Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elemawario

Boring. Would appreciate suggestions to make it a family oasis. Thanks

Elema W
last month
last modified: 29 days ago

Labels added as per a comment below. This is a rental. The cream-yellow wall paper is non-negotiable with the landlord.

Comments (10)

• freedomplace1
    last month

I think maybe a rug that’s a bit bigger.

Elema W thanked freedomplace1
  • la_la Girl
    last month

I don’t see any lights in the TV room so if it were me, I would start with adding some table lamps and/or a floor lamp - I would also do some decluttering so the space feels open and fresh - Spring is the perfect time

Would you be open to moving the TV so it doesn’t block all the light from the window?

Elema W thanked la_la Girl
  • apple_pie_order
    29 days ago

Here are two photos from your wishlist. If you want your rooms to have some similar aspects, start with very large artwork on the walls (the middle of the artwork should be at your nose level) and large, light colored rugs on the floors. Slightly patterned or textured white rugs are much easier to keep clean-looking than the plain white rugs shown in the designer rooms.

Your rooms have a lot of small artwork and curios scattered around. Try grouping the small artwork together. The curios don't need to all be displayed at the same time- try displaying a third of or half of them, then change them out when the seasons change.

White Rock Staging · More Info

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

Elema W thanked apple_pie_order
  • Kendrah
    29 days ago

TV room - float the leather chaise lengthwise in front of the window. Place the TV, at seated eye level, on the wall across from the sofa. Get a white rug with texture that covers a large portion of the floor. Declutter, get new pillows.

Is paiting all of the walls an option? The yellow walls and dark shiny brown floors are not a winning combo.

Very large white rugs will help everywhere.

I’d hand a large white paper orb lantern light above the table It will soften and brighten the room.

Is the dining room table used as an art studio area? If so, how often do you sit there and eat? If you can eat elsewhere I’s get rid of most of the chairs at the table and let it really be an art studio.

Elema W thanked Kendrah
  • tlynn1960
    29 days ago

The one thing that was immediately noticeable is that your wall decor is hung really high like up near the height of the door frame. Most art should be hung at eye level (center of art) so the center is about 57" from the floor. Some more lighting options would also help brighten the spaces and some general decluttering in the area with the dining table.

• blubird
    29 days ago

First recommendation is to get rid of all those drapey green fake plants and any other fake plants. Second is to unify your shoe storage; 3 dissimilar cabinets for shoes seem to be a bit excessive. Perhaps replace your 'kitchen stuff ' cabinet with the white closed shoe cabinet; the micro will fit on top and will look less cluttered. In addition, the recommendation to add lamp lighting with closed end tables will help control clutter. And the kid toys storage adds to the visual clutter, perhaps the current tall shoe cabinet would be a better option because it's closed.

Switching the TV with the chaise would be an improvement and I think the rugs are too washed out in color compared to the darkness of the floors and intense wall color.

I've lived in small apartments with small kids and closed storage is your friend.

Elema W thanked blubird
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    29 days ago

You need to get rid of tons of stuff. Why do you need 3 shoe cabinets??? Each room should have a dedicated purpose. There should not be freezers and guitars in the same room. There should not be a work station on a dining room table in a room that is open to the living area. Does each kid have a room? All his/her stuff goes in the room and homework is done in the room. If it doesn’t fit get rid of it.

Elema W thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • Amanda Smith
    29 days ago

Following

• shirlpp
    28 days ago

You need to rearrange your furniture in the living room - for starters.