Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anamoc

What do you think of this kitchen/Dining layout?

anamoc
2 months ago

Hi Everyone,

My family and I are in the process of renovating our 1930s kitchen. No changes have ever been made (except for vinyl flooring and newer appliances). The rest is in its original state. We have confirmed that the wall behind the fridge is not load-bearing. Right now our goal is to bring up the quality and condition of the kitchen, dining area, and living area. I am confident that patching up the walls, paint job, new flooring, new appliances, and recessed lighting will dramatically improve the place. We are not going for a designer kitchen - we want to bring up the standard while keeping some of the charm.

Current Kitchen/Dining Area

Here is the planned drawing:

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago

Not sure why this posted again but do you want it to look like a 1930 kitchen ? I have no idea why since they were not functional for how we live now.

• kandrewspa
    2 months ago

I would swap the positions of the frig and stove.

• anamoc
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks for the comment @travisjohnson I would love to see photos of your converted kitchen. I do want to move away from the 1930's look and make it more modern and functional.

• Kendrah
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Have you changed your mind at all from the last post you made on the same topic? What specific feedback do you want? And what is the blue line behind new sink location? Do you sill want that open to the living room? (I hope not :))

You are doing much more than "patching up the walls, paint job, new flooring, new appliances, and recessed lights" - right? You are changing the sink location, demoing the wall between the dining room and kitchen, getting new cabinets and counters. Are you closing up the doorway is currently to the left of your range?

While you may not be selecting high end materials or products, you are re-designing your entire kitchen. What is your budget? Will it fit all the work that needs to be done?

Little about your kitchen will look 1930s once you have the cabinets and counters out.

I presume you will be removing the dining room wall trim?

• Travis Johnson
    2 months ago

I am still at work so no pictures yet, but we were able to get function and still have the 1930,s look. Some things were a surprise, like our 1917 gas range. it was 6 inches lower than most stoves today, so perfect for stirring deep pots or using all four burners to heat up a big pot.

What we did not like was the oven as it had no modern controls like temerature and timers abd such. So we got a wall oven. it worked well and was situated out of the way so the kitchen still looked 1930 like. it also was the perfect cooking set up for a large family: propane cooktop with big electric oven.

We included our living room too in the 1930 look too so we hid the tv in a closed cabinet, and used furnishings of the 1930,s to get the feel we wanted. Christmas? It looked like a Victorian Christmas of old.

Very fond memories with the kids growing up. (4 young daughters and a husband and wife)

• cpartist
    2 months ago

Why do you want a modern kitchen in a 1930s house? We call that remuddling.

Instead you can get the feel of a 1930s kitchen that works with the house but with updated appliances and cabinets

• apple_pie_order
    2 months ago

Spend an hour or two putting together a plan with the easy, free Ikea kitchen planner. It will help you envision what you can do.

https://kitchen.planner.ikea.com/us/en/

• elcieg
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

No photo of the living room, so this is just a guess at what can be done.

Utilize the bay window and make that your dining area. If possible, a dining bench could be outfitted to expand seating. It is close to the kitchen and has a lovely view.

Next comes seating for the "living room" area.

The best part of moving the dining table out of its present space is you can you it for additional cabinets, counters, and have the desk and chair designed into the mix.