Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Advice 2023 .............................

What did we learn this year? Or what do you want to know? Good or bad put it here for the new people who may wish to grow hostas.

Parenting done right.

Now that is good advice, post yours.

One more after this.

Comments (12)

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last month

That doll is hilarious!

My best advice is to have plenty of room for when you become obsessed the way we all are lol!

• hosta_maker
    last month
    last modified: last month

If you bought a small hosta grow it out in a pot for the first year. Bulk up those roots. …water it and fertilize it regularly. give it as much sun as it can tolerate, observe, bring it into shade if it is stressed. its a good way to plan out what that variety can handle and where its final home will be.

if you are in a cold climate bury the pot in the ground or plant it in fall.

• KW PNW Z8
    last month

It’s ok to cut off damaged leaves to make the hosta plant look better. Really, you won’t even miss the leaves you cut off! It’s also ok to cut off some of the outside leaves if they’re totally covering a companion plant - because the hosta grew much larger than the tag said it would & moving the too large hosta is not an option.

To combat slugs & snails - bait early & often. Here in PNW, slugs are a constant battle. I put out ”Worry Free” pet & animal safe bait at the first sign of pips emerging. If you don’t bait early to control the slugs, they get up in the leaves and munch away all growing season. I also pick up the hosta leaves as soon as they turn to mush after hard frosts. Slugs & snails love to snuggle in under that mush all winter long. The Hosta varieties with thicker, corrugated type leaves are much less tasty to slugs & will survive slug damage with fewer damaged leaves.

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    last month

Great comments, all very true and useful.

Don't be afraid to move a hosta that isn't performing well, it just might need a new spot. Enjoy your new hobby.

One other thing carry a spray bottle of rubbing alcohol to clean tools between digging in the garden. This will help prevent the spread of hosta viruses.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Bookmark The Hosta Library and Houzz.

Buy hostas you like appropriate for your sun/ shade conditions

Don’t buy really expensive hostas to start with. Stick with $20 or under until you feel confident with growing them

And ditto everyone else’s advice

debra

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    last month

fyi..that “light“ means call the fire department!..

good advice everyone..

my thoughts..if you don’t want labels (I didn’t) at least keep notes of names..I wish I had..

I’ve moved hosta when they’re leafed out without problems..if the ground is dry water the day before..I use a garden fork to dig instead of a spade..

don’t plant Clausa close to a path..or other plants..or on your property Lol..I had no idea how it spreads..a picture’s worth a thousand words..

• old_dirt 6a
    last month

Lots of good advice here, some I needed reminded of

If you can help it, don't plant too close to trees that have very shallow root systems. Be aware of companion plants that can and will become infasive. I just spent two hours trying to get Vinca trimmed and under control and haven't put a dent in it. Ivy & ferns will also take over quickly.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

I agree with Ann about identifying your hostas and other plants. It’s a decision to make early on. Five years after you begin “collecting”, (and you will) you’ll wish you had kept track. I have garden markers for my entire garden. It helps me remember who’s who and where they are located. I also have a roughly drawn map on 3 large pieces of tag board so when markers are removed in fall, I know where things are. It’s a pain in the butt, but having been a teacher for many years, I’m all about educating folks. People who walk by stop and read the names of the plants….. I like that.

One piece of advice no one lose has recommended is to join The American Hosta Society. You receive several beautiful Journals full of information and stunning photos of hostas, in lovely garden settings. You also receive access to the online editions. And you receive a free plant well worth the membership fee. What’s not to like?

There are also books that are helpful resources. These can be helpful as well in helping you decide what you like and what’s possible for your space.

One last thing, don’t cry over losing a hosta! We all have lost more than we care to admit! This is why starting with less expensive plants is a good idea….it won’t hurt so bad when you lose one. It’s those $50, $60 and $70 hostas we cry over! 😫

debra

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    last month

If you grow in pots finger check your soil for moisture. Hostas can make umbrellas out of themselves. Keep a rain gauge. 3 inches of rain is only 3 inches in a pot if that.

• steve duggins
    last month

Take lots of pictures and organize them on rainy days - Oh and take more on rainy / cloudy days. . . And post them here so we can enjoy them too . . . even if you think they're ugly (they're not).

If you plant things too close, they will grow like weeds. If you give them the space they need, they will dwindle and die.

• swrite
    last month

That chipmunks eat them. And that hummingbirds enjoy the flowers (prior to the plant’s consumption, of course).

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor