Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanette_frande

are 36” base drawer cabinets too long?

jfrande
28 days ago

I’m working on the cabinet details of my kitchen. The drawing shows 36” base drawer cabinets on each side of the range. My question is, are these to awkwardly long for function? I had originally said I did not like the vertical skinny utensil cabinets on each side of the range but now I’m wondering if that would be better? Any thoughts? (To the right is a corner sink)

Comments (28)

• millworkman
    28 days ago

I would think they would be quite heavy (possibly too heavy) after loaded with pots and pans.

• sushipup2
    28 days ago

They will be fine. We loaded Ikea 36" wide drawer stacks with pots and pans and dishes. They held up perfect and still are fine after 22 years.

• Linda.Linda2
    28 days ago

Mine are 36" and filled with heavy pots and pans. You'll be fine...and happy!

• chispa
    28 days ago

In my previous house I had a 48" wide drawer stack. Those were the original cabinets which didn't have the best quality hardware and they handled the weight of pots/pans just fine.

I wouldn't do those skinny utensil cabinet, although some people seem to like them.

You can always partition a larger drawer with organizers/dividers, but you can't make a smaller drawer bigger!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

They will be one the things you love most about your kitchen.

The thing you will love the least is a corner SINK.

Post the whole plan for the kitchen in a 2 d format, not the pretty elevations : ) Feet and inches on all of it.

• chicagoans
    28 days ago

I love my 36" drawers and they glide smoothly even when full of pots and pans. As mentioned, use good glides, full extension.

Instead of two deep plus one shallow drawer, like your picture, I have 2 deep but the top one (on each side) has a shallow pullout. For me, this works really well. (Others might not like the extra movement.)

This is what I mean by the top drawer with a pullout; this has the pullout partially out.

Without a pullout, the bottom drawer is deep enough for my tallest pot:

• Buehl
    28 days ago

Is the corner sink a prep sink or a cleanup sink? I have a corner prep sink, which I like, but I would not want a corner cleanup sink (or only sink in the Kitchen).

Regarding the 36"W drawers -- I have them and store all my pots & pans in them with no issues. If possible, I would request heavy-duty glides, but if not and your cabinets are not builder-grade, then the standard glides will likely be OK.

Note that I also have heavy glass casserole dishes in 33" wide drawers and they also have been fine.

• Theresa Peterson
    28 days ago

A corner sink can be done well ... the big detail is that you need a 12-18" cabinet between the sink and the dishwasher. Otherwise you'll have no place to stand as you move dishes from the sink to the dishwasher.

• chispa
    28 days ago

Yes, with a corner sink you need the trash cabinet next to the sink and then the DW.

• jfrande
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thank you all for your input! Very helpful. The sink has been a bit of a struggle. Most feedback I get, is that it is not a good choice. But I also did not want my sink in the island..

• PRO
    Georgica Macovei
    28 days ago

They can be good or bad depending on how you're going to use them, they look modern and functional, but you might also consider where you would put your trash can or other supplies cabinet

• Buehl
    28 days ago

You could post your layout here and see what we can come up with - we might think of something you or your KD did not think of.

If you are open/willing to consider other options, then...

Excerpt from the Featured Answer of the "New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" thread:

Please post a fully-measured layout of the space under consideration and a sketch of the entire floor. Both can be either hand-drawn, computer generated, or drawn up with computer/app tools.

Regardless of how you draw it up (by hand, computer, etc.), please be sure all measurements are labeled. (Note: Computer generated layouts often lack key measurements and, sometimes, measure to/from things like the middle of a wall or the middle of a window. Neither are useful. Measure each item and the distances between each item.)

Other questions...

• Tell us about you and your family and how you plan to use your Kitchen. All-adults? Empty Nesters? Children (now or in the future)?
    • What appliances (& their sizes) do you plan to have?
    • Where are you flexible? Can walls/windows/doors/doorways change (move, change size, add, delete)?
    • Do you have a basement under the Kitchen or are you on a slab?

The above and more are discussed in the Layout Help FAQ.

Important question: What's more important to you, function or looks? There's no right or wrong answer, just the answer that's right for you. Most of us here are "function first" or "function follows form" people, so we usually have a difficult time letting a dysfunctional layout alone without at least mentioning issues we see. It's very easy to make a functional layout/Kitchen look nice, but it's next to impossible to make a nice-looking but dysfunctional layout/Kitchen functional without tearing it out and starting over.

