Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krista_hickey

Cabinet color for kitchen reno

Krista Hickey
last month
last modified: last month

We are redoing an older kitchen (painting cabinets and getting new counter top - counter not chosen yet). The kitchen has vinyl floor with blue that we are not replacing, sadly.

Kitchen is in old, century home, not open concept, has 8 foot ceilings. Cabinets will go to ceiling with crown molding but are basic, no glass etc)

I am exploring blues, due to floor, and because I feel like venturing away from white.

looking for opinions and suggestions.

I have attached pic of floor, cabinet door that we are painting and a few blues im thinking of.

We would definitely prefer to replace kitchen, but thats not in the budget right now

Last pic is of kitchen before tear-out. Bulk head above cabinets is gone, ’operating light’ is gone (lol), counter and backsplash are gone, boxes built to bring cabinets to ceiling, cabinets are ready for paint.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Would be very good to show the entire kitchen? Please? From as many angles as possible.

• jck910
    last month

I love navy so the middleone appeals to me

• Krista Hickey
    Original Author
    last month

This is the kitchen before tear-put. The bulk head is gone, boxes built to bring cabinets to ceiling, big ’operating’ light is also gone. Cabinets are stripped and ready for paint.

• dan1888
    last month

I like the pale blue.

• PRO
    Minardi
    last month

There is no conceivable circumstance where replacing a kitchen around a vinyl floor makes any sense. You can live with cheap stainless restaurant tables and an old armoire if the cabinets are literally falling apart. Do the WHOLE gosh darn room, if you are going to reno. Vinyl is as cheap as it comes for a floor. Do not let the tail wag the dog.

• RedRyder
    last month

I agree that the cost of a new floor should be considered. Have you priced out a new floor? Plank vinyl can be very reasonable, and then opens up a whole new world of color options. And you can do any blue you like.

You haven’t said if this countertop is staying.

To answer your question - the right light blue (#1 or #3) would be lovely. For some reason, the navy feels too harsh.

• Krista Hickey
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you!

countertop is not staying.

This is a rental unit so thats why we arent replacing cabinets or floor. we will do both before selling down the road.

• palimpsest
    last month

Blue is a fairly neutral color in terms of going with other things, so you should be able to find a floor down the road that looks good with the paint job you are doing now.

My parents replaced a kitchen floor without touching the cabinets.

The floor in my current kitchen was replaced twice without removing the old cabinets. I took out cork and there was a wood floor and vinyl under the cabinets The big thing you have to be careful about is not blocking in the DW with new flooring.

• Lyn Nielson
    last month

your kitchen doesn't have a lot of good light, even with the white cabinets. I would choose a softer taupe color to compliment the floor rather than highlight it with a blue.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last month

I would opt for the lighter blues, the dark navy seems too dark for your kitchen which doesn't seem to have much light. I suggest to coordinate with a white counter and backsplash.

• HU-910663146
    last month

Palimpset speaks truth. Husband wanted to keep the old dishwasher to get a few more years out of it. Flooring installer said to install new flooring over the old flooring. Appliance store said it was better to have them charge by the installation time rather than a flat-fee for install for a new dishwasher.

Guess how all that shook out. I spent $600 to install an $800 dishwasher a few years after the new flooring install because the new flooring installed over the old flooring blocked the dishwasher in. The higher flooring screwed up moldings and door openings. The jerk who installed the flooring also broke a section of my countertop and never told me even though I asked him repeatedly to call me to help him move that section of cabinet.

Install new tile flooring now in your rental. Do it the right way.