Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathymc5

Dilemma with new family room furniture

Cathy
last month

I’m looking to purchase new furniture for my living room. I want to replace the couch and the chairs by the fireplace (something lighter looking- not so heavy). I am keeping the tv stand and the tv now hangs on the wall. The curtains in the picture have been changed out for a flowered pattern of white, teal and orange.

My dilemma is do I….

1. Opt for a sectional with left facing arm (this can prove difficult to find as it can’t extend beyond the knee wall). Or
  2. Get a sofa (would want to fit at least 3) and a wall hugging recliner (challenge here is how would it fit and look?)

Any help/suggestions, and pictures, are much appreciated!

Comments (6)

• jck910
    last month

First you need to post a picture of the room as itis now.

The orange curtains are off putting to me but you say they aren't even there anymore. A sofa and 2 chairs are more versatile for arranging. What are the dimensions of the room? The rug is too small. We need to see the floral curtains to suggest anything color wise.

• chispa
    last month

Do a quick floorplan with dimensions, so people can help you with a layout.

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

a low profile sofa with exposed legs, no sectional for such a confined space.

edit. do you need so many floral arrangements? are they real?

lamps, either floor or table for the interior corner(s) of the room.

• elcieg
    last month
    last modified: last month

Agree with all comments

Both windows need the same treatment.

Purchase a sleek, one cushion sofa, one chair facing fireplace, one rug, and consider removing the fan and replace with ceiling light (on a dimmer). (Your console and t v are where the second sofa is in the inspiration photo.)

I don't see the need of two chairs at the fireplace. I do see why one good size rug, a good size sofa, a coffee table, will work for with the sofa and accommodate your guests. Keep the room clear of stuff. If you want a plant, choose live, and put it in the corner by the window.

My last thoughts are the art over the fireplace. It's too common. I see it in every TJMX and Home Goods. Find the rug and art first and then shop for furniture.

Wall paint for the living room, kitchen walls, trim and ceiling: one color will make the entire space feel so much bigger. Think the white of the fireplace on the ceiling(flat finish), the walls (eggshell finish), for trim, use the finish on the fireplace surround.

Now for the fireplace...crown molding should continue all around the room.

You said any suggestions...I see great possibilities for the room.

• PRO
    Breathe Design Studio
    last month

A sofa with two chairs would make things easier to arrange and give you multiple layout options. You could even look at apartment sized furniture and a reversible chaise if you're looking at a sectional.

Mueller Modern Scandinavian Farmhouse | Featured On Dwell · More Info

Tranquil Minimal Modern Townhouse | As seen on Dwell.com · More Info

• Cathy
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for the suggestions. The room really isn’t small at all. I’ll have to add room dimensions and new pictures.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH