Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

Very gloomy day so today is for the cheerful yellows

oursteelers 8B PNW
3 months ago

I don’t have a lot of yellows so I’m counting on you guys to carry this one too!

This one is definitely considered a white but it certainly has a yellow glow in yard!

Kronprinzessin Viktoria

The Pilgrim is one of my favorite climbers regardless of color

Comments (38)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Chantilly Cream is a little bit splotchy for my taste but I still like her a lot

Vanessa Bell-best yellow out there in my opinion for color

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 months ago

Yummy yellow!! I love yellow and all blends with yellow.

Julia Child

Easter Basket, this rose just keeps blooming and never causes any drama

Geeze, I wish that I could remember what this is

Radiant Perfume, sent as a mistake but I really like it

3 months ago

Kismet mini

Prairie Sunrise my personal favorite

Daybreaker

Valencia

3 months ago

Kismet mini

Prairie Sunrise my personal favorite

Daybreaker

Valencia

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Every time I see Valencia I wonder WHY I don’t have it. That center is everything I love about roses. The swirling different shades all coming together….so,so good!

• Ashley Smith zone 5a
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Life of the Party June 2023

Life of the Party today :(

• jerijen
    3 months ago

Well, I don't have many yellows either. But I love what I have.

There's 'Bishop Darlington' -- SOMETIMES yellow . . .

And 'Crepuscule'

R, banksia lutea

'Crepuscule'

'Jeri Jennings'

"Schmidt's Smooth Yellow"

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

As Noseometer would say, " Wow wow wow!" All gorgeous. Those are some amazing ht's , Catspa. I especially like your first picture, Jeri , with the Bishop Darlington. It's just a pretty garden picture.

I had a big plant of The Pilgrim but since I hardly ever water my established plants it died in drought. It was about 8x8'.

I think my favorite yellow is Well Being . It has great fragrance, great repeat, makes a sturdy shrub, has better health than most and is tough. It can be pale yellow with pink edges or deep yellow with rust edges.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    3 months ago

I too adore 'The Pilgrim', but it doesn't want to grow for me.

That 'Jaune Desprez' is magnificent! Wish mine looked like that!

"Schmidt's Smooth Yellow" is lovely. It reminds of of 'Francesca' in her happiest mood. Alas, along with David Austin roses, I also can't get Hybrid Musks to grow. Sometimes I feel deprived.

But then, along comes a good bloom of 'Etoile de Lyon':

This photo shows it a little peachier than usual; its color is more usually reminiscent of butter and cream. The only problem with it is that the rose chafers adore it, so I get few unspoiled blooms.

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

Other yellows I like:

Crocus Rose...grows well and makes a fairly big but not huge plant. But mine is bs prone. Some say it's not.

Ghislaine de Feligonde very healthy

Graham Thomas

Danae

Allister Stella Grey

Spiced Coffee

Golden Celebration

• catspa_zone9sunset14
    3 months ago

I once grew 'Etoile de Lyon', too, Melissa, but grew so discouraged with how frequently the blooms on an entire shrub would be ruined by the least drop of rain or fog here (and they never self-cleaned -- each ugly wad of brown petals needed to be removed by hand, which was daunting with an 8' x 12' tea!). But, oh, when it was good! The leaves were always perfect, too.

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Molineux

Julia Child

Baby Peace

South Africa

Julia Child

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    3 months ago

Tottering Gently By

Teasing Georgia

Winter Sun

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Tottering By Gently is so delicate! I’m so excited I finally have one coming!

• roseseek
    3 months ago

Golden Oldie (Davidson)

Sir Henry Seagrave

1-72-1

1-72-1Hugonis flore plena

R. Xanthina

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    3 months ago

Strange, catspa, that's never been a problem with my EdL. You will note in my photo above that it was raining at the time.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 months ago

Mine is like yours, Melissa. Go figure, I would have thought your EdL could be perfection, catspa.

• Soozie Q, zone 10b
    3 months ago

Eureka. Never been fertilized, hardly watered in our drought but it's the healthiest rose in my garden. Unfortunately there's barely a scent but I forgive this fuss-free rose. Sometimes ya gotta trade in some traits. Yellows are not my fav but I do love this hard working rose.

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

First bloom on my Golden Century

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

Eureka looks like a great plant.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

Part 1

Symphony, an early Austin

Shockwave (as a standard with General Sikorski growing into it)

Oregold

Mellow Yellow

Lemon Spice (at about the lightest it ever is)

Julia Child

Sunsprite (with Orange Sensation). I can't believe this is the only pic I have of Sunsprite, a top fave. I kick myself for not going back a day or two later to get the combo more open.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

Part 2

Jean Giono

Honey Bouquet

Gina Lollobrigida

Fred Howard

First Impression

Doris Day

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Love Shockwave with the clematis!

