remembers. :)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 months ago

Ha - I've done similar when using self checkout. I had a cold bag and put something in the cold bag, then forgot all about until I unpacked everything at home.

I'm sorry to say I did not return it, since the store is across town and I had to get to work. I rationalized that it was less than a couple bucks anyway.

I promise you, the cops don't know anything about it 😇

And the story about tiny children lifting things reminded me of a greeting card I received from a friend years ago that she said her toddler daughter must have hidden in her stroller while they were shopping and Mom wasn't looking - I saved it 😄

To be fair, I don't think she found it right away.

Jilly thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I just know I can’t eat this apple until I pay for my crime. I guarantee it would make me sick. :D

• Olychick
    5 months ago

I did something similar at trader joe’s recently - I slipped something delicate (banana? a greeting card?) into the outside zippered compartment of my big tote and found it when I got home. Next time I went back, I confessed at the customer service desk and wanted to pay. They wouldn’t let me, said to consider it a gift.

Jilly thanked Olychick
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

This particular store is always so busy and hectic, they’ll probably be mad I’m wasting their time. I’ll update unless I have to go on the lam. 🚔

• Springroz
    5 months ago

Ha!! I took 4 little tidbit dishes to the checkout, because the 4 I got home with were not on my reciept! I had done self checkout. The checker thanked mee for being honest. I could not LIVE with myself, otherwise!!!

Jilly thanked Springroz
  • heather483
    5 months ago

When one of my little guys--maybe age 4?--picked up a package of gum at the checkout, he showed it to me before we got back into the car. I marched him back into the store and went to the manager. He looked at me like he just did not know what he was supposed to do. Finally he explained to my little guy that if people took things without paying, his store would not be able to stay open. He was kind but firm, so it was a good way to learn that lesson.

Jilly thanked heather483
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Loving all these stories!

• teeda
    5 months ago

I am very impressed with your personal honor code, Jilly! And I can totally understand how it could happen. In fact, I struggle with even using a tote bag in the store--I can't help feeling like some kind of shoplifter. I probably go a little out of my way to be explicit and obvious about placing items in the bag, lol.

Jilly thanked teeda
  • Fun2BHere
    5 months ago

I’ll never forget the time I took a wrapped piece of candy from a restaurant cashier station when I was about 5. My mother marched me right back in, made me give them the candy and apologize. I was scarlet with embarrassment. No coddling from my parents. Consequently, I would probably feel as you do, Jilly, about the accidentally purloined apple.

Jilly thanked Fun2BHere
  • daisychain Zn3b
    5 months ago

Last week, I accidentally left the store without paying for the kitty litter on the under side of my cart. I came back and explained to the girl and paid. She looked at me like I was nuts and said that most people would have just left with it. Honestly, there was a time I probably would have too, but it wasn't a big deal to go back and I can afford it. If it had happened 20 years ago when I was hauling two toddlers around and our total annual income was $40 grand, I might not have.

Jilly thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • orchidrain
    5 months ago

Jilly, you are always good for a laugh! Hysterical.

Jilly thanked orchidrain
  • jill302
    5 months ago

Several years ago we used a local restaurant to cater a party, they dropped off the food. Later when we were looking to replace a tray we could not locate the second tray. We called the restaurant thinking it has been missed. They were great, they sent another tray to our house as soon as they could get it made. The next day we found the missing tray in our unlit lower oven, my MIL had placed it there to get it out if the way, but totally forgot when we had asked her about it. DH went to the restaurant to apologize and pay for the extra tray, they rewarded him for his honesty by sending him home with more food.

Jilly thanked jill302
  • mnzinnia
    5 months ago

When shopping out of town I selected several items, including clothing, then went through the checkout. Chatted with the cashier. Left the store and joined a friend in the shop next door. I told her I'd bought a few things and held up the bag only to realize there was a shirt hanging over my arm...unpaid for! I was horrified. What to do? I didn't want to be thought of as a shoplifter and I didn't want to get the cashier, who also didn't notice the shirt hanging on my arm, in trouble. I ended out putting the shirt in a bag, going back to store #1, sliding it into the cart and waiting a few minutes before going through a different checkout line. Despite all that, I really liked that shirt!

