Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

Last day, show your stripes!

oursteelers 8B PNW
3 months ago

Haha, for the first one I’m showing one that isn’t even a stripe but her edges are so distinct she has to go somewhere🤦🏻‍♀️

Leda

Crazy Fashion

Easy Fashion-this poor climber is in a terrible spot. My only hope is that it came from Palatine and their roses are so healthy that I think it will have the oomph to get to the sunlight before it kicks the bucket. Once it can get there I have no doubt it will do great.

Comments (58)

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    3 months ago

I posted these last spring on Carol's thread, but some time has passed. These are some of my striped oldies:

'Robert le Diable', very finely striped, not showing much of the brown tone that distinguishes it. This looks pinker, less purple, than most of the blooms I see.

'Belle des Jardins', a big fine rose, also from Petrovic. The plant is doing fine, but I wish it would sucker out, so I'd know it was a permanent resident (it's been in place for over a decade).

'Mme. Moreau', a striped Moss. Good rose, which I never hear of outside my garden. This came from Petrovic.

'Incomparable', another very finely striped kind, though it's hard to see in this photo. The quilted leaves are a bit odd, too, but the plant, a rambling Gallica, grows fine.

'Pompon de Panachée'. An adorable rose, low-growing and suckering like a Gallica, with little white blooms striped with pale pink.

• elenazone6
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Amazing roses! I very like Raspberry Cream Twirl and Wonderstripe !!

I have only Peach Swirl and Sentimental in this category, I have already posted.

But ordered Pop Art and Crazy Faison. Now want more!!

Wonderstripe looks so close to Eduard Monet I was planning to buy...

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 months ago

Melissa, it is great seeing you posting photos now. It is really fun for us to see your treasures.

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

One I appreciate having: Art Nouveau. The vertical stripes down the middle of each petal are unique. The plant has good vigor and repeat.

Maurice Utrillo ..tends to be healthy and is vigorous

Edgar Degas from Cynthia ( Nippstress) It's a healthy thing

Alfred Sisley has lived in this pot many years..it's a tough one, very healthy

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    3 months ago

Marc Chagall.

I added raspberry cream twirl and I can’t wait for it to look like Oursteelers and Dianela’s!

• seasiderooftop
    3 months ago

Oursteelers, I'm tardy to this party but what a fun idea to do these color theme threads! Such beautiful pictures of roses old and new!

I'll add a few to the list: First is Fizzy Lady, which is quite probably the same rose as the one sold in the US under the name Show Your Stripes. It's scented but only moderately so. I will say it's a good, healthy plant, but for some reason it just doesn't make me feel anything.

Second pic is Emilia Castelli, she really impressed me last summer: that picture was taken in the middle of a heatwave and she seemed to be loving it! Stays small and healthy here. Fragrance is divine.

Last is Berlingot, i love the paler colors on this one and the bees love the lower petal count. Fantastic fragrance too, strong rose with a hint of violets.

• jerijen
    3 months ago

'Fourth of July'

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 months ago

Deanna Krause. A really great rose ! Light rosy fragrance, excellent health for black spot and a bushy complact . Shape. Available from Antique roadshow porium. You know what I mean I hope. Can't edit. I'm checking my latest pics to see if I took any of Paul jeric Jera beck, Peggy M., and Edgar degas....

• roseseek
    3 months ago

Moser Striped Rose (Rainbow)

Lynnie Moss

Striped Lynnie

Kim Rupert

Strawberry Swirl

Rose Gilardi

Secret Recipe

Raspberry Stripe

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

My 2 cents: Peach Stripe and Scentimental.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

Part 1

Simsalabim

Claude Monet (the 1992 Jack Christensen one)

Parade Day

Neil Diamond

Camille Pissarro

Broceliande

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

Part 2

Orange Splash (the lighter one is the original, the darker is a sport... I have both on both of my plants)

Alfred Sisley

Alakazam

Rainbow Niagara

Peach Swirl

• sylviaww 9a,hot dry Inland SoCal
    3 months ago

I’ve been waiting for this day..but I can only post this one Camille Pissarro because all my photos haven’t been “selected” by Houzz and I can’t get them from my library to this page. Aagh!

