Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nlj45231

Furniture & decor to hide laptop charging and storage in living room

nlj 45231
last month

For those that charge and use your laptop in your living room/great room/family room; how do you store and charge it when it's not being used? Furniture is in the middle of the room and not along a wall. I haven't found any table or nightstand that allows the laptop to be easily reached for use mutliple times a day while being plugged in. In my last house I had a basket next to my couch which I padded; it worked well but wasn't attractive. I've been searching for a solution for several years, but I've never found anything. The back of the furniture will show; I have a 17 inch laptop, so it isn't small. I know it's not good to to keep the laptop plugged in, or to be on oncreen at bedtime, but this is my habit. I don't want to plug and unplug my laptop or store it across the room.

I've been looking for a side table that has a side opening and closed front where I can slide the laptop in; ideally there would be a hole under the side opening to allow the laptop to be plugged in and be able to slide the laptop in and out frequently during the day. We're building a house and buying new furniture; we'll have a plug in the floor to manage electric needs for chairs, lamps, etc, in the center, but I can't seem to find anythin like this. I'm almost at the point of asking my cabinet maker to see if this is something he can build for me.

Help; how do you hide your plugged in laptop within reach?

Comments (7)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

I charge mine at night when I go to bed and so it is ready for use where ever during the day. Can you not just time the charging for the time not used.

nlj 45231 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • clt3
    last month

I know Ashley makes end tables with usb ports and outlets (bought one for my disabled brother). There is also this which could be added to an end table with a drawer.

nlj 45231 thanked clt3
  • nlj 45231
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you Patricia, clt3 and Lyn.

Patricia - I could and probably should change my habits and do as you do, but I prefer to have my laptop next to me and be able to keep it plugged in (bad habit and not good for the laptop). clt3 - thanks as I hadn't come accross these options yet. Lyn - I love the look of these, would look nice with my floor, I'm hoping to find a piece where the plugs are inside and hidden and one of the challenges is that the back needs to be finished also as it's not resting against the wall. I need to look more at what you shared to see the back. I do love the look!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last month

There are extension cords that can be safely run under area rugs and seating.

Here are furnishings that include charging stations.

nlj 45231 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • apple_pie_order
    last month

A slant sided magazine rack may work. A wood one can have a hole drilled for the cord if there are no open slats.

nlj 45231 thanked apple_pie_order
  • nlj 45231
    Original Author
    29 days ago

BeverlyFLADeziner, I haven't seen the flat extension cords before, something to consider. Apple_pie_order; the slant side magazine rack is a good idea!