Jilly thanked mnzinnia
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

Years ago we were buying ski stuff for the season. At that stage, the kids needed all new stuff every year, arggh. Clothes, mittens, goggles, boots, helmets. And of course we got stuff sometimes too. One time we were shopping for ski gear, and it was a lot, covering the conveyor. When we got home, about an hour away, I looked at the receipt and realized that had failed to charge for 2 of the kids' Obermeyer ski suits; about $250 total. We called the store and the manager was flummoxed, and unsure how to even ring it up. He had to talk to his manager and call us back the next day.

I don't want any bad karma, not even an apple's worth.

Jilly thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • gardener123
    5 months ago

Jilly that is one pretty apple. I think it's calling for some almond butter.

A friend's husband was tasked with picking up a birthday cake on the day of the party. When he arrived at the bakery, they had no record of his wife ordering a cake. He told them guests were starting to arrive, and they quickly and apologetically decorated a cake and did not charge him for it.

A few hours later his wife received a call from the bakery—when were they coming to pick up the cake she ordered? He had gone to the wrong bakery. They went to both bakeries the next day and tried to pay for the cakes, but neither bakery would take the money, kind of like Jill302. I'm sure they have more than made up for it with tips, and the bakeries' good will is always a part of the story.

Jilly thanked gardener123
  • Allison0704
    5 months ago

I've enjoyed reading these funny stories.

Jilly, I do not believe it would be bad karma to eat the apple since you are going to confess and make things right.

I am somewhat paranoid when I check myself out (I never do self CO out grocery store), and triple check/count after scanning multiples of items before moving forward.

Jilly thanked Allison0704
  • arcy_gw
    5 months ago

No, but it's a fear I often have as I think I don't need a cart/basket for this quick trip into the store, and then discover I do!!! I also wonder what I look like on camera...do they follow me to the end and see me digging items out of pockets and purse at the register????

Jilly thanked arcy_gw
  • schoolhouse_gwagain
    5 months ago

When I go to Aldis, I carry one of their reusable bags inside instead of getting a cart especially if I'm shopping for just a few items. When I do self-check out I go out of my way to make sure "they" see that I'm emptying my bag completely before I refill it. "They" probably wouldn't even watch if I didn't appear so guilty.

The shirt across the arm - I've done that, but usually catch it before I leave the register. The cashier surely notices it however doesn't remind me I have the shirt (or whatever item).

Jilly thanked schoolhouse_gwagain
  • Kswl
    5 months ago

Many times (more than I care to confess) I have walked out of a store with milk or TP or paper towels or some other bulky item i did not pay for on the lower shelf of the grocery cart because I was too distracted. Of course discovering it as I am loading the car always results in a trip back into the store and another wait in line. As has been noted by others, the cashier is always amazed and I am always apologetic, not only for my own perfidy but for others’ as well!

Jilly thanked Kswl
  • aok27502
    5 months ago

A few months ago I was grocery shopping and went through the self checkout. I had wine, so when I finished swiping (ha!) everything, the attendant came to authorize it. She finished, I put my bags in the car and headed home. A mile or two later, I thought "hmm, I don't remember putting my credit card back in my wallet. Uh-oh, I don't remember taking it out." I totally forgot to pay.

I turned around and went back. When I explained, they looked at me like I had two heads, not comprehending why i came back . She had cleared the register, They didn't know quite know what to do, until they realized that I still had the groceries in the car. I took them back in and started over.

Jilly thanked aok27502
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

These stories are great, all, thanks for sharing and commiserating! :D

• HU-163897337
    5 months ago

Arcy, i would never put items in my purse! That could easily be taken as stealing and you might have a hard time getting out if that.

