Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estherb2

OY! Gonna be 28 degrees tomorrow night in Baltimore!

I am afraid for all my silly hostas who pipped already plus other plants with new shoots.

Comments (8)

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    last month

Oh, no! Good luck protecting them. I have so many pips and leafed out hostas. Although I love seeing the plants in spring, I do wish they would stay sleeping throughout March. The late frosts are killer.

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • bkay2000
    last month
    last modified: last month

Get something to protect them the best you can. When they predict cold temperatures here, it never quite gets that cold, as I am in the city. With all the concrete, it usually is a few degrees warmer than predicted.

That said, I would do my best to cover them, insulate them - anything to give them a few degrees of protection. Frost cloth with give you a couple of degrees.

I haven't kept up with how you are growing your hosta these days. If I remember correctly, you don't grow in pots anymore. But, if you do have some in pots, you can always put them in the shed, the garage, etc. Don't leave them there, especially if they are damp. Get them out as quickly as is possible. (I think that's how my hosta developed rhizoctonia root rot - cold and damp in a closed area.)

bkay

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked bkay2000
  • sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    last month

Sheets and/or boxes if they're starting to leaf out. Pips make it through if they're still low to the ground, in my experience.

How did they do, Esther?

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
  • Esther-B, Zone 7a
    Original Author
    last month

I was having a new door installed today, the one I've been waiting for almost 2 years for. So I didn't even make it outside today. Those contractors ran into a problem, as the door (not ordered by me or by them, but by the first contractor) was 3" too short, and they had to build up the top of the opening. It took NINE HOURS to install the new fiberglass entry door, the new storm door, and the associated locks. So no, Esther did not have the opportunity to go into the backyard. The pot of hostas by the front door, pipped to about 3" high, looked OK however. And tonight, we have low frosty temps again. Argh!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last month

Oh gosh Esther, that’s a nice door, but the original contractor’s measure was off by 3”? Yikes! Makes you wonder how the house got built! lol

Sorry you were not able to deal with your hostas today. If you can, try to cover them with some sheets if you have extras. Good luck! I am so thankful I don’t have any pips!

debra

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • Esther-B, Zone 7a
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Follow-up on 28 degrees: I didn't have time to deal with garden at all, due to having to deal with contractor door woes. Now I found out that the matching high-end storm door was shipped without the hydraulic closer, so it can whip around in the wind. Closer supposed to be arriving this week. The HOSTAS and other plants seemed to make it through the low temp night just fine. They are pipping like rockets. My only garden setback this past week was the guy I had weeding my garden (one of my prescriptions gives me painful vertigo when I bend over and then straighten up) was overly thorough and also pulled up and discarded my Polemonium reptans Jacob's Ladder (already replaced), my pulmonaria plant (if anyone has a sprig they'd like to send me, let me know!), a very pretty carnation, and a fourth plant I can't remember.

• bkay2000
    24 days ago

It's cooler here, too. Thankfully, it's just in the 40's (It was 80 degrees here on Sunday.) Everything I have is fully leafed out.

Glad your hosta are doing OK.

bk

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked bkay2000