Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ekoorba

Where to put the TV? Living room layout help

ekoorba
10 years ago
My husband and I just bought our first apartment in NYC (very exciting)! The problem is that while it's a great space, the square footage is rather small. Our big dilemma is the living room as there is no obvious place for the tv. The wall attached to the kitchen is only 30 inches wide (so it would be a small tv). Or we could put one on the larger wall and have a couch in the middle of the room but this could possibly make the space not feel as open....what do you think??

Comments (15)

• Darzy
    10 years ago
    How about instead of a sofa, do four comfy swivel rockers floating in the middle of the room? Then, a cabinet with tv mounted above where the sofa is now. (So, two of the chairs would be back to the tv sort of flanking the console and two chairs facing the tv. You can have the tv framed like art or sliding door art to hide the tv. The console would be nice storage and a buffet/bar when entertaining.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Definitely NOT this style, but the four chairs/table like this, and the tv/console where the window seat is. Just for a visual idea of placement....
    Traditional Family Room · More Info
  • Amy Cali
    10 years ago
    I think eightpondfarm's idea is excellent!
  • PRO
    Southern Kitchens, Ltd. Co
    10 years ago
    I have to agree with Darzy. But the sofa still looks new, if keeping possibly put sofa back toward window wall and get another chair and put chair backs toward camera.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Another option would be the same layout closer to the windows but facing the long wall instead . Move the couch facing the wall (placed where the chair is now). and the chair on the other side. With the tv on the wall where there's the artwork. You might have to move the artwork though.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    For some reason, I'm thinking this is not your furniture. The listing photo? Am I right? These photos are just layout, then hidden tv ideas. I love the motorized one.

Living Room · More Info

Sustainable Long Island Residence · More Info

the Bauhaus living space · More Info

Newtown Terrace · More Info

My Houzz: Feminine Chic Charms in a Chicago Rental · More Info
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Try centering the rug on the windows and column. Then float the sofa a couple of feet from the windows and ac units with the stacking tables on the wall beside it, floor lamp in the corner. Hang the art on the dining room wall and get a credenza to place about where the sofa is now. Set the TV on a swivel on it or wall mount it above on a swivel arm. Angle the yellow chair at the kitchen corner. If there is an outlet there try a side table and lamp with it. Hang a floating shelf and art on the wall left of the entry for a "foyer" look.
    Moraga Residence · More Info

Floating Console · More Info
  • ekoorba
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the advise! I should have mentioned that all the furniture in the photo was used to stage by the seller, so none of it is mine. Have to buy all new furniture for the space.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Raise pic up about 6". Add panels to ends of windows. Woven fabric. In wall color or darker. Move or get another chair put closer to side of sofa, as well as other one place across room from each other. Great room. Good job. Can TV go on small wall we see by kitchen?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Is that a clock so high up? Between windows. Remove add long narrow art, hang low. Out floor lamp on other side behind that table. Add a big tall lamp yellow base, black shade drum style to tray tables. Add colors from rug in pillows and pots to coffee table. Under TV a small media to hold components. Is there another room for TV? Maybe in front of windows but hate to do that. There are cabinets to. Hides TV, you use remote to have it come out of top. That may work. Use same accessories as rug color, in dining and kitchen. To tie it together.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Should have read post before I posted. Didn't know it wasn't your fun. But I like it. Go with that look. If you don't use 2nd bedrm. Use that as a media room with TV.
  • Nicole Lee
    10 years ago
    how about the tv along the long wall where the photo is in this picture and the sofa facing that long wall?
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Well, that happens to us all the time! Not the dilemma poster's furniture. Do copy what I said with your own furniture - now you know what to buy: rug first, then sofa, chair, credenza, tv, art, dining set, floating shelf, mirror.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would place the TV. on the long wall where the large art is. Float all the furniture in the middle of the room. If you choose a low back sofa facing the TV, you can use a sofa table behind it to soften the sofa back. Chairs and ottomans for seating. I would place the dining near the balcony side of the open floor plan. If there is room, maybe a writing desk in front of the windows on the right side of the window walls.

To save floor space. I would use the kitchen wall as a photo or art wall without any furniture there.
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH