Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annemad

I just can’t figure out what to do

Janice Winter
21 days ago

I just purchased this home. I don’t like the vertical empty space between windows. Im definitely painting and trying to create a more substantial focal point. I’m open to any suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Comments (16)

• Tachch
    21 days ago

First, I recommend removing the accent color from the TV wall. Just paint it the same color as the rest...

• Janice Winter
    Original Author
    21 days ago

The furnishings are not mine

• ffpalms
    21 days ago

I think this is a beautiful idea.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    21 days ago

I'd be worried about the acoustics in a room with that tall of a ceiling. Fixing that may involve some design trade-offs.

• ffpalms
    21 days ago

You might find artwork you like that lends itself to vertical stacking.

• Kat M
    21 days ago

If the furniture is not yours, then what is your style?

• la_la Girl
    21 days ago

Without any direction on what you like, what furnishings you have etc. - it's hard to give any feedback? I would move in with your things, paint everything the walls all same color and then come back -

FWIW l love what @ffpalms posted

• housegal200
    21 days ago

No TV on fireplace. Find a beautiful vertical skyscape, modern or traditional, to hang there. A tall ceiling like that can take a dramatic, large pendant as well. This room has a feeling to go for. That blue wall has to go--no accent wall, just light airy wall paint.

Living Spaces · More Info

Skyscapes, not necessarily these, but the feeling that comes across when you connect the actual sky coming through the windows and a painting "talking" to them.

Moonlit Sea Hand Painted Canvas · More Info

Across the Expanse, Original, Painting · More Info

That room needs a large rug to create some living level interest. The rug should echo whatever your art work is, furnishings, etc. Creamy white walls with the tall vertical painting and an interesting rug would make the room very dynamic,

Surya Banshee BAN-3342 24x36" Rectangle Modern Wool Rug in Dark Blue/Blue · More Info

Whisper Beige/Blue Landscapes Rug, 7'9"x9'9" · More Info

The rug below would echo a painting like the orange sunset skyscape posted.

Mosaic 5'x8' Area Rug · More Info

Your living room is big enough to fairly bold art and r, ugs with everything else neutrals to showcase windows, floors, fireplace wall.

"Smara" Fine Art Canvas Print, 18"x12" · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

When someone hunts down the so called architect of this ill proportioned crime? Take his license away. : (

Get a mirror framed to match the flanking windows, paint the wall as all others, and do not stare up.

Please no bold artwork- will just make it worse.

Framing a mirror to match the windows? It becomes a blur of all "window" - you pray.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    21 days ago

Paint the wall to match the others, remove the TV, then find some tall vertical artwork which looks good in that space.

• kevin9408
    21 days ago
    last modified: 21 days ago

After looking at all the pictures from the listing it's really not that bad, it's just how the furniture is staged, and the color of the accent wall. Think about mounting the TV on the wall between the opening from the kitchen and closet door, position seating toward the TV to give the room more depth.

I'd maybe run veneer stone or large tile to the ceiling peak before changing the color.

Yes, other pictures help to get the big picture, and It's a nice looking house including the outside pool area. How do I Know this? Google lens, it's amazing and pulled up the listing there in Tennessee.

• Janice Winter
    Original Author
    21 days ago

My thanks to each of you. I will follow the suggestion that advises me to come back when my furniture is in place. I really appreciate all the help. Great ideas. Great sleuthing Kevin9408

• Janice Winter
    Original Author
    21 days ago

Ffpalms- where did you find the wall hanging? It’s lovely

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    21 days ago

I think you want to consider adding a chandelier hung at the correct height.

Select something for over the FP that is taller than the windows on either side.

• Boxerpal
    21 days ago

I love your space and your new house. I agree finding a solution for that vast space will go a long way to making it feel better.

If it were my house. I would put a fake window exactly like the real windows. A framed fake window that is really just hung on the wall. So it would look like there are 3 windows. Am I seeing window blinds on the windows? I would get a 3rd exactly the same to create the illusion of 3 windows.

Looking forward to seeing this beautiful space come together.

• ffpalms
    21 days ago

I just did a Google Lens search and there appear to be a few sellers of the wall hanging. This is just one.