Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Spotted and Streaked Daylilies 2023

shive
4 months ago

Show us your spotted or streaked daylilies on this thread. I don't have any of those, but I know some of you do. I'm looking forward to seeing photos of them. The next category will be Unusual Forms on Sunday.

Debra

Comments (8)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 months ago

Just a couple of these here.

Upgrade has spotted petals every day. The spots are more pronounced on some days. I am trying to decide if the weather has a bearing on how pronounced the spots are.

Tall Dark Stranger has heavily veined petals on every bloom. This is the only daylily I have with the veining.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 months ago

Every time I see those spots it reminds me of my rose growing days. They look similar to Botrytis blight that appears on rose petals. I can't quite make the transition that spots are a desirable thing yet. Other then that I like Upgrade's color and pattern quite a bit...........Maryl

• celeste/NH
    4 months ago

I only have 3, so far. The newer ones are very pricey and desirable and the seeds from those crosses sell like hotcakes on the LA. Right now that's what's trending but it's an ever-changing market. In the interest of selling seeds I have to get more but they're not MY favorite look.

Explosion in the Paint Factory

Stone Palace Confetti

Wacky Wednesday

Here is one in my garden that IS NOT considered to be a spotted daylily but is always spotted, every bloom, year after year. I'm not even sure why! This is the oldie, Janice Brown.

Three different blooms on different days of the summer to illustrate the consistent spotting

• shive
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Celeste - It sounds like you are heavily into selling seeds now. I sold seeds on the Lily Auction for about 10 years, and it was always something fun to do in the off season. I've never gotten into the spotted or streaked ones, but I do like the looks of Wacky Wednesday.

Sherry - I've always liked your photos of Upgrade.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    4 months ago

I'm not really into spotted or streaked, but my Seedling VT Rose Rosy x North Wind Dancer reverse bitone had some streaks one day. It was my bud champ this year, 36 buds.

Brad

• celeste/NH
    4 months ago

David, I really like Stripe the Town. I like it better than Pink Stripes, perhaps because the color is more vibrant. Debra, yes....this is my 3rd year as a seller and it has helped beat the winter boredom and 'blues'. My alias is 'crazy4lilies' and that sums it up pretty much. LOL

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 months ago

David, I too like Stripe the Town. I like the shape of the flower much better than Pink Stripes and the color is gorgeous. We have thought about getting it although we are more interested in tets with stripes.

Here are the ones we have.

Spots and Stripes is ugly in my opinion. It sort of looks diseased.

I like the heavy stippling on Spots Before My Eyes. It appears to be a good grower too.

Explosion in the Paint Factory

Here is a tet seedling that shows some broken colors. The flower has a nice shape and the stats look good, but the color breaks are irregular and the contrast between the two colors is not very good. It is Iwanna Piranha X Horsing Around. We might register it as a hybridizer's flower because it contains genetics different from the rest on the market.

Pink Stripes is a good grower for us. I like the striping but not the flower shape.

Here are two offspring of Pink Stripes crossed with Perfect Pose. The pollen parent gave them a better shape than the pod parent.

We are working with stripes but in a limited way. We crossed Ruby Grandeur with Explosion, hoping for stripes. We didn't get any stripes, but we got rich red flowers on tall strong scapes. We will probably register one of them. We then crossed the seedlings back to Explosion, hoping for some stripes in the second generation. Those seedlings should bloom this coming summer.

We have two striped ones on order for spring. We ordered Richard J Howard, which is Explosion X Absolute Ripper and Striped Action, which is Tidewater Elf X seedling. We hope this one is real vigorous since Tidewater Elf is a great grower in our garden. We are leary of those striped daylilies out of Undefinable, which has a reputation of being tender.

Nancy