Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yenlee99

Kitchen backsplash clashing with off-white cabinets

Odette Ibarra
3 months ago

HELP. I really love my backsplash but it was just installed yesterday and I’m hating the contrast between the cabinets and the backsplash. 😭 The appliances will be stainless steel and the faucet champagne bronze. Attaching a rendering.
I don’t know what to do - should we replace it? Wait and see what the overall look will be? Or is there a coat of “something” that can be applied to the backsplash and bring it closer to a warmer color?
TIA.

Comments (23)

• Odette Ibarra
    Original Author
    3 months ago

This is the backsplash

• Joseph Babcock
    3 months ago

Have you tried warmer overhead/ under cabinet lighting? It’s hard to know how much of the contrast is due to the room lighting from digital images.

• susan49417
    3 months ago

What is your countertop? What is the flooring?

• Odette Ibarra
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I will take a picture with a white pager against the cabinets.

COUNTERTOPS: Calacatta Brunero Quartz
    FLOORING: Christian Creek, Camille

• mojavemaria
    3 months ago

Your cabinets and tile are nice but not together IMO. The tile is not only a cooler color than your cabinets but very busy. With all the detail in your cabinets a warmer, simpler backsplash would be better so you don't have two things fighting for attention.

• Fran Gil
    3 months ago

The grout you used is considerably darker than the grout in the picture of the marble you ordered. That could just be because the grout hasn’t dried out yet. The herringbone marble and grout I used for my fireplace looked much lighter 2 weeks after the install after the marble and grout dried out. I suggest waiting to see if that occurs in your instance.

• bjstem
    3 months ago

Yeah thats pretty horrid. I am guessing you spent a fair bit on your cabinets so id look at replacing the backsplash first.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 months ago

Yea....that's a color clash for sure, cool white-gray with warm white. The typical advice to put all your things back in place and pull the eye away from it with shots of color just isn't going to work here, it's a glaring difference. IDK what you could do to fix it other than rip it out and put in something else.

• Odette Ibarra
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Ugh… I know. The “designer” said it would be fine and we went ahead with her advice. Cabinets were darker than she said they would. So frustrated with the whole contractor crew.

• skmom
    3 months ago

Is that even grouted yet? It looks like there’s no grout yet. I’d wait to pass judgement. Warm and cool CAN look very, very nice together. It is still possible to have that look excellent in my opinion. You’re looking at it with no lighting, I assume no grout, no countertop, no appliances, and I don’t see the flooring either. Try not to panic yet.

• A J
    3 months ago

The rendering looks lovely but the actual photos of your kitchen I don't love. But maybe it'll turn out beautiful. What does the designer say at this point? Worst case, can you paint your cabinets a white? Not that that's a cheap option either.

• acm
    3 months ago

The glaze added to your cabinets has darkened them relative to the renderings and made them busier than they would have been. Unless they were literally painted a wrong color (like a tan rather than a cream), you're probably going to have to live with those and bite the bullet on the backsplash. So sorry.

• susan49417
    3 months ago

Agree that the backsplash is a bad choice with cabinets. I would abort now and remove what has been installed. Once you have appliances, flooring, counters, light fixtures in place, then start shopping for backsplash. Bring home samples to see them in your space with your finishes. Remember, no one ever died because their backsplash had to wait to be installed.

• blfenton
    3 months ago

Take out the backsplash and WAIT until the counters and floors are in before revisiting the choice of backsplash. You need to wait to see what the counters and cabinets looks like together.

The counter is chosen but now the cabinets are darker than what you thought they would be. I would get the sample of counter again and see what it looks like against the cabinets as they are now and not as you originally thought they would be. Whites are the hardest colour to work with and have them flow.

The cabinets have a lot of detail in them and the floor appears to have some detail as well but colour wise looks like a good neutral. I suspect that your backsplash will have to have few grout lines(so a bigger tile than what you have) to make this work.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

not sure why you chose such a white tile w/that creamy cabinet color. this is why you should wait until everything is installed before picking a backsplash.

what's the countertop? white? how about your vent hood? will most of this be covered?

what are you doing around the window area? more of that tile? any shelves?

This flooring looks nice w/the cabs, and hardware, but I prob would have picked a diff tile

The Cloe tile in cream would have been a perfect choice

• izeve
    3 months ago

It hasn't been grouted yet, right? The backsplash will look very different when grouted with a light grout.

• eld6161
    3 months ago

I disagree with above. It will still look too white next to the cabinets.

Sorry, but there is no way to fix this. Sometimes it's the counter that clashes and then by picking the bs is can come together.

This is not your case.

I would remove it, have the counter installed and then pick a warmer tile for the bs.

Years back I had a similar delemma. I chose the wrong counter and it clashed with my white cabinets. I thought putting in a white tile would be the answer. It was removed the next day!

It took me 6 months to find a tile that transitioned from the white cabinets to the brown/ cream/ taupe counter.

This mistake will hit you in the face everytime you walk into the kitchen.

• izeve
    3 months ago

Looks like the counter is already installed? I would ask the tiler to grout at least a small portion before you make a decision to rip it out. I think it would be worth it to see how it looks grouted and next to the counter and cabinet.

• annbecchina
    3 months ago

I agree that the grout color could pull it all together.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago

looks like OP doesn't care to check back.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

This backsplash will be very busy and too white no matter what grout you choose.

A friend of mine installed what looks like the exact same tile with driftwood-like brown cabinets (very hard color to describe any other way) and the day after this backsplash was installed, they were discussing taking it down. It’s not just the clashing of the cabinets and the tiles - it’s the “overwhelming-ness” of the herringbone pattern. They changed it to a more subtle picket tile with white grout and it looks great.

Bite the bullet and take it down.

• Odette Ibarra
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you everyone who has contributed to this post!!! I am talking to the contractor since countertops are installed and we’ve had some other [more important] issues arise (we’re remodeling the entire house). Hoping we have a solution this week. Thank you!!🙏