Jilly thanked HU-163897337
  • pugga
    5 months ago

My sister and I were shopping in a department store with my niece (about three years old) in her stroller.

When we got home, we discovered that my niece had nabbed a bra at the store and stuck it in the stroller. It wasn't even a pretty, frilly bra, just one of those sturdy, white, utilitarian ones. That was pretty embarrassing to take back.

Jilly thanked pugga
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Not even a pretty bra. 😂

• Bunny
    5 months ago

I'd never put items in my own bag or purse before purchasing. In my community you have to either bring your own bags or pay 10 cents per. "Do you want a bag?" Sometimes, if I just have one or two items, I'll say no. It feels weird walking out of a store holding things not properly bagged, but I have a receipt, just in case.

If I found a wayward, unpaid for apple, I doubt I'd make a special trip back. Next time I'm in the store, I'd say, I think I got an apple I didn't pay for, please add whatever that costs to my bill.

Jilly thanked Bunny
  • dedtired
    5 months ago

You all are more honest than i am. I went through the self checkout at Whole Foods, Scanned, bagged and paid for everything. When i got to my car I found an avocado rolling around that I had missed. At my WF you have to take an elevator up from the underground lot. I thought the heck with it, Im not going back up there. I figure I earned an avocado for scanning and bagging myself.

When i was about 13 a bunch of us poorly behaved young girls went in the local pharmacy together. I stole a six inch plastic ruler just to prove what a badass I was. Some other girl stole a bottle of Mantan (if you know what that is, you’re old, too). Recently on one of those Facebook local memories pages, someone mentioned that her dad, now living in Florida, had owned that pharmacy. I confessed my misdeed and asked her to apologize to her father.

And speaking of vanity, a couple years ago I was having horrible pain going down my left arm. I called my doctor and she said to go to the emergency room in case i was having a heart attack. I was pretty sure that wasn’t it, but I went home showered and washed my hair in case I was dying. It actually was pain from a torn rotator cuff.

Jilly thanked dedtired
  • petalique
    5 months ago

Never leave home without your head basket.

Jilly thanked petalique
  • nicole___
    5 months ago

Yes...I have had that same experience! It's so nice of you to put on lipstick. 🤣

This one we're still talking about. I unloaded the groceries, no Duracell batteries, little flat ones. DH called the store, yes they found them, they're at customer service. He drove back, picked them up. Then a week later I get the bacon out of the freezer...and...there's a pack of Duracell batteries stuck to the underside of the bacon! 🙄

Jilly thanked nicole___
  • Lars
    5 months ago

I had a somewhat opposite experience a week ago when I went to Shield's Date Garden. We spent a lot of money there on dates (mostly for use as gifts) and on the lunch we had. On the long walk back to the car, as we were passing a row of grapefruit trees, I picked up a grapefruit that had fallen from one of the trees and put it in with the dates. I figured that if they were letting grapefruits fall off the trees, then they were not interested in them that much. Anyway, they do not sell grapefruit in the store. Also, if I had not rescued the fallen grapefruit, it probably would have just rotted on the ground.

Jilly thanked Lars
  • gsciencechick
    5 months ago

I've been doing curbside pickup since well before the pandemic. It mostly goes very well but there are occasional errors, which says something because we do a pretty good sized order every week. But one week there were a lot of cars lined up for pickup and my entire order was given to someone else! I thought I saw my TP and something else that was unbagged. So, they had to reshop my entire order ~50 items while I pulled over into another parking spot. I don't think the people brought it back, at least not in the time I was there. Now when you check in on the app it asks you for your car color. At least now I have a green SUV, so there's not likely another one in the queue.

Oh yeah, when I had my TIA I had just worked out and was sweaty, so I also showered because I did not want to sit in sweaty clothes in the ER. Should not have done that either.