• sylviaww 9a,hot dry Inland SoCal
    3 months ago

I have so many striped roses photos. How do I do this? Asked by a compleat idiot..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Do you maybe have to do one at a time? The most I can post at one time is three.

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

Ah,,, my other favorite category!

A NIGHT OF MAGIC CL

ABRACADABRA

ALFRED SISLEY

ALL AMERICAN MAGIC

ANN HARDER

ANVIL SPARKS aka AMBOSSFUNKEN

AVANT-GARDE

BROCELIANDE

BURLESQUE

CAMILLE PISSARRO

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

CANDICE

CANDY STRIPE

CHIHULY

CITY OF CARLSBAD

CLAUDE MONET

CRAZY FASHION

DARING SPIRIT

DEANNA KRAUSE

EASY FASHION CL

EUREKA

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

FESTIVAL FANFARE

FIRED UP

FREEDOM'S RING

FRIDA KAHLO

GEORGE BURNS

GRACE DONNELLY

GRIMALDI

GUY SAVOY

GYPSY LANTERN

HENRI MATISSE

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

HIGH & TWINKLE

HYNOTIZED

JERRY MATHERS

JERSEY BOY

JH PIERNEEF

JUICY TERRAZZA SPLASH

LA PARISIENNE

MARC CHAGALL

MAURICE UTRILLO

MEMPHIS MUSIC

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

MICHELANGELO aka THE PAINTER

MOCKIN' BIRD

MODERN TIMES

NASHVILLE

NEIL DIAMOND

NEW IMAGINE

OLIVIER ROELLINGER

ORANGES 'N' LEMONS

PAINTER'S PALETTE

PAPAGENO

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

PARADE DAY

PAUL GAUGUIN - Christensen

PAUL GAUGUIN - Delbard

PEPPERMINT TWIST

PERFUME TIGER

PHILATELIE

PINK INTUITION

POP ART

PURPLE SPLASH CL

RAINBOW NIAGARA aka MARVELLE aka TROPICAL SUNSET

• roseseek
    3 months ago

I think Ralph Moore would be delighted to see how many larger roses have been created from his original Little Darling X Ferdinand Pichard seedlings way back in 1969. I'm glad you have Festival Fanfare, Beth. I imported that from Harkness way back in 1983.

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

RASPBERRY SWIRL

RED INTUITION

RED PANTHER

REMBRANDT VAN RYN

ROCK 'N' ROLL

ROEDEAN

SCARLET RIPPLE

SCENTED JEWEL

SCENTIMENTAL

SCHOOL SPIRIT

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

SHOW YOUR STRIPES

SIMSALABIM

SOS CHILDRENS ROSE

STRIPED QUEEN ELIZABETH

TATTOOED DAUGHTER

TAWNY TIGER

TAWNY TIGER SPORT

THE STREAK

TIGRESS

TROPICAL LIGHTNING

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 months ago

Alfred Sisley

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

VICK'S CAPRICE

WANGUAFONG

XOXO

ZEBRA

There are others, but these were all I had from last yr....

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

Kim, thank you for importing FESTIVAL FANFARE, along with so many other wonderful roses! This guy survived the fire, thankfully. Not easy to find anymore. It's a really cool rose.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 months ago

Beth are these all post fire? What an incredible collection. Each one a winner

• roseseek
    3 months ago

Beth, if you're interested in standards, I found Festival Fanfare canes rooted very well and made VERY strong standard trunks (hint, hint). I'm SO glad you have Striped Queen Elizabeth! Mr. Moore raised a rose he called QE76STR, meaning a striped seedling of Queen Elizabeth which first flowered in 1976. He shared it with me and I found a darker, stronger sport on it, which I named Striped Queen Elizabeth. I brought him back cuttings of it as it was an improvement on the original in vigor and darker pink variegation. I budded a plant of it for The Huntington which was planted in the main garden. John Bagnasco obtained cuttings from it and there are two plants of it in the San Jose Heritage. Mr. Moore hoped this mutation might prove more fertile than the original. If it did, none of the results were ever made public.

