Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_934996732

Need help with P A I N T choices

Karen Barden
29 days ago

Hi folks. I have purchased, literally, 28 sample paints (please don’t laugh 😜) and am still not happy with a paint choice. My husband is ready to shoot me and I need some help. We are renovating my master bathroom but didn’t want to change the floor, which in retrospect, was a bad decision. However I’m already too deep into my pocket book to look back. My floor is a taupe/beige marble. We went with a white shower and white quartz countertop called, Carrera Deluxe. I’ve been in the Greige paint family but everything goes green or pink. I think I need to be in the tan/taupe family. Attached is a pic of my floor. I thinking that one day I’d change the floor so I’m trying to make this work for the time being. I’m thinking of painting the wall around a 55-65 LRV color to make the trim color pop. This bathroom is north facing, and is fairly large so this flooring is quite prominent. I need help with the wall, trim and cabinet color (they were cherry but I’m painting them too). Any help you can provide would be SO helpful and so appreciated. I feel stuck now and can’t finish this bathroom until I figure this out - and we’re going on 4 months. 😳

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

I would from the pic say grays is a better choice for wall color but monitors are tricky when trying to show color.maybe taupes are the way to go . I also advise you narrow the search to 5 max. or you will make yourself nuts. Do you have atile from the floor anywhere? Make sure your lighting is LED 4000K and when looking at colors at the paint store go outside on a sunny day the lighting in paint stores is awful Please also post a pic of th counter .Post in a comment DO NOT start another post.

• Karen Barden
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you. I wanted to post more pics but couldn’t figure it out. I have driven myself nuts already. This pic may look like it’s grayish, but it’s really taupe - trust me. Yes, I have the floor sample but my lighting is so very different than anything I’ve seen. One wall things look gray, another wall they look greenish and another wall they look taupe. Just nuts. Thank for the advice.

• Karen Barden
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you, Jillian. I’ll check out that swatch. I may also look at Manchester tan. I’ve looked at Revere Pewter, Balboa Mist, etc but all too green. I bought a gallon of Pale Oak ($$) but it shows pinkish undertones and just didn’t go. I could keep going with the paint color. Thanks again.

• kandrewspa
    29 days ago

Which brand are you sampling (what is your preferred brand?)? What have you tried already? Can you list the ones that have come closest and what the issue is with them? The names on the samples in your picture are too small for me to be able to read. What is your trim color? Does it look good with the floor? What direction is the natural light coming from? What type of artificial light do you have?

• apple_pie_order
    29 days ago

The floor tile has lots of variations in color, both warm and cool. There will not be a single wall paint color that "matches" the floor tile or its overall tinge. Trying to do that is not possible.

If you simply want to finish, look for the lightest color (looks off white) from the floor tile, turn on your lights during daylight, and choose that color from your favorite paint company.

• chispa
    29 days ago

Only going by the photo, which can be misleading, I would say that none of the colors you have looked at have enough yellow in them. Try BM Seapearl and BM Classic Gray.

• chispa
    29 days ago

Having collected paint cans before and knowing what a hassle it is to disposed of them, I now buy the larger sample boards from Samplize. I buy 2-3 boards of the colors I think will work best to put them on different walls at the same time . Only buy paint cans once I narrow it down to 2 colors.

Of course, now I have a paint sample board collection, but they are easy to store, don't make a mess or go bad and I have lent them to friends for their own painting projects.

• eld6161
    29 days ago

I went through the exact same process. Tried samples of all the popular grays. While lovely colors in themselves they all clashed.

Home Depot was the only one that offered to try to color match. Do you have a spare tile?

I have used BM Manchester in quite a few places. So no.

Edgecomb Gray might work. Pale Oak.

Like Patricia, your floor reads gray on my monitor. I’m going on what you are describing.

I so get your frustration

As light goes through the room, yes one walls can look different from each other.

But…..this is a bathroom, not a public area. If it’s not exact, it will be fine.

The other idea is finding a white to match your white tiles. This which could work because your vanity is stained rather than painted.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    29 days ago

If you are on a Windows computer, you can open your photo in Microsoft Paint and type in the names of the colors you used on the wall. At least that would provide us with the ability to know what works and what doesn't work in your space.

Right click on your photo and click "EDIT"

I suspect the paint color has already been sampled, but you don't know it yet.

• Karen Barden
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thanks folks for all the suggestions. I didn’t think about the multitude of colors in my floor and that is that is part of the problem. I’m getting confused not knowing which one to match a color to. Taking the tile and doing a color match a fantastic idea, eld6161.

Kandrespa - I like either SW or BM, but my husband wants me to go wihh the Aura paint from BM for the bathroom. I can list out my paints this evening and why they dont work.

Chispa: BM was running a sale on samples so that’s why i went that route, but yes, smarter to use the samplize sheets.

• Karen Barden
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Okay, I’ll do that this evening. great suggestion!

• barncatz
    29 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

I'm not liking any of those grays and would not try to do anything with matching the floor. The grey veins in your counter will be plenty sufficient to echo those tones. Other than those, I'd let it fade into the gray background.

Can you wait until your counter (and lights) are in? If not, I'd take a quartz sample and try and match the white or at least find a white that doesn't make the counter look dingy. IMO, that approach will let your stained vanity and counter stand out, since they seem like they deserve the attention.

• houssaon
    29 days ago

I like all the colors on the board on the floor except the lower right sample. I think the darkest one makes the floors look lighter, so that would be my first choice.

• la_la Girl
    28 days ago

I have so been where you are - hang in there 😆 I wonder about SW Tony Taupe, it's a warm taupe - I would be curious about that one

• Lyn Nielson
    28 days ago

since you have a pile, I'll add to it. SW City Loft.

I wouldn't stress too much, you said you'll have a base trim separating the wall from the floor.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    28 days ago

You're on the right track with colors that lean gray. Greige will work for your space

Taupe paints have too much color. They lean yellow or red.

• MarleneM
    28 days ago

I have a suggestion. Try covering your cherry vanity with a white sheet or drop cloth to see if that makes a difference. The dominant red tones of the cherry is probably bringing out the green tones in your samples.
    Check out BM Pashmina and BM Edgecomb Gray. Both are greige that I find lean warmer than revere pewter or pale oak. Below are photos of bathroom with Pashmina walls, and Pashmina cabinets with white/gray veined counters.

• Karen Barden
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Hello all. I must say that all of your suggestion had me narrow down to two colors. THANK YOU! Lights are not up, but I tried to simulate the lighting the best I could. The first picture is with just the lamps on. So which one should I choose? I very much appreciate his site!

• apple_pie_order
    28 days ago

Edgecomb Gray, the one on the right.

• barncatz
    28 days ago

I thought the vanity was stained?

• Boxerpal
    28 days ago

You are not alone. I remember my teenage daughter rolling her eyes to her friends when the cheer team was at the house. I wanted each girl to vote on their favorite white. From Behr Polar Bear, Ben Moore Super White, Farrow n Ball All White, Sherwin Williams White Snow, all all the white shade in-between So many shades so little time....

My daughter glared at me "Mom, All Whites are the same can you just leave us alone?"

So searching for that ever perfect shade of greige can be a challenge. I ended up with Balboa Mist BM which is very very similar to Edgecomb Gray

Here is what I love about my BM Balboa Mist. It fits perfectly with my space and light. Sometimes it looks like creamy beige other times a cool gray.

Totally dependent on the light from that part of the day. But ultimately it works with the other colors and tones in the space.

Good luck with your Edgecomb gray. It will become your most favorite color.

• Karen Barden
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thanks folks. I have a sample of Balboa Mist too. Perhaps I’ll give that a look at that again. I’m afraid the Pashmina will look too dark. After all, bathrooms are supposed to feel spa-like and the darker colors seem to take away from that feeling. At the same time, I want there the be significant contrast to make the white shower and countertop “pop.” Thoughts on the darker pashmina versus lighter Edgecomb or Balboa Mist? Balboa is on the left, Edgecomb is in the middle and Pashmina is on the right. Thank you so so much!!

• Boxerpal
    28 days ago

My vote is still Edgecomb. It looks great.

Of course... ( Not to stress you out... ) every monitor, phone, Ipad, Notebook or laptop is going to have a slightly different look than you seeing the colors in person. My laptop will look totally different than my cell phone. It is the nature of electronics.

Trust yourself, you can do this and it will look spectacular!!!

• MarleneM
    28 days ago

Your Pashmina sample is showing quite dark, almost olive greenish. I’ve used both and it must be the photo as I know it really isn’t that. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. Since you have sample cans try painting some larger boards and move them around the room before making a decision.
    Below are online samples of both colours, and an old photo of a cabinet I painted in Pashmina and the walls are Edgecomb. In the photo walls look darker but they’re not. Just goes to show that paint colours are hard to capture in a photo.

• PRO
    Georgica Macovei
    28 days ago

Given your preferences for a tan/taupe color scheme, consider exploring warm, neutral tones with a low to mid-range Light Reflectance Value to complement the existing elements and make the trim pop. Colors like Sherwin-Williams Accessible Beige or Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter could be great options to harmonize with the Carrera Deluxe countertop.

• Karen Barden
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Thank you so much. This site, and the people on it, are really just awesome! I so appreciate everyone’s “eye” which I do not have!