Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilceeja

Cost for touch ups for selling

lilceeja
19 days ago

Getting my house ready to sell and had a painter come by for a quote for touching up walls, fixing drywall holes from nails and dents, fixing cracks in walls and between baseboards and will also be fixing the tape separating on my vaulted ceilings. house is about 2400 sq ft and he quoted me 2k. does this seem too high? was recommended from my realtor

Comments (9)

• PRO
    AiFL
    19 days ago

That sounds pretty good to me, but it’s all relative to your location, the house and what it might sell for, how much time it will take him, the quality of his work, etc. and most importantly, if you feel like it’s a fair price, then it’s a fair price.

• PRO
    Zumi
    19 days ago

Touch ups will all show unless the paint job has been within the last year. Better to invest in all fresh paint.

• A Mat
    19 days ago

Do you think you will recoup the $2k costs?

If $2k seems high to you, sell as is.

Where is the property located and the estimated selling price, before the $2 k investment?

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    19 days ago

Not sure i mean im sure it will look a lot better fixed. less room for realtor to point out issues. im in philly area and realtor mentioned around 650k.

• A Mat
    18 days ago

You spend $2k and the buyer doesnt care and spends $100k.

I question why your realtor recommends investing $2k on a $650 k sale.

Might be a kickback involved…What can be done for $2k? Maybe 10 hrs of labor and $500 materials?

• lilceeja
    Original Author
    18 days ago

She just recommended to touchup paint and cracks in vaulted ceiling. have some water damage too that needs to be fixed. the other items painter mentioned may not be necessary though.

• Susan L
    18 days ago

I doubt it’s about recouping costs. It’s more like giving the impression your house has been well cared for. Cracks and stains could drive away buyers who are leary of problems.

• A Mat
    18 days ago

I agree it may not be about recouping costs…more like lip stick on a pig.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    18 days ago
    last modified: 18 days ago

Totally fair especially with a vaulted ceiling involved.

Once he gets into it, more issues could be discovered, the scope of work could grow. Something to keep in mind.

Nothing stopping you from getting another quote or two - if you can get someone to show up. Depending on market, that can be challenging these days.