Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_mcdermott62

Textured Curtains???

Kelly Loedeman
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Hi!

I'm wondering if I should keep these white textured curtains. They need to be hemmed and cleaned but before I commit want to make sure they are a good fit for the space.

I'm wondering if I should keep these white textured curtains. They need to be hemmed and cleaned but before I commit want to make sure they are a good

Yes curtains
No
Blinds

Comments (21)

• Susan
    2 months ago

The curtains are fine…they just need to be hemmed so they are just above the floor. Puddled draperies are for more formal spaces…not in a high activity area like a kitchen.

Kelly Loedeman thanked Susan
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    2 months ago

New curtains will bring a bit of color and pattern into a bland space. Everything is neutral and solid, with the only pattern being the backsplash. Is that painted wall in the background blue? Turn on the lights please when you take pictures.

• Kelly Loedeman
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks Susan, yes I wanted to make sure they looked okay before hemming and cleaning.

• Kelly Loedeman
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Shadywillowfarm yes the paint is stone eagle gray. In the sunlight it shows more of a light blue.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 months ago

They are fine but it looks like you need a little more texture- a bamboo Roman shade in the windows for instance.

Kelly Loedeman thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Kelly Loedeman
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I was thinking that too to help balance the space!

• shirlpp
    2 months ago

Truthfully they are too much. I'd take them down and post pics to get advice on window treatments.

• PRO
    AiFL
    2 months ago

Can’t see the windows and don’t know the needs related to covering the windows but the space itself looks like cafe curtains would look good…just enough fabric to add a little softness or color or pattern.

• Maureen
    2 months ago

If budget allows, I’d add blinds.

If the curtains can be left open, can you show a picture of how that feels and pin drapes to help as well.

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

If you keep them, how do you plan on dressing them? As in, you aren't going to just leave them flat and closed at all times, what is the dressing to tie them back? Is the purpose of them to block a view, reduce the sunlight, other?

You have three kinds of windows there. You could do some different treatments between the two walls. Put up blinds on the side with the shorter windows to tame the sunlight. Maybe frame the outer two with curtians. Perhaps leave the center one clear depending on whats on the other side of the windows. Keep the curtians on the taller windows.

• Kelly Loedeman
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I would keep them closed all the time because these windows are the front of the house and the view isn't pretty. We thought about blinds but our dog likes to look at the windows and that would make it harder.

• Kelly Loedeman
    Original Author
    2 months ago

No curtains

• apple_pie_order
    2 months ago

Does the dog have a favorite window? Or does the dog run from window to window with paws on the window sills? Dog-friendly curtains should be machine wash-and-dry. If these are not, I'd choose some new ones that are a cinch to wash and dry.

• Jilly
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Hi, Kelly! I remember your thread from before — these don’t seem much different:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6330708/roman-shades-or-drapes

Have you decided to keep the dining set and light fixture?

Kelly Loedeman thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 months ago

I would go in a different direction. Because of the lack of fullness and no real heading, they look like sheets. These are not the same curtains as in your last dilemma (linked above), correct?

Because you need privacy you can use sheer treatments. Full curtain panels with a pinch pleat heading hung with drapery pins and rings could look very nice. Can you sew and modify them?

Woven wood shades would also be nice, as would Roman shades.

Or a combination:

Hopkinton Home · More Info

Transitional Master Bedroom · More Info

The Vermont Country Store offers extra wide sheer pinch pleat panels that are not overly expensive.

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/classic-sheers-96-inch-pinch-pleat-patio-panel/product/80316

Kelly Loedeman thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    Ellen Smith Designer - Ethan Allen, Watchung NJ
    2 months ago

I would go in a different direction as well. The panels need fullness and since it is a kitchen, that may be too much "fabric" for that area. Without the fullness, (this is for everyone) I agree with Diana Bier, it looks like a sheet. I would consider a woven wood blind, which has been mentioned above, or a soft roller shade. Something that is semi opaque to give some privacy and texture. Maybe a textured Roller Shade with just a hint of your paint color. That way it will look finished, rather than another neutral in the space.

Good Luck!

Kelly Loedeman thanked Ellen Smith Designer - Ethan Allen, Watchung NJ
  • Kelly Loedeman
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hi Jilly!

Yeah, that's my post from a year ago.

We are going with a black table and a new light fixture. In the kitchen and dining.

• Kelly Loedeman
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks, Ellen and Diana for the comments. I'm thinking that's the way to go as well.

• Yvonne Martin
    2 months ago

What you have shown are too skimpy as well as being too long and too bland.

• Missy Bee
    2 months ago

Dog friendly curtains…son’s house.