Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shimmerandshine

can the direction of a cabinet door be changed?

shimmerandshine
last month

Yesterday night I opened the glass cabinets and I realized they open in the same direction 😩 the first pic is my inspo pic. I loved the glass cabs with the hood in between. Ideally I’d like both cabinets to have the knobs on the door closest to the hood. Will this be an easy change for the contractor or should I leave them knobless? I honestly can’t do any more delays if a new cabinet needs to be ordered. 😩

Comments (15)

• Joseph Babcock
    last month

It’s not clear the cabinet on the right would have clearance to open to the right if you don’t remove the other cabinet in the corner- your inspiration doesn’t have the corner on the right.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    last month

I don’t see myself having both cabinets opened at the same time.

If not possible, should I just leave the glass cabs without knobs?

• denkyem
    last month

The door itself would be reversible, you'd just flip it upside down. I'm not sure how the hinges attach to the cabinet themselves -- it's possible there are now holes for hinges on the left hand side which would be visible after making the switch, but if the hinges are attached to prefab holes on the cabinets this might not be an issue.

Joseph Babcock has flagged the real issue though! I'm sure this is why your contractor installed the doors in this direction. It looks like you might have a tiny bit of filler on the right side, but not much.

I'd also be concerned about how these glass cabinets are going to look and hold up being right next to the stove. Cabinets near the stove tend to get some gunk build-up on them from cooking, and those glass panes could be pretty annoying to keep clean.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month
    last modified: last month

You're doing this for looks and a knob, or ease of access?

No it won't be "easy" . It will require reverse the hinges, paint , fill, hinge or a new cabinet if you have the clearance to even do it.!

"Easy" is when you catch the mistake at the elevation, the order and before you sign off on all.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    last month

I’m doing this for “looks and a knob”.

Now should I just leave these 2 without a knob?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I'd find the least obtrusive edge pulls. For the cabinet BOTTOM. Middle!!!. Or your hands will get the doors filthy. Do white on just those.........or adjust your look and do edge pull everywhere in your brass finish

https://loandcointeriors.com/products/carlisle-pull-tumbled-brass

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

Looks like there is a filler strip installed already between the two cabinets.

Flip the door and have the cabinets open opposite one another. You'll have to be careful that the door knob doesn't damage the face of the cabinet on the RH wall when open, but it's a minor inconvenience.

• AnnKH
    last month

Trying to access that corner with hinges on the left would make me crazy. But with glass fronts, are those two cabinets for storage or display? If they are display and you don't go in there very often, I'd leave it.

From what we can see, your kitchen does not look big enough for "display only" cabinets in that location, which is prime real estate in the kitchen. What are you planning to store there? Seems too far away from the DW to put dishes there.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    last month

Ok so they said it can be done without any delays! Thank God!

@AnnKH I’m planning on putting my tea sets in the glass cabinets. I use them when I have guests maybe 5x a month. This will most likely be my forever home. We’ve lived here for about 9 years and these renovations costed A LOT😂. I don’t see us leaving unless of course there’s an emergency. You’re right, my kitchen isn’t big, but I made sure to get rid of everything I didn’t need prior to renovations, and I realized I was holding onto stuff I don’t even use. Btw these cabinets are more spacious than my previous ones, and my tiny pantry expanded😀so space wise I think I’m good.

@JanMoyer, I really like those edge pulls. I was looking for something that wouldn’t take away from the cabinets. I’ll add pics of what I ended up buying.

• HU-465245939
    last month

With the 2 cabinet doors which open to the left; I'd say remove and turn the entire cabinet upside down and reinstal it so the door will open to the right.

• la_la Girl
    last month

just wanted to say LOVE your attitude about a smaller kitchen - we have the same, and I love it - super efficient and I don't hold on to things I don't use either (you have a lovely kitchen!)

(a friend recently showed me the organization system she bought for her 50+ water bottles... and then complained she didn't have enough storage - but I don't say a word 😆)

• Boxerpal
    29 days ago

You have a sweet kitchen.

It looks like you may have solved the problem. If not, I would just order the correct cabinet in the right direction with the handle on the correct side, so you don't have to use it upside down or deal with other issues of space.

• shimmerandshine
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you for the compliments!
    Btw the contractor came in today, turns out one of the workers had put in the cabinet upside down 🤦🏻‍♀️

• houssaon
    29 days ago

Glad is it working out for your. Nice kitchen.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

"Btw the contractor came in today, turns out one of the workers had put in the cabinet upside down"

You really CAN'T make this s^#%$ up. Now I'm surprised the door isn't on the WALL side: )

Problem "extinguished"?