Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mstlh

Glass Block Windows in Dining Room Dilemma

mstlh
27 days ago

Hello Everyone,

I have had the hardest time tryng to add something fun and colorful to my dining room area. I would like to incorporate some artwork on the walls. However, the glassblock is a challenge. PLEASE HELP! I also wanted to have the sofa upholstered to a diferent color such as charteuse, mustard or marigold color. However, I havent quite decided. Ive also attached an inspriation photo thst show the mood im going for. Any suggestions you may have is appreciated. Excuse some of the out of place items in the background.

Comments (12)

• Kendrah
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Place a large horizontal piece of art centered on the upholstered bench and cover the right most window. The wall of windows is enough in that space and you don't need an extra dinky block glass one. Just cover it up. I'd like a pair of white spherical lights above the table, like the light in your first pic. Throw down a fun black and white rug and fill up the corner area with a tall plant.

I'd ditch the spoon and center the fork. More interesting and random. Cute dog.

mstlh thanked Kendrah
  • la_la Girl
    27 days ago

Love your inspro pics! if it were me, I would start with a bold patterned rug (you could always do an outdoor rug or a vinyl mat from Hudson & Vine) - then I would add wallpaper - then add oversized art

• arcy_gw
    27 days ago

You certainly have a ways to go. Why is the sofa not up against the wall? It's not useable as is. I'm not sure given it's arms if it's ever going to be a viable added seating to your table. You might reconsider that piece all together. Since there's quite a ledge in front of the block I might find a one paint glazed sculpture to add some color.

• HU-910663146
    27 days ago

You may want to just buy a new couch rather than recover the current one. Recovering is expensive, and you never really know how it is going to look when it is done.

• chispa
    27 days ago

In my area the labor to reupholster is quite reasonable ... the fabric is what takes up most of the budget, specially for a couch used at a dining table, which should be reupholstered in a good quality indoor/outdoor fabric like Sunbrella, Crypton, etc.

• JT7abcz
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

Your inspiration photos have loads of patterns and large scale items along with color. If you were going for a more neutral, solid look, the windows would be more noticeable.

Another possibility would be to add two large colorful pieces of artwork by the 2 windows and mimic a 3rd window using several framed art pieces above a bench or console, the way the first inspiration photo has used a grouping.

mstlh thanked JT7abcz
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    26 days ago

I moved your dining table so it's centered under your light fixture

mstlh thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Kendrah
    26 days ago

I adore the sofa at the table. The arms tapper down. Sunbrella has a lot of chartruse colors at reasonable prices.

mstlh thanked Kendrah
  • ffpalms
    26 days ago

I think I’d use the windows as part of a gallery wall. You could use the smaller pieces above your console, and choose one large piece to replace them.

• mstlh
    Original Author
    26 days ago

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I truly appreciate it! You have some great ideas. I have saved them to refer back to. Looking at the artwork examples, Im definately going to upholster the sofa in a charteause or mustard color to get the extra pop and work on arwork after. Thank you again!!

• shirlpp
    26 days ago

Drywall over those glass block windows - then - add artwork.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH