Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achb

what do you call the raised sides on a vanity countertop?

I am trying to find more ideas for a vintage / country house vanity countertop with raised sides like this example, but I don’t know the technical name of this side “backsplash” to search for. Does anyone know? Thanks!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

Take the picture to the stone fabricator and see if they can duplicate it .

• Ana Carolina Barretto
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks Patricia! I am actually looking for a slightly different style for these sides, but have been unable to find any other examples online because I don’t know what they are called so I am stuck. Do you happen to know the name of this design element? Thanks!

• ratherbesewing
    3 months ago

Sidesplash?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

That looks just a bit nuts , no offense..

There is no reason for the right side riser splash, and it makes it look quite like a baby diaper changing station!?

Side splashes protect walls from moisture. If No wall? An overhang of counter top 1.5 inches to protect side skin of cabinetry is all that is necessary.

The ONLY way your concept works? The "vanity" is the whole sink, floating free of any side walls. Otherwise? No.

Don't marry an elephant to a giraffe.- the result will be a visual circus.

Not everything you see on the internet is great.

• ptreckel
    3 months ago

The vanity top that you like emulates the wooden back and side splash on traditional dry sink, the top rendered in marble. A bowl and pitcher often were set on top of the marble.

• arcy_gw
    3 months ago

I'm with Jan. What do I call it--WEIRD.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

So you want this but not really something different . Post what it is you actually want it called a backsplash no matter what shape it is . I am one for thinking we live in the 21 st century and kitchens and bathrooms should reflect that . I do agree if this is what you want then do the sink Jan posted . The pic you posted is just plain weird with the vanity/

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 months ago

If you want this feel? (ptrekel above ) You false front/clip in the drawer fronts, get with a VERY good contractor with sink selection, faucet , every spec.

And I would UNDER MOUNT the sink and it should still not be jammed against a wall.: ) Free of any side walls please

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    3 months ago

Since these are seldom used or seen the term for the raised edge is probably obscure. "Sidesplash" sounds like a good descriptive term. I'm going to say that I actually like it in concept and function. Things can get a little "splashy" at a sink and having a water dam seems like a good idea.

• Maureen
    3 months ago

There really isn’t a name as far as I know; searched “antique bathroom vanity with side lip“ on Pinterest. Looks like you want a vintage/country house feel and found these custom designs; note the proportions/curves, and the vanity's style. There were lots more ideas and good luck.

• Ana Carolina Barretto
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks for the great references, Maureen!

• remodeling1840
    3 months ago

I’m stumped! I have seen so many antiques with what you are describing, but have never named it! I actually have a Shaker jelly cupboard with the back and rails. They actually served a purpose-retaining things that might fall off the back. I love the good old days when you could go to a library when they had real books, not just spy novels and romance books. There were actual reference books on topics such as American antiques, Victorian furniture, etc. For an internet search, check Victorian wash stands, sideboards (dining room). I think the Workshops of David T Smith has some made of soapstone online. And, in my personal opinion, to one of the above posters, not all of us want to live in the 21st century. Many of us are happiest recycling houses and furniture and decorating ideas for previous centuries.

• Isaac
    3 months ago

Search Craigslist for Victorian or Eastlake dry sinks or vanities - you may find one with a marble top like that, and may be able to get someone to fit an undermount sink in. Around here (Western MA) the Eastlake stuff is pretty cheap, even with marble.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

that does look a like a changing station. I'm guess they did that before plumbing when they washed in a bowl to keep the water from dripping off the top and on to the floor.

why not just do the marble backsplash and wallmount the faucet?

called a scalloped design

or you could have something made like this is your vanity is inset in between walls

this is pretty w/the little shelf. I think against a wall this side splash would look better

• ptreckel
    3 months ago

Isaac is correct. They are called Dry Sinks. That is where basin and pitcher for water were placed. Some have rails across the back or side for towels. They are good for adaptation for vessel sinks because of their lower height, although some are high enough to adapt for under counter mounts.

• Ana Carolina Barretto
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks all. There are beautiful references, Beth!

• cpartist
    3 months ago

Notice that on all of the traditional versions the side splash doesn't go to the front edge of the counter. Again it is done to only protect the rear of the cabinet.