Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evelyn_wilkerson

Decorating around light switch

Evelyn Wilkerson
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

We have this empty wall and aren’t quite sure what to about decor placement being there is a quad light switch almost in the middle of it The walk is roughly 50” wide and 10’ tall Do we put something above the light switch? Below it and above it? Next to it? We’re lost

Comments (23)

• Paul F.
    2 months ago

I think we need to see the room from different angles to properly advise.

• Lorraine Leroux
    2 months ago

I would not put anything on that wall. You could put artwork or some shelves on that wall and it would be centred and above the light switches. If you add some nice colourful drapery panels to the windows that will cover the light switches. Maybe that is all the room needs. Not sure, since this is the only part of the room we see.

Evelyn Wilkerson thanked Lorraine Leroux
  • Evelyn Wilkerson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you, i will see if i can take more photos Funny you mentioned drapery panels- we had those there originally but then my mom wanted powered layered shades so we took them down and had motorized shades installed

Now we have this blank wall that is the first thing you see as you enter through the foyer But with the swiches there we just arent sure about placement

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

I have no idea without seeing the room from much further back.

• Cara Fidler
    2 months ago

I would put a round mirror there with a beautiful frame. You could add a nice tall faux plant in front of the light switch so that it isn't visible.

Evelyn Wilkerson thanked Cara Fidler
  • Evelyn Wilkerson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@Lorraine Leroux

i like the idea of shelves What if we did staggered floating shelves, above and below the light swich?

• Evelyn Wilkerson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you, Cara, i like that idea of a nice framed mirror paired with a faux plant .. you are all giving me some great ideas!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 months ago

Would suggest artwork above the gang switch.

• jck910
    2 months ago

I wouldn't put shelves there, Bumping hazard. Also don't think I would want to look in a mirror every time I went in those rooms. I would do a flat metal sculptural piece: hang it just above the light switches and no higher than the top of the window about 33" wide

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago

I like @jck910 suggestion the best. I totally agree that any shelving - no matter how narrow - that sticks out from that wall is an accident waiting to happen. It’s in a traffic path. I also think a mirror which would reflect only the person walking towards it would be odd. Either a sculptural piece or - a canvas art with depth. It looks like you have at least 2 sculptural pieces hanging in the long hallway so my choice would be canvas art. I’d pick something that feels like you’re walking into the piece if you get what I mean. This piece would mostly be viewed when walking towards this room. That piece over the console table in the hallway might work - something like that.

• ilikefriday
    2 months ago

• PRO
    Monica Harmon
    2 months ago

Long skinny picture.

• Evelyn Wilkerson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks everyone, this is some great advice

• Evelyn Wilkerson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks everyone! i like the idea of something scuptural or canvas art with depth i agree with you regarding the shelves That is a pathway and that would be a hazard So if i did sculptural or canvas art, i would just place it above the light switch?

i also like the vertical grouping that ilikefriday did as well but does it look strange to extend beyond the height of the patio doors?

• ilikefriday
    2 months ago

I have a similar wall in my home with light switches in the way. This is how I decided to handle it. I don't think the patio doors make a difference. I just would not put art at the same level. Make it extend higher or lower.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago

Evelyn, it takes awhile to find just the right piece of art that you enjoy looking at. In the meantime, I suggest taping up paper mockups of the size(s) that you think might work to help you know size to look for. I also think a point to consider is that multiple pieces hung will make for a more dramatic & attention getting wall - is that what you want? A single piece will add detail that should add to the rest of your art in the space. I do like what ilike friday shows you but note that she has art as an integral part of her space. She is an artist so that makes absolute sense & reflects her amazing talent & personality. She has a gallery setting. Just points to consider,

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 months ago

Art glass on a plinth base

• Evelyn Wilkerson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@KW PNW so you think that having the three framed pieces (one below switch and two above) would be too dramatic? Even if the pieces are casual?

• Paul F.
    2 months ago

Mural wallpaper. Switches? What switches?

• ilikefriday
    2 months ago

@Paul F has the best idea. That looks fab!

@kW thanks for the compliment. You give me more credit than I deserve!

I think the subject of the art, colors, and the size will all determine how dramatic it is.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago

Evelyn, I didn’t mean the stacked art on wall would be too dramatic - just giving another point to consider. None of the suggestions offered here have been given with the perspective of what the other 3 walls in that space look like - we see only that wall & a bit beyond. Some very creative suggestions posted here & sometimes that brainstorming sparks other ideas not yet presented. What’s most important is what you think of the ideas! Have fun with it.

• ffpalms
    2 months ago

ilikefriday’s idea of stacking art vertically is a nice way to use that wall. You have such a calm space, I think the mock-up below would look great with black and white photos.