Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___

Does THIS metal table look like a TV tray table from the '50's?

nicole___
2 months ago

Or is it acceptable as a little occasional table bewteen two club chairs...or off to the side to provide work space...a laptop table maybe...? What do you think? Opinions...

I like it, it adds an interesting element. You can upgrade latter.
It's too cheap looking.....you can do better....

Comments (36)

• HU-864750314
    2 months ago

I like it

nicole___ thanked HU-864750314
  • Bunny
    2 months ago

It's a little busy looking for me, and not like tv trays from back in the day.

nicole___ thanked Bunny
  • palimpsest
    2 months ago

Technically it's based on a directoire campaign gueridon table

nicole___ thanked palimpsest
  • arcy_gw
    2 months ago

It looks like a table not unpopular at the end of the century. No idea if it was supposed to be a replica of something from the 50s????

nicole___ thanked arcy_gw
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 months ago

I'm not voting either way....it's not a tv tray table, it's very busy and who'd want to dust those legs? If you really like it, it's fine. But if not, you can do better.

nicole___ thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Pal...YOU nailed it. I didn't know....that's interesting....and it IS very close....

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 months ago

No. The ones that were common that I recall looked like this:

nicole___ thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Jilly
    2 months ago

I like the style, depending on what the chairs and room are like.

nicole___ thanked Jilly
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@Jilly.....the room is very monochromatic. Ivory linen everything. I looked around at my usual haunts...and didn't find anything incredible. In the mean time...I need a place to set a cup of tea, a laptop...a note pad....

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

Have you seen it in person? It looks interesting in the photo - and definitely not at all like a TV tray table. I wonder if it's heavy or light?

nicole___ thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    2 months ago

@carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b...Nope, haven't seen it in person.
    Item Weight
    13.64 Pounds

• cawaps
    2 months ago

It doesn't look like a TV tray, or particularly cheap, but I don't like it (personal taste, YMMV). Someone earlier said "busy," and I think that nails my problem with it. I didn't vote.

• deegw
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

It doesn't look like a tray table but if I remember your house correctly, it seems a little delicate and fussy for your decor.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

13.64# doesn't seem light, IMO

Are the braces purely decorative, or does it fold up?

• deegw
    2 months ago

@palimpsest, someone on the other side wanted advice for the front of their row house. The dilemma looks right up your alley.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6428324/help-with-rowhouse-exterior#n=7

nicole___ thanked deegw
  • JoanM
    2 months ago

It looks a little modern for me. I have been looking for a new TV tray table, there are vintage versions on etsy if you want vintage. I needed a folding TV table to replace the nasty looking one I have that is covered in glue. My family ordered me one for my birthday and it came today.

Way cuter than my nasty tan one. But this is my version of a TV tray table.

nicole___ thanked JoanM
  • wildchild2x2
    2 months ago

It's listed on Amazon as a side or accent table. Comes in bronze, gold or rust.

Creative Co-op HD6145 Rectangle Metal Accent Table, 27"

nicole___ thanked wildchild2x2
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I have 2 linen club chairs....pretty blah...with a boom floor lamp. (Mines ORB, I could paint it?) The duvet on the bed is ivory with black Greek Key trim. The walls are ivory. The curtains are ivory. ....like the photo. There's a new fireplace just installed. (we'll rock it in later) I just need a little table between the 2 chairs. There's ivory carpet...we plan on removing & putting in bamboo or Brazilian cherry to match the rest of the house.

• Oakley
    2 months ago

I like the table, it has feet! In front of my nightstand I have a wooden tv tray specifically to set my drink on.

nicole___ thanked Oakley
  • JoanM
    2 months ago

Oh wow! I never even blew it up big enough to see the feet. Interesting piece but after learning about it and making it bigger, now it looks ornate to me. And possibly a cleaning nightmare 😂 On my tiny screen it was given modern vibes like those sputnik lights. Is that what they are called?

nicole___ thanked JoanM
  • Lars
    2 months ago

I would want to see it in person to find out how wobbly it is. If there is no wobble, then I think it might be a good side table, but not one that you could sit at with a laptop because you cannot put a chair under it.

nicole___ thanked Lars
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Ballard Design has a round one....hhhmmm.....

Pal....interesting....and I DO like the little animal/lion feet....

• palimpsest
    2 months ago

These tables that look like they are collapsible but are not remind me of one of the things, (well, eight) I regret leaving behind when my parents' house was sold.

There were eight of these Cosco gatefold bridge chairs in black with black vinyl tweed seats in pristine 1956 condition. The legs swing out and are locked together by the seat like a real chair and I wish I had not opted to leave them with the house.

nicole___ thanked palimpsest
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 months ago

I have a couple of those in black 🙂

And we also have a set of 8 old wooden folding dining chairs. Found this image online that calls them Stakmore. Ours have a dark finish and could use some new upholstery.

And I do like the idea of a round table rather than rectangular.

• Kswl
    2 months ago

The rectangular table will fit better between the chairs and provide more useful space. Also, I like it better.

nicole___ thanked Kswl
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    2 months ago

29 it's OK votes. I ordered the square one. I'll post a photo with MY Orb boom floor lamp when it arrives. I overnighted it. I didn't know there were designer names attached to similar ones online until I googled with Pal's info. You ALL are a wealth of information! Thank you!

Lars....your right. It wouldn't make a good desk. I would put the laptop in my lap when in use, then set it on the table when I'm done with it. Right now, I'm standing the laptop up against the wall, on the floor.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 months ago

I like it and it would fit into my furnishings, which are a mix of transitional, vintage, one or two antiques, a few more modern touches (in lamps). I think it will look great between your club chairs.

I have a little riser sort of thingy for my laptop, that goes across my lap, and raises the laptop up a bit (how much is adjustable) so that I'm not excessively bending my neck to look at the screen. It also holds the laptop at a bit of a tilt to make the keyboard easier to use.

nicole___ thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • pricklypearcactus
    2 months ago

It doesn't look "1950s" to me, but I do like it. I have always liked this style. I fact, I have a round version in black from Ballard Designs between two chairs.

nicole___ thanked pricklypearcactus
  • nicole___
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The little table is "heavy"! A nice size for a little space.

• Jilly
    2 months ago

I like it!

nicole___ thanked Jilly
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 months ago

It is very nice

nicole___ thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Kswl
    2 months ago

Mahvellous!

nicole___ thanked Kswl
  • maggie200
    2 months ago

Yay! wonderful end to your story.

nicole___ thanked maggie200
  • claudia valentine
    2 months ago

I dont think a TV tray because it has no place for your legs when you pull it close to use.

nicole___ thanked claudia valentine
  • vgkg Z-7 Va
    2 months ago

Definitely looks sturdy and well built compared to the easy to tip over junk tables in Elmer's photo, we had those too. It could be a finger pincher when folding up, but I like it.

nicole___ thanked vgkg Z-7 Va