Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

High Country Roses 2024 offerings

oursteelers 8B PNW
4 months ago

For anyone with a lazy Sunday afternoon planned, HCR has updated its list for your perusal

Comments (23)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 months ago

Thanks for letting us know. Do you know if they are having a Discount gift card sale this year? I think I don't get there emails anymore since I was hacked and changed mine.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Yes, the 15% off gift cards sale is going on right now

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    4 months ago

Is High Country no longer selling Austins? I see a bunch of them on their website but every one is sold out. Interesting that RU, Palatine, Chamblees and High Country all stopped selling Austins recently.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    4 months ago

I think they just list as sold out until Jan 10 when they start taking orders for all the restocked and new roses

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    4 months ago

High Country Roses has not stopped selling Austins. Oursteelers is correct.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 months ago

Had so much fun looking through the roses with the snow outside. Lots of beautiful additions. I'm not looking to add any but it is fun to think about.

• intwilight z6a KS
    4 months ago

Really fun to look, though I also do not plan to add any this year.

Diamond Eyes mini I bought last year was amazing all summer. Even when temperatures were over 100F routinely and the other roses were burning up, that little rose was on the south side of the house and just kept blooming. Blooms were more pink than purple in the heat wave but that was the only difference.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

@oursteelers 8B PNW, thanks for the heads up. my daughter will give me a HCR gift card for holiday. They are having a 15% bonus sale. Most of their roses are listed out of stock right now but hopefully they will become available in January. I am interested in Pop Art, Bolero, Twilight Zone, Easy on the eyes and Reine des Violettes

There are 7 almost all 5-star reviews for Reine des Violettes in HCR, all in the past 2 months in 2023. Really exceptional. I am wondering if anyone growing RdV now? How is it performing, regarding blooming, repeating, fragrance, size? someone mentions it does well in part shade.

• Josg Maggsib
    4 months ago

i'm quite interested in the listing of "snowball", a new large version of "sven" which looks very nice here in minnesota but is a bit too tidy for my liking. i'm planning on getting that, charles de mills, reine de violettes, stanwell perpetual, and felicite parmentier when the restock is listed next month. all of my hcr bands did well this year.

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 months ago

Reine de Violettes was one Matt recommended at a talk on roses at the Denver Botanical Gardens (2022 I think) as good for Colorado so I think alot of people picked it up to give it a try. I am also intrigued by it as the nearly thornless is very attractive.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    4 months ago

@mmmm12COzone5: thanks for the information. That explains why the reviews have flown in this year. This sounds a great rose even though my 8z east coast weather is very different from CO. I will get one if available

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 months ago

Earlier I perused the new for 2024 section and then the entire offering. I just went and looked at the new ones again. Pop Art is really calling to me. :-)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 months ago

It's getting good reviews! I really think you could fit 1 more rose in without taking 1 out. LOL!

• mmmm12COzone5
    4 months ago

Vapor, it is very tempting! My Souvenir De St. Anne was always a twig and got pulled by a hired weeder this past summer. But the spot is in the mulch bed so I wasn't planning to fill it.

I'd rather put something like this up in my rock bed. The roses do best there. Another possible spot is Fourth Of July's courtyard location. But my husband doesn't want to dig living roses so I kind of have to hope something dies.

• Ross 5b IA
    3 months ago

2024 ordering is now open at HCR. A few hard-to-find things are currently available (including the surprisingly-elusive 'Souvenir du Dr Jamain'). Alas, I fell for their bait-and-switch on several roses, including 'Général Kléber', now not even listed on the site.

It's not quite fraud to advertise these things -- while gift cards are on sale -- and then remove them. But it certainly leaves a sour taste...

• mmmm12COzone5
    3 months ago

Ross, Thanks for letting us know. Our weather is "ugh" here so perusing the offerings will be fun today.

I doubt there was bait and switched for the ones taken off the web site. I'm sure if you call and ask Matt he can explain what happened.

It may be that the seedlings didn't take or that there was a weather event that damaged the greenhouse and roses in a certain section didn't make it. They are located in an area which is known for tremendous winds. Today our outdoor carpet, table and chairs went flying over the deck with 50 mph winds. Someone nearby who has something unsecured and it hits the green house plastic it would create a huge hole that would allow weather in until workers showed up the next day. I'm not saying that happened but there are all sorts of possibilities why something would be listed earlier but not now.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I was able to get a few I wanted and will wait to use my gift cards on the others in spring. I do think their being in a colder zone means sometimes things don't look quite good enough to say for sure they will make it at this point in the year.

My gift card wouldn't work this morning so I had to call and was lucky enough to get Matt. The ones I asked about that weren't in stock he thought would be good enough by April to sell.

Sorry, General Kleber wasn't on my list for this year- it is on next year's list though!

• Josg Maggsib
    3 months ago

i was happy to get my first choices this morning with my gift card- charles de mills, reine de violettes, william lobb, cardinal de richlieu, snowball, and great maiden's blush. i didn't get felicite parmentier or stanwell perpetual because they were not in stock, but i suppose there is always next year! no doubt some of my roses won't make it through the winter, making room for new stuff.

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

Josg, you got some great purples there. Ch de MIlls and CDR are my two favorite Gallicas. They can sucker a bit. The last thing I ordered from High Country was John Cabot. He's doing very well but fairly new and I can't wait to see him bloom this spring. I ordered a few things from DA Roses and while I was at it I got Reine des Violettes on Dr. Huey. I hope it's not going to be virused. I really wanted one from Palatine on multiflora but Palatine removed it from their list .

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    3 months ago

I just placed order for Pop Art, Bolero, Twilight Zone, and Reine des Violettes using the gift card. Very happy and looking for them to come in March🌹

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

That’s funny, I also wanted Stanwell Perpetual and Matt said he thought it would be available in spring!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 months ago

Maybe phone HCRs, oursteelers. I got my Agnes that way when it was out of stock online. Matt said "Oh, I think we have Agnes" when I called on a Friday at 5:30 PM.