Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caryn_schulman11

my living space doesn’t sing

Caryn Schulman
20 days ago

I live in a small apartment and when I moved in I was broke and ended up furnishing my apartment with other people’s discarded furniture, namely this piano which I love but don’t know how to style into this room. It only fits here, I just think the wall dressings are not working. The gold frame is a collage I want to keep on the wall, and the painting is one I made, but am open to suggestions on how to improve this wall without moving any furniture around. The gold lamp on the right is a corner lamp, below is a bar cart and a dining table.

Comments (6)

• kandrewspa
    20 days ago

The mountain picture would look better framed and hung lower. Hang it so it relates to the sofa, about 6" above the sofa. Even when framed it may not be large enough for that spot. You probably need something taller there. But I don't think trying to relate it to the piano is a good idea. The same idea applies to the other picture. Hang it lower and more to the right so it relates to the chair under it. Is this your dining area? If so, it should be hung in the right spot for the whole dining area. The rule of thumb for art is to hang it at eye level. While there is wiggle room because of what it's over and next to, yours is definitely too high. The piano is standing alone nicely by itself with the things you have on it. If anything there are too many things, but if they are things that are meaningful to you and you don't have anywhere else to put them then I could see them staying. I like the branches.

Edge Hill Project · More Info

Pelham Renovation · More Info

• Boxerpal
    20 days ago

@kandrewspa gave some great suggestion.. The suggestions are showing a focal point.

Caryn,

You need a focal point. I feel like I want to look at that beautiful painting but then I am distracted by the lovely vase and then my view wanders to the lamp and back to the vase and then to the gold frame.

So.. Lets make your space beautiful . Can you post a photo back further away not directing your image to the ceiling and showing a bit of the floor?

See how the three frames balance each other out and create a focal point

Beverly Glen Master Bedroom · More Info

Classic and Chic Living Room · More Info

How to make a gallery wall layout BLOG

• chloebud
    20 days ago

My thoughts are in sync with kandrewspa’s. Both matting and framing would help with your painting‘s size. As kandrewspa posted, it needs to be lower for more connection with the sofa. If possible, fewer items on the piano would be nice. Yes, lower for the collage, too.

The 6” above sofa, or other furniture, is a good rule of thumb. You don’t want the art floating too high and away. However, if there’s no furniture below, it can work nicely if the center of the art is 57-60 inches from the floor.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    20 days ago

Gee, how do you expect to get any help with one incomplete photo of the space? Most images of the complete room.

• deegw
    20 days ago
    last modified: 20 days ago

Will you show the rest of the room? You might be able to shop your space as well as rearrange but it's hard to say without seeing the rest of the room.

You should be able to find some inexpensive pillow covers for your sofa pillows. Get a pattern with brown, blue and green or just a plain bright blue or green. It will help the eye tie the sofa and the art together. Lowering the art and collage, as mentioned above, will also help as well.

If you don't have the money for a frame. you could start a gallery ledge with your painting as an anchor. Fill the ledge with other pieces when you can afford them. In the meantime, you could put a few succulents on it.

• apple_pie_order
    20 days ago

You can wrap your sofa cushions with polyester quilt batting from JoAnn's, clean the covers, then put the covers back on. They may need two full/double size quilt battings. They will look much better when filled out and plump.