Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

A Milestone I Almost Passed Over

Kswl
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

I hadn’t checked my Spelling Bee progress since early August, so this evening I thought I’d better see where I stood. Six days ago I hit the 900th consecutive day of Queen Bee. Every day I take a screen shot of the congratulatory message and every few months update the count in a text to myself. I check the pictures to make sure I haven’t inadvertently missed one, as I did last winter. I thought that was the end of my streak, but that same week the Times started archiving puzzles for several days so people could catch up. I was able to go back and complete it before the allotted time expired.

This obsession or compulsion, whichever it is, started during the pandemic and became a habit. For several months I set my alarm to wake up at 3 am so i could solve it and publish hints for newbies in the comment section. I tired of that pretty quickly as I was usually the third or fourth person to give hints. (I wasn’t using a word generator like so many of the hinters do). I have solved easy Bees in five minutes and very hard ones in hours. I don’t use the weird help ”assistant” they created but have taken the occasional hint from others, have gotten some words by trial and error combinations and still others by dumb luck. It’s a ridiculous thing really, but I love it and have convinced myself that it and my walks are helping to keep alzheimer’s at bay.

Comments (14)

• Olychick
    3 months ago

I look forward to working it every day, but never try for Queen. Every day there are words I've never heard of and I don't want to just jumble letters together to try to make words. I'd never get some of them. I stop at Genius each day. I usually stay up until midnight when the new puzzle drops and try to finish it before I go to bed. But if I don't, I can usually get back to it during the next day.

Kswl thanked Olychick
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 months ago

Wow! That is impressive. Congratulations!

It takes me quite awhile to solve them, and QB is not something I go for every day but on occasion. I do like the Spelling Bee Buddy which gets me closer. But take yesterday, I was 2 words short of QB, but gave up trying. After awhile, I just lose interest. I do get to genuis every day though. I'm more likely to hit QB with combos that yield fewer words. But when they yield a LOT of words, fuggetaboutit!

Kswl thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Olychick
    3 months ago

I think KSWL might be the Queen of Queen Bees!

Kswl thanked Olychick
  • legomom23
    3 months ago

That is super impressive! congrats and I hope it works as intended. I started doing the crosswords included with apple news a few weeks ago and I’m hoping for the same mental boost.

Kswl thanked legomom23
  • DLM2000-GW
    3 months ago

Reading the thread title, Dionne Warwick singing Don't Make Me Over pops into my head. Obviously I need coffee but there are worse ways to start the day!

Your streak is pretty amazing Kswl - 900 days - wow! Whatever else it may or may not be doing for mental health, it's keeping your out of the bars, right? ;-)

Kswl thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Bookwoman
    3 months ago

Kswl, that's really impressive! The Spelling Bee is how I wake my brain up every morning, along with a bunch of other puzzles. I always get to genius (sometimes with my husband's input, but I don't use the hints), but have only gotten Queen Bee a few times, usually on the ones that don't have too many words. I also look forward every weekend to the version printed in the Sunday NYT magazine, which requires words of at least 5 letters, and of course you can't shuffle them, so it's a slightly different experience.

Kswl thanked Bookwoman
  • maddielee
    3 months ago

Impressive, congratulations!

I’m an afternoon game player. I don’t drink wine often, there are some afternoons when I test wine’s effect on my game playing. I need to chart if I really do better Wordles after a glass of PG like I think I do.

• Kswl
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks, guys. 😁When I started doing the puzzle I stopped at genius because I thought that was the end. The spelling bee community was about five of us in a corner of the crossword forum and the grid was volunteered in the comments by a guy in Toyko named Doug. That’s how I found our there were words beyond genius🙂 even though the genius screen clearly invited further play, lol. When the game’s popularity exploded the Times gave us our own forum and took over publishing the grid and two-letter list.

if I’m honest, the game has not only kept me out of the bars (thank you for that, DLM!) but many days it’s given me something to focus on beyond the challenges we’ve faced over the past few years. It requires enough concentration that my mind takes a rest from everything else. I do the crossword and letter box and an extreme sudoku daily also but nothing is as engaging as the 🐝

• maddie260
    3 months ago

Oh, I am so impressed! Very Big Congratulations! Most days I just stop at Genius- ENOUGH. My sister often gets QB. We don't/refuse to use hints. I've gotten words by accident and then had to search for definition. The bee is pretty addicting.

Kswl thanked maddie260
  • Fun2BHere
    3 months ago

Wow! Congratulations!

Kswl thanked Fun2BHere
  • Bunny
    3 months ago

I have gotten Queen Bee a handful of times. Mostly I do as Oly does, go for Genius and stop there. I always check the words from the previous day. With most I smack my forehead because I should have known them. But "nankeen"? Nope. Not without doing some serious google diving.

Kswl thanked Bunny
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Lollol, Bunny! That type of fabric was mentioned in a book I read about British colonization-by-trade of some areas of China and the Boxer rebellion. I used to email my opinions on the kind of words Sam apparently considers common usage and point out the words he omitted but I got tired of it.

• dedtired
    3 months ago

Im another Spelling Bee fanatic but am satisfied to reach Genius and use the SB buddy . I cant decide if thats cheating. A little, I guess.

KSWL , you better not be Succinctly Steve. His hints are not always very helpful.

Drives me nuts when I miss simple four letter words, or anything else I should have seen. I do SB, Mini Crossword, Wordle and Connections every day, always in that oorder. I come back to SB throughout the day. My stats are all screwed up .

I can't believe you woke up at 3 a.m. to do the puzzle!

Kswl thanked dedtired
  • Bunny
    3 months ago

I do as much as I can on first blush. Then I go to Hints, the one that says how many words, pangrams (whether they're perfect or not), and number of words starting with first two letters. I don't consider it cheating. I mean, if there's only one word that begins with KE, I will not waste time looking for more if I get one. It's helpful, but it doesn't give you the word.

When I'm not gonna get Genius and I've spent way too much time already on it, I will sometimes look at the Community section which basically tells you the words. But I consider the game illegit if I enter any of those words.

BTW, congratulations Kswl, you Queen Bee, you. :)

Kswl thanked Bunny