Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

How often do you use "Fine China?"

Emily H
10 years ago
Do you have a lovely set of fine China stowed away in your home? Maybe it was handed down from a relative or gifted to you at the time of your wedding, or you just found it and fell in love with it.

How often do you use it and for what occasions?

Share your experience here! ( Photos encouraged )

Lafayette Residence Two · More Info

Comments (426)

• PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    5 years ago
    Very pretty
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    No “fine china” in our house. Spode Christmas dishes for 24. Plain china for 24 for big parties we used to have. Daily dishes. More “occasion” dishes. Too many dishes.
  • Sylvia Wendel
    4 years ago

I have a set of Czech China from around 1961. It was my grandmother’s gift — ordered from Macy’s, though, not taken down from the attic or anything like that. I love having it — so many different sizes of plates and bowls! Delicate, thin, pink roses with grayish leaves, gilt around the edges. I wonder how a product from what was then an East Bloc nation found its way into Macy’s in NY at the height of the Cold War.

Very different from the sturdy Mikasa China that came with my wedding here in California, in 1985,

I use the old China once or twice a year, for family /holiday dinners with less than ten guests. Thanksgiving and Passover are our two big nights — sometimes I use the vintage ware, sometimes the Mikasa because that can go into the dishwasher.

At home on a daily basis, it’s fiestaware. Love that stuff. Wears like iron and always looks good,

• PRO
    Terri M
    4 years ago

I have my moms moms noritake China from occupied japan. There are two patterns but to look at them you will barely notice. I inherited it and tried to give it to my children who didn’t want it and I tried to give it to my moms only living sibling who didn’t want it. So I began using it on Thanksgiving and Christmas and I put it in the dishwasher. There is no silver or gold rings on any of it. I don’t keep it set on the table because my style of home decor is contemporary with a danish flair. I also use her set of silver plate international interlude. I do not put the silver in the dishwasher. I haven’t brought myself to use the real silver flatware which is the same interlude pattern. Still keep that in the safe. I remind everyone at the table that we have included granny for Thanksgiving. Thanks for creating this post.

• easternhomebuilder
    4 years ago

An update for my Houzz friends. My wife and I sold our 10 room custom colonial, started building a custom salt-box, and purchased a villa-type condo in Florida this summer to use as a winter vacation home. How does this tie into the topic? We are using the fine china and silverware in the villa as our every day china and flatware. As you might have guessed, the work involved in all these moves has been ENORMOUS...preparing the house for sale, renovating the 40 year old condo, and working on plans with the builder. There are some lessons learned that I will be posting here...expensive and occasionally life threatening lessons and I hope will benefit some of you. And a few questions come to mind where I would appreciate your input. Might post a picture or two as well. All the best.

• Patricia Aucoin
    4 years ago

It is amazing to see that this topic is stilling be commented on. I posted several years ago and thought I would comment again. Hurricane Katrina changed my mind about using my "good" china, crystal, and silver. I did not inherit anything because my family was poor. So many people lost their "good" stuff in the flooding during Katrina. My girlfriend lost her grandmother's, mother's, and her wedding china. She only used hers a few times on holidays and never used the others. Use your special china because many of you will discover that your kids and grandkids don't want any of your stuff. I am giving away to charity as I get older and only keeping things I can see and touch, nothing hidden away in boxes. Surround yourself with the things you love and enjoy them while you can. Happy Holidays!!!

• denkyem
    4 years ago

A few years ago a friend's mother was helping to clean out the home of a friend of hers who'd passed away, and who was a very serious collector of fine china. His only instruction was that none of his collection should be sold -- it should all be donated or given away. She reached out to many of her daughter's friends to offer us china sets, so I received a set of lovely classic gold-rimmed china, I think Noritake. There were originally settings for 12, with about 10 fully intact. It's been fantastic and useful because it doesn't have personal sentimental value, the set was imperfect, and I got it for free, so if I smash or damage pieces it's not really a big loss. As a result, although I don't use it daily because it needs handwashing, I use it pretty freely for dinner parties and holidays.