• catspa_zone9sunset14
    3 months ago

The thing with 'Etoile de Lyon' here (mine came from Vintage), Sheila and Melissa, was never an issue until, apparently due to climate change or some other reason, our rainy season started extending well into May (as opposed to ending in April), thus catching EDL in full bloom, leaving every bloom of the first flush with an ugly wreathe (and sometime more than just a wreathe) of brown guard petals (Christopher, aka "AquaEyes", once characterized the brown guard petals as a signifying feature of EDL, but he just peeled those 5 petals off). Later flushes would produce beautiful flowers, but something like three or four first flushes in consecutive years became ruined eyesores, so I gave up. 'Souvenir de Pierre Notting', which looks very similar, does the same thing a bit, but never nearly as bad, whether because of where it the growing, the clone, or some other reason, I don't know. Here is 'Souvenir de Pierre Notting', which I still do grow -- he's a beauty, too:

• roseseek
    3 months ago

@susan9santabarbara I'm so glad you have Lemon Spice! It was one of the first roses I bought umpteen dozen years ago and it always delighted me with those wonderfully scented blooms. David Armstrong raised some marvelous roses, Lemon Spice, Touch of Venus and Sweet Afton three of his best. And, I'm glad you have First Impression. Jim Sproul reports it has good downy mildew resistance and I've found it to be a very good breeder. Being a fertile triploid, it grabs and passes on odd traits with some very interesting results. Should you ever decide to play with any breeding....hint, hint...

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

@roseseek Lemon Spice was the favorite rose of my original rose mentor, so it was one I got right away when we bought this house in 1997. I now have 5-6 of them! I always joke that First Impression was named because it's the most perfectly formed pure dark yellow on day 1-2, and then fades pretty fast. It's still a fave of mine. BTW, I have 6 rooted Pink Clouds, and the IXLs are rooting... I'll be in touch soon :-D

• roseseek
    3 months ago

@susan9santabarbara congratulations! They ARE easy to root, aren't they? You're going to have SO much fun!

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

@roseseek I think it was literally 2 weeks!

• roseseek
    3 months ago

@susan9santabarbara I believe you!

• Ellen Harold
    3 months ago

I love yellow roses; in my mind they are in a class by themselves, but I don't have many -- only Golden Wings, Prairie Harvest, and Charles Darwin. In other people's gardens Agnes takes my breath away, and I like Charlotte, too, to name a few., not to mention the wild single ones that open in the spring. They remind me of Chinese enameled ware or painted porcelain.

Above is Golden Wings. It is the wrong rose for my tiny garden because it is very big and has vicious thorns, but it does bloom continuously. It is a diva and I love it.

When I lived in Philadelphia I visited Longwood Gardens decades ago, and there was a planting of three of these big bushes close together, and you could detect the lovely spicy fragrance from 20' away, exactly as described in the rose books. The following year I went back, just to pay it a visit, but the planting was gone, never to return. I have never smelled any fragrance on my own specimen.

I got Prairie Harvest a long time ago after reading about it on a blog. Here it is on May 27, 2023.

The other rose is Gruss an Aachen.

It had a flush in November, too (not pictured). Below on Jan. 8 of this year (2024).

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

CHARTER 700

DORIS DAY

DR AJ VERHAGE

GARDEN DELIGHT

GLOWING

GOLDEN CHARM

GOLDSTRIKE

HENRY FONDA

KING'S RANSOM

MIDAS TOUCH

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 months ago

Life of The Party

Marchael Niel

Teasing Georgia

Mlle. Franziska Kruger - sometimes yellow-ish, peach-ish, pink-ish lol

Rosette Delizzy with a friend ~in a yellow mood.

The Saddlebacks loved Julia Child lol..Out of all my roses they only attacked two..PJP2 & Julia Child.

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Colors of Life of The Party and Garden Delight are big plesant surprise for me. I have ordered both for this season and was nervious whete to place them!

• johntweimer
    2 months ago

Teasing Georgia

• berrypiez6b
    2 months ago

Good Heavens sultry be careful !

• Formerly RBEHS Z10A/S17
    2 months ago

Fred Howard just popped up as my desktop background image on this wet and windy night, so I took that as a sign to share the picture here:

• berrypiez6b
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Formerly RBEHS Z10A/S17 quoth the Raven " Fred is terribly good looking ".

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting