Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artinnature

My favorite plant in my garden, today.

artinnature
2 months ago

Most of us hard-core gardeners probably have a different favorite plant every week. As of today, in the gray, rainy Willamette Valley, mine is Calocedrus decurrens 'Berrima Gold'. Such an incredible mix of various shades of gold and chartreuse, with orange branch tips!

Comments (8)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    2 months ago

Beautiful tree!

Neon wouldn't be overstating it's color.

Thanks for showing this.

;-)

• maackia
    2 months ago

I can see how it would light up a garden. My option for something like that would be Thuja, which the deer devour. I’m envious!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 months ago

gorgeous ....

the bottom limb on the left.. does it go under the mulch to the trunk???

is the plant on irrigation... why ...

too bad you had to plant it so close to the fence .... you might want to move it and give it a few more feet over the decades ....

hope we can see more of your collection ... thx for sharing...

• bengz6westmd
    2 months ago

Thanks -- almost florescent. Bright yellow is a happy color.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 months ago

@artinnature What a stunner! Had to look it up for info - as in - might I have room for one of those? Short answer - sadly, no. But I learned it’s also known as Golden Incense Cedar, is slow growing 6’ tall x 3’ wide in ten years - maybe 30’ tall at maturity so it’s not a huge cedar! I love the bright yellow & gold colors in the midst of all of our evergreens here in PNW. I’ve noticed several Forsythia already blooming out up on this north side of the Columbia River - early I think! Any down your way yet?

• SeniorBalloon
    2 months ago

Favorite? Hmm, that's tough this time of year as I have nothing as showy as that cedar. Are there any local (Seattle area) nurseries that might have that?

I think I'll pick something that is not showy at all right now. It's a climbing Monkshood I've been nursing for a few years. Initially planted in what turned out to be a very bad place, couldn't compete with the heliopsis, moved to a better, though not great spot, then lived in a pot for 2 years to rehab. Finally strong enough to replant out in the garden last year. Limped along, even made a couple of flowers. Just noted that it has put out some early growth. (Doc Frankenstein voice): It's ALIVE!. :o)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 months ago

SB, I might suggest checking out either Swanson's or Wells Medina nursery. Both carry a superior selection of conifers (as well as a bunch of other good stuff).

• artinnature
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I will try to share more pics of my collection. Uploading pics is infinitely easier on my phone than on the laptop, that's what I'm doing now.

KW, Forsythias were blooming in downtown Salem last week. I have Show Off Sugar Baby but my garden is tucked up against the cooler, coast range foothills, so no blooming yet.

SB, I got Calocedrus 'Berrima Gold' at dancingoaks.com, down by me, but their inventory currently says "zero". They are open to newsletter subscribers for "Hellebore Weekend!" this Saturday and Sunday...I'll be attending. Should be a good time as they have many hundreds planted in their display gardens.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022