Jilly thanked gsciencechick
  • bpath
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

DS told me a story today that he said I could share here. When he was a youngster, he had gone to the video game store (GameStop?) to check out a game system he wanted. I think it might have been a used game. He wanted to see it with a game, so the clerk hooked it up to a monitor and put a game in it. He liked it, bought it, and brought it home…with the game disk still in it. When he went back to return it, the clerk was surprised they did because apparently the game was really expensive. He’s a good lad.

Jilly thanked bpath
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 months ago

GameStop! We used to take my DD there. :)

• rockybird
    4 months ago

While trying on clothes looking for a dress for a party years ago, the sales lady had me try on some jewlelry. Everything was rushed because the party was that night. I purchased a couple dresses, and a bunch of other items. I was almost home before I realized I still had the jewery on, which I had not paid for. Of course, I raced back to return it.

On the opposite side, I came home from the grocery store once with a large yam randomly in my grocery bag.

Jilly thanked rockybird
  • Bunny
    4 months ago

Looks like Man Tan lives!

When I was in 7th or 8th grade, my girlfriends and I were cruising the Macy's makeup counters where Revlon and Max Factor reigned supreme. There was a container on the counter with foil packets of some sort of facial elixir. We all went, Samples!!! So we each took one, very much in plain sight. On a subsequent visit, one of us noticed a subtle $5/each sign on the items. We didn't take any more, but didn't make restitution.

Jilly thanked Bunny
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 months ago

LOL, @dedtired only you would steal a ruler.

I figure I earned an avocado for scanning and bagging myself.

You did. DH and I always grumble about how, from supermarkets, to airports, to Dr.s offices, we have somehow become grocery and data entry clerks.

Jilly thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • rockybird
    4 months ago

LOL Jillly about the listick. That is hilarious. Years ago I was out mountain biking. I had left from my home and rode to the trails. It as at least 100 degrees and I shouldnt have been out there. There didnt seem to be anyone else out riding in the extreme heat. The next thing I know I’m on the ground dazed and in pain. My knee is sliced open. My tire was slashed. I could not ride home. As I’m trying to collect myself and figure out what to do…here comes a rider from the bike shop who knows me! And he parked at the nearest parking lot! He takes me home. I knew I had to go to the ER. But I wasnt going covered in dirt and wearing skimpy tight biking clothes. So I showered and put on clean clothes. The pain hitting the knee wound was awful. I ended up needing stitches. Two days later, I reaized I had also broken a tooth when to my surprise it just came apart at work.

Jilly thanked rockybird
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Rockybird, that accident sounds awful! So sorry that happened.

I’ve had severe heat strokes twice in my life and it’s scary how fast they hit and how sick they can make you.

• lyfia
    4 months ago

Oh Jilly you had me laughing. Apple thief and lipstick just in case.

In the summer of 2021 we ordered groceries to pick-up and part of the order had a bag of frozen corn which was important to the dinner we were having that evening. I unloaded my SUV and found no corn anywhere, so filled in to the app that I didn't get the corn and got a refund and went to the store and bought corn. Then a few weeks later after we spent two weeks away and parked at the airport we returned to a very sweet smelling vehicle. Blamed my child for leaving her partially eaten bag of candy in the car in Texas August heat. Well we get home and after unloading suitcases and raising the third row seats, I found the bag of corn and of course not thinking clearly pick it up and it leaks even more out so now the car stank even worse. After lots of cleaning and smell removing sprays (not deodorizers) the smell finally went away after several months.

ETA: Still feel dumb about this one. I should have just looked around in the car and not assumed it was the stores fault.

Jilly thanked lyfia
  • dedtired
    4 months ago

Mtn, I think i set up the theme for the rest of my life with that act of thievery. Only daring in the dumbest way. I avoid self checkout whenever possible but my WF makes it hard. Those kiosks at the airports make me crazy. I can never get that sticky tag onto my bag straight.

Rocky that sounds just awful.

Jilly thanked dedtired