• Formerly RBEHS Z10A/S17
    3 months ago

Here's Roller Coaster:

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

Beth, I bet you have the biggest collection of stripes anywhere! You could make a book of them. I think my favorite is Candice and it is hard to find.

Roller Coaster looks like a fine plant.

• Ariel
    3 months ago

I know this probably doesn’t count but this my Aldi special. For $6 how could I say no?? I love how some blooms have more red and some are more white. I love all these striped pictures!

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

Ariel, of course it counts and anyway what counts most is how you enjoy it. It's very cute.

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

Think I'll include this little one, Peppermint China. It is a low grower but wide and sturdy and tough. A good plant. Blooms are about the size of a nickel.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    3 months ago

Sheila’s perfume

Raspberry Swirl

Marc Chagall

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    3 months ago

Erasmus, I like that 'Peppermint China'.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Beth your collection is OUTSTANDING!

• dianela7analabama
    3 months ago

Beth your collection is incredible! I can tell you have a passion for collecting these unique colored roses.

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

Kristine, yes these are all photos from last yr. And thank you all for the nice compliments. I do love the stripeys and the oddballs! It's fun to share them.

Kim, I did see on HMF that you discovered SQE. So glad you did, and thank you for sharing it. I actually got it from John, again via Steve as a budded maiden two yrs ago. It sprouted a very short stem which bloomed nicely. But when I went to pinch the spent bloom off, I accidentally pulled the whole budeye out of the shaft. The stem was barely 2". I immediately potted it up in a little 3" pot and put it in the greenhouse. I was amazed when it rooted faster than some of the other stems I had potted up about the same time! She's still a small plant, but she gave me two nice small blooms. Looking forward to more in the coming season.

• roseseek
    3 months ago

Thank goodness you saved it! There aren't that many around. I hope you can encourage it to prosper and get more of them out there.

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Wow!!! That was SUPER!! I'm so glad that I'm getting Peach Swirl this spring...the pictures here show what a beauty it is!!

Beth - you are indeed the Queen of Stripeys!! Loved them all! :) :)

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

Kim, I will try my best! Right now she's a spindly 2-stemmed little thing. Might have to try giving her some epsom salts soon....

• roseseek
    3 months ago

Beth, I'm pretty sure Sally has Pink Clouds. You should get some from her root it and then try budding Striped Queen Elizabeth. Once you have success budding one, you'll probably bud most of them. It's SO easy!

• Ken Wilkinson
    3 months ago

I only have 1 stripped rose, and the longer I grow it, the more I'm temped to try 1 or 2 striped HT's in my garden.

Here is my only striped rose.

Strawberry Kiss's

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Ken - gorgeous!!! I especially love the 2nd and last pics!!! And congratulations on winning!!! Stunning rose!!

• erasmus_gw
    2 months ago

I'm going to include my seedling of 4th of July. I named it Fran's Pirouette . It is fragrant and has decent vigor.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    2 months ago

Erasmus, that’s a beautiful stripe. I’m not crazy over many of the striped roses, but that one catches my eye. If you lived next door I’d be tempted to sneak over in the dead of night for a cutting.

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Erasmus - beautiful rose...well done!!! Is it a climber? You did really well!!!

• erasmus_gw
    2 months ago

Thank you, Judi and Carol. It's not a climber. I have two plants of it in the ground...the oldest is about 4' x 3'. The other one might get bigger as it's in a better spot. It's just an open pollinated seedling. I have some new ones popping up right now under lights indoors. It's always fun to see what they do. I'm really not that crazy about stripes either.

I like to have a few.

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Erasmus - I love stripes...and that one is beautiful, please post more pics of it this summer!!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths