Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup2

MCM Eichler's own home, first time on market in 60 years

sushipup2
last month

Built in early 50's for Joseph Eichler, who sold it in 1965. This is the first time on the market since then. It's been meticulously maintained. And beautiful. I could move right in.

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/joseph-eichler-atherton-home-for-sale-6-4-million-19373633.php

Comments (8)

• deegw
    last month
    last modified: last month

What a great house. Love the wall paneling in the living areas.

While looking at the official listing I noticed the heating was fireplace/radiant/other. I suppose ducts and vents would be problematic.

sushipup2 thanked deegw
  • sushipup2
    Original Author
    29 days ago

The weather is very very mild, too.

• bpath
    29 days ago

1951! Gorgeous.

sushipup2 thanked bpath
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    29 days ago

Wow! Gorgeous is putting it mildly - thanks for sharing that 😃

sushipup2 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • gigi4321
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

It's a death trap! I was going to post on this house last week after I got back from the open house. Trust me, you would not want to live in it. Angles for the sake of angles. It's Eichler on steriods. Actually, the typical Eichlers are very boxy and square. I grew up in Palo Alto, ground zero for Eichlers. What makes it a death trap you ask? Walking down the hallway there are shelves protruding in the walkway at just the right height to take your eye out. Fireplace hearth sticks out waiting to trip you, and while it won't kill you, every shower is a triangle. A small triangle, like maybe 36" each side.

The walls in the bedrooms are all closets or sliding glass doors, so no where to put a dresser. The bathrooms are tiny and dark with no windows, but they did have skylights in the showers.

Here is a cool skylight above the LR fireplace.

I did love the story of the current owners. But I would not want to be stoned in that house, the bedroom wing is a bit of a maze with two jack and jill bathrooms. Really, the only furniture you would need, or would even fit in the house are beds and a dining room table, everything else is built in. The photos make the house look in better shape than it is. The price is pretty much land value and I would not be surprised if it's either demolished or a major rebuild. New homes on the street (which backs up to a busy road) are 10M+. I really hope someone restores it, but that floor plan...... ouch.

sushipup2 thanked gigi4321
  • Bunny
    29 days ago

One of my best friends lives in an Eichler in Willow Glen (San Jose, CA). Most of the neighborhood homes are Eichlers, built as modest homes back in the 50s. Her home is more boxy, and they enclosed the original atrium to make a family room. MCM is not my favorite style by a long shot but I could be very happy living in hers.

sushipup2 thanked Bunny
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    29 days ago

I don't always enjoy the feel or look of the MCM furniture - at least those pieces to be sat upon, I do like the wooden cabinets, bedroom tables, dressers, some of the dining pieces. I am more attracted to the houses than I once was and appreciate the modern lines for ease of cleaning. Our own now is a long drawn out single story ranch with definite MCM leanings. Built by a retiring doctor and his wife for their retirement home in 1955. I'd been in the home where they had raised their family - a three story colonial with no full baths, no bedrooms on the first floor and understand completely why they took a different direction with this one. This house was DH's idea, he absolutely loves it. Where I quietly find it a little large and expensive to maintain for two 😊 (heating, furnishing etc)

But I'd gone though the Z ad for the above house and wondered why I wasn't seeing any bathrooms in the photos.

Gigi having been there may have answered my questions 😊

sushipup2 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast