Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_47188442

what should we know for becoming a GC for our new home

Sukhi Singh
28 days ago

We want to build a new home in Long Grove, IL. We already have land and home design. We did a few house flipping in last 5 years, so have a little experience like that. We want to do so to save money. Is this a good idea? Anyone knows who can help with making/ building house digging,, framing etc.
any suggestion and information will be appreciated

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Zumi
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Can you actually perform quality control and mediation over a bunch of subcontractors that know more than you, and know you won’t be able to tell when they do a crapola job?

Are you retired and now want to go back to work way more than full time, babysitting grown folk? And cleaning up after them? And untangling he said she said pointing fingers of fault?

Are you prepared for your subcontractors quotes being higher than they would be to a contractor? Higher than standard homeowner retail even?

Are you prepared to have contractors drop you like a hot potato when the GC who gives them 600K of work a year needs them? Are you prepared for the delays of always being second or third down the line to someone who uses them frequently?

Are you prepared for paying all the extra interest from the higher rates from very few banks that give a self GC loan?

Are you prepared for your playing GC to cost yourself more money and more time than if you hired someone who is real and who does this professionally?

• Sukhi Singh
    Original Author
    28 days ago

I am thinking to hire someone who can make a contact with us to do our house halfway like upto
    dry wall installment, roof on and then we can finish like flooring, painting, bathrooms, closets, kitchen etc ourselves. I think that way we can save some money and save some of frustration from hidden problems?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    28 days ago

Welcome to the Wild West.

• K_ Dub
    28 days ago

We tried that approach. It’s been difficult to say the least. We’re over 2 years into it, spent twice as much as we planned. Hope to move into the house next month.

Most GCs won’t make that deal. We talked to several. The one that did is a small custom builder who doesn’t have the same leverage with the subs as the bigger guys. It sounded like a great idea. If I only knew then what I know now.

• bpath
    28 days ago

Hire a GC. They will know which tradespeople know how to avoid hitting the top of the covered bridge. (I’m a little familiar with Long Grove.)

• Sukhi Singh
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Anyone knows any good reasonable GC in Mundelein/ long grove area

• Sukhi Singh
    Original Author
    28 days ago

K_ Dub
    Can I have your GC information? My husband is a realtor and do property management, so we already have a lot of sub contractors

• Sukhi Singh
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Zumi, are you in construction business?
    Yes, my husband already talked to bank and our city for being GC himself too. But we are thinking to hire one other GC with him as he is going to finish the house with his sub contractor once house is built to the finishing line.

• Ally De
    28 days ago

This is one of those things that always sounds like a great idea.....until you get hip deep into it and realize it's just not.

Every now and then someone actually can make it work. It will take longer than they expected and still cost more than they hoped, but yes every now and then someone can save a little bit doing it this way - as long as you don't assign a dollar value to your own time and sanity, of course.

(*Those people who can make it work, KNOW that they can make it work going into it. They have enough construction knowledge and access to quality subs that they're qualified to assess the risk/reward of this approach. Those people really don't post here looking for strangers on the internet to tell them it's a great idea.....YMMV, of course.)

• aklogcabin
    28 days ago

First thing you need to know is that you have the skillsets and confidence in yourself to do it. Building a house is not that complicated. This is an investment in yourself. To me it sounds like you have the motivation to get it done. And everyone starts somewhere eh

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    28 days ago

GCs don't stay in business by not providing value. The most value they bring are their vetted sub contractors over whom they have leverage that a onesie can never have.

If the economy was in recession, you'd have good subs anxious to get your work. Those subs are locked up by reputable GCs that provide them with plenty of regular work.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

"what should we know for becoming a GC for our new home"

Psychology, economics, sociology, contract law, psychology, urban planning, physics, construction sciences, architecture, a rich uncle, first aid, mathematics, psychology, law in general, and marksmanship.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    27 days ago

Mark,

If you're open to an addition to a pretty comprehensive list, I suggest "marriage counseling."

• worthy
    27 days ago

Piece of cake. Hire the cheapest trades. Hand them the plan. Stand back and write the occasional cheque.

• PRO
    Zumi
    27 days ago

Your bank is not going to allow a home to be built halfway with their money. You will need to 100% be a cash build for the whole thing. And you are guaranteed to go way over budget with your background. Flipping is about the cheapest choice possible that only has to last until closing. Building is about the best value possible for the long term. Not even remotely the same thing.

If you don’t have all cash for a build, then you are going to need to do things on the bank’s terms. That way, there is something actually valuable to repossess rather than a 5 basement bedroom house with a giant sport court on top, or other nonsensical zero resale appeal ideas that people have had.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    27 days ago

Do you mean "occasional" or "frequent" ?

• worthy
    27 days ago

You will need to 100% be a cash build for the whole thing.

Not necessarily true if you have a strong history of proven income. But, even then, you may be required to hire a licenced gc or construction manager. Check with the authority having jurisdiction where you plan building.

• bry911
    27 days ago

You can end up with a great house and a small fortune in savings by GCing your own home. You just need to start with a large fortune in savings.

In my opinion, GCing is a great way to end up with a house that you appreciate and really value more than a home GCed by someone else, but it is not normally a path to major savings.