Note: No one is forcing you to look at alternatives nor can anyone force you to use an alternate layout, but why not at least see if there are other ideas? If you're going to spend $$$$ on a remodel, at least consider other options b/f committing to one.

Regarding a sink in the island -- I agree with you about cleanup sinks, but not necessarily prep sinks, it depends on the functionality of the layout/space.

• Buehl
    28 days ago

Found this older thread...https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6410339/help-what-size-range-36-or-48

If you're going with the one posted in the starting post, then there are quite a few issues with it. But, those were all pointed out to you then, so I'm guessing you are not interested in other options. It also pretty much answered my function vs form question, form/looks are more important than function.

I'm stepping aside now unless the OP is willing/open to other ideas.

Good luck with your project!

• jfrande
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Of course I am worried about function. The kitchen is where I spend most of my time. If I move the sink to right, I lose upper cabinets. I would only be able to have one upper cabinet

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    28 days ago

If that is your refrigerator far left against the wall (Subzero maybe?), you will need more clearance FILLER to the left of it....so your drawers may need to shrink down to 33" anyway. But to your original question? 36" pot/pan drawers are awesome. I've even done kitchens with 42" and 45" drawers. I have a 42" stack in my showroom. It's completely fine!

• chispa
    28 days ago

My previous house had a corner sink. When I remodeled I told the kitchen designer he could move it if he found a better spot for it. He was a very good and creative designer ... and he didn't find a better spot for it! We did open up the front rail by adjusting the size of cabinets on either side. The reasons there wasn't a better spot ... sloped ceiling, 2 walls, ceiling beams that outlined the space, a large peninsula and corner windows with mountain views. We had no issues with the corner sink and it worked well for our family. We also had no issues selling the house with a corner sink!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    28 days ago

1) Your stove does not need to be centered on the long wall - your island is going to block the view of the symmetry, plus no one is ever going to be looking at the space from that one centered point of view which also negates the importance of symmetry. Likewise, although it is traditional, sinks do not need to be centered under windows. Play around with tweaks to the stove position to get the sink out of the corner - or at least to create more standing room in the corner, like a wider face on the sink cabinet.

2) Can your stove go on your short wall, and still be able to vent to the outside? Then the sink can be on the long wall, with upper cabinets and/or shelves, and lots of work space in between the sink and the stove, and landing space next to the fridge.

2) It looks like you will have storage space in the laundry room, a walk-in pantry, and (I assume) storage in the island. What do you have that needs to go into more than one upper cabinet?

• jfrande
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Beside the fact that corner sinks take up a lot of square footage, what are the other reason people do not like them?

• btydrvn
    27 days ago

Over the years I have learned that accessibility should line up with how often you use your pans and utensils..for that reason I leave out the cooking utensils that I use daily..in tall narrow attractive “vases”……with a then a narrow drawer on each side of the stove is handy for silverware and occasionally used cooking

• btydrvn
    27 days ago

tools

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    27 days ago

The kitchen has a short wall a long wall and an island. I understand .......you want upper cabinets.

Post the flat on paper drawing of the whole kitchen, where you enter, and a indicate what surrounds the kitchen with all the dimensions in feet and inches.

You might be surprised........: )

• Buehl
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

You have a separate pantry...

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    27 days ago

I like wide drawers on either side of the range but I like the 36" ones with a split shallower set of drawers on the top like in this pic in fact I lke the split top draer with even 30" drawer stack I like to keep all my gadgets in drawers and that makes oragnizing them much nicer .I use pulls on all my cabinets long ones for the wide drawers and then just shorter ones for the small drawers

MY range wall drawers are 30" and the coffee bar 36"

• jfrande
    Original Author
    27 days ago

This is a good idea! Thanks so much!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    27 days ago

My biggest issue with a corner sink is indeed the wasted space, and also a degree of being "penned in" to the corner by the flanking cabinets.

However, as Chispa pointed out, if well planned/designed they can function just fine.

• dan1888
    27 days ago

The issue with a corner sink is accessibility for more than one person at a time.

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    20 days ago

As a former kitchen designer, I am a big fan of large drawers. One thing you might consider looking at on Amazon, is spring loaded drawer dividers. The ones made of bamboo seem to work quite well and help organize everything in the drawers - especially the large top drawers. I use them in my home and find them to be very helpful.