Other than this set, I didn't have more than four matching plates until my husband and I married recently in our early thirties! We registered for a blue and white Kate Spade set that we love using for everyday, and that's nice enough for dinner parties too.

I'll eventually inherit some family Limoges from my mother, which will be much more stressful given the sentimental value.

• Valinta
    4 years ago

My Noritake wedding china 1974 white with a simpleblack design on the edge. We used, but not often. My daughter loved it so when she married in 2013 I had no problem giving it to her. Then I added plain white dinnerware to work with another watercolor pattern I had. As long as I can put 12 - 15 places for special occasions I’m happy.

• Kelli Handley
    4 years ago

I have commented for a while but glad to see the conversation still going.

I use at least a piece of my china almost daily. I used Lenox Monroe for tonight’s hot choccy.

My formal china collection is up to 710 pieces, with 106 different patterns represented. Most of the them are Noritake and Lenox with some Nikko, Mikasa, and Royal Daulton mixed in.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

My better china is rarely used because people don’t seem to have “dinner parties” very often anymore. The same for the crystal. We may have a dinner party twice a year.
    My 24 settings of Spode Christmas dishes will be used next week for the first time in maybe eight years: our daughters and their families live in the east and traveling at Christmas can be expensive and hectic. This will be all my side of the family on Christmas Eve at our house, and us, our kids and grands with hubby’s side of the family Christmas Day at their house.

• dochill67
    4 years ago

I like the occasional piece but not keen on the set. I have Royal Doulton and never use it.

• shirleenprescott
    4 years ago

I posted several years back. Ashamed to say our meals are being served on cheap paper plates/ or if we have guests- White Correlle.

• april
    4 years ago

4 years ago, I decided to use my Noritake china everyday. It was stored away and never used. Emptied my everyday dishes and put the china in the kitchen cupboards. They are washed in the dishwasher and still look new. I smile every time I use them. Which, in my option is better than saving for my kids, who don’t want them.

• Mary Glickman
    4 years ago

My mom had 3 sets of China - one that belonged to my father’s aunt, one that she got for her wedding in 1957, and one that she chose on a trip to England with my dad in the 80’s. Last year we were cleaning out the house and there was so much China and all manner of serving dishes and tiny berry bowls and etc.

My sisters took my great aunt’s China and the newer set, and I chose the wedding china, a Syracuse pattern that doesn’t look all that vintage today - white dishes with a pale gray band, with a thin silver ring and tiny silver and white flowers. It’s currently in 2 boxes as I try to figure out how to display or use it.

I also have my grandmother’s “everyday” dishes - Franciscan Ivy pattern. I laughed when recently I watched an episode of I Love Lucy and saw Lucy and Ricky having their morning coffee out of the same pattern! :)

• Sarah
    4 years ago

New Year’s Eve I used my great Aunt Honey’s China from 1925, Aunt Margie’s silver from the 1940’s, my hubby’s grandmother’s water goblets from the 1950’s and my simple crystal from the 1999. Love them all and stayed up til 2 am hand washing. A great way to end/ begin the decades.

• Janeen Bellafiore
    4 years ago

Sarah, these dishes are stunning! From 1925?! Wow!

• Sarah
    4 years ago

Janeen- Tressman & Voght TRV15 is the pattern. It’s been discontinued but Replacements has had pieces in the past- I inherited a place setting for 12 & bought a few serving pieces from Replacements. I love busting out the China!

• decorpatti
    4 years ago

I just spent the last 1+ hour(s) reading through this entire thread, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a limited number of place settings of our wedding pattern (Minton Avonlea) which we have only used maybe 8-10 times in 41 years (only 4 place settings), but I have a set that I inherited from my mother-in-law (Rosenthal, still searching for pattern name) that we have used for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for many years. She also passed a Wedgewood Susie Cooper Cornflower set that we used daily for many years. I also have Waterford crystal, sterling silver, both my own and my mother-in-law's, that we use several times a year. Sadly, I am pretty sure that my daughter does not want any of these beautiful things...she entertains much more than I do, but it is always very casual, and much more 'bohemian' and party-oriented. Lovely, well-crafted things don't seem to be to her taste. Our daughter in law loves pretty plates and uses a variety of unmatched plates, many from around the world. I, of course, won't make any assumptions, and will ask them both about these things at some point. My husband and I have many beautiful and valuable items (furniture, piano, jewelry, artwork, rugs), some that we purchased, some that we inherited, that will not be desired by our children...it is very sad to me, but they seem to appreciate more modern, and more rustic designs.

• jtz58
    4 years ago

We have some beautiful Haviland that belonged to my great grandmother. We use it often and have never broken a piece. It was made to be used and is useless if it isn't. Funny how the most boring of dinners tastes better on a beautiful dish!

• golfer32
    4 years ago

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this chain and seeing the photos of beautiful table settings! It is so nice to see that China is still (somewhat) alive! We have Lenox Autumn and I still love it. It goes in the dishwasher with no problems. This chain has reminded me that I don’t use it often enough - a couple of times a year. We’re going to use it tomorrow!!! Who am I saving it for?
    And @Patricia Aucoin - thank you for the words of wisdom to only keep things you can see and touch…

• Liya
    4 years ago

This year's setting.

• Kelli Handley
    4 years ago

Winter table setting. Noritake Blue Hill

• Kelli Handley
    4 years ago

Glad to see this thread still going. Even a simple dinner deserves a pretty plate. Noritake Williamson .

• joe12333
    4 years ago

Nice to know this thread is still alive and well! We recently moved into a new (albeit quite old) house which has a nice butler's pantry that has allowed us to increase our collection a bit more! Our new daily china is Spode's "Blue Italian" and for formal dinners we use Franciscan's "Arcadia Gold," which we picked up at an antique store. It's simple and elegant and works beautifully in our dinning room with its golds and celadons. We also started collecting etched glassware and now have a beautiful set of 24 of Morgantown's "Virginia" pattern.

For Christmas and thanksgiving we paired the china with Gorham's "La Scala" sterling and a beautiful set of monogrammed napkins (that we can never fold right to actually see the monogram, but oh well)

I don't have any close-ups but here are a few table settings!

Also, side-note: I noticed many people commenting that they don't know what pattern they have. I recently found out that Replacements will identify your pattern for you if you send a picture! It was so helpful with the numerous pieces of glassware we received when we cleared out my Aunt's house.

• Beverly Macbeth
    4 years ago

joe, you set a *beautiful* table. I appreciate seeing how you've managed to put two place settings around the oval end of your table - what a good idea!

• Sarah
    4 years ago

I forgot to mention my 16 year old daughter was appalled I didn’t iron the linen napkins for NYE dinner. So I’m pretty sure she will be happy to inherit some of these pieces! My 14 year old son? Ha ha ha- will have to wait & see!

• Susan Davis
    4 years ago

I married In 1972 and we chose Lennox Moonspun and Fostoria Sheffield and international silverplate?
    Used it every day til our second child was born, then every Sunday when child 3 and 4 came along. Next we had twins and stopped using the good stuff at except for holidays. Now it just stays in the China Hutch. I still love it!
    My oldest daughter wants it when I am gone!

• Aphaea
    4 years ago

Following.

• HU-448199429
    3 years ago

Have 60 piece set to include coffee pot, 3-tier serving tray and etc that we break out during holidays and when we have company. I make sure we are careful with this one as I completed it over the years. Our other china from France am unable to complete.

• HU-448199429
    3 years ago

I love the colors on this one but cannot find additional pieces for it. June was born in 1939, and when she said it belonged to her great-great aunt, guessing this dates back to the 1800s. Found pieces that came close but not the same exact pattern.

• printesa
    3 years ago

I love Haviland. That second one is so pretty. Have you contacted Haviland to see if they can help you? Replacements might be able to help identify the collection in case you don't know it.

• jddeppe
    3 years ago

I have my grandmothers Bavarian China from the 1930’s. It is called Moss Rose. Grandma gave it to me as a wedding gift. The tablecloth was embroidered by grandma also. Don’t mind the mix match...my daughter made a romantic dinner for my hubby and I on our 27th anniversary during lockdown ❤️ we use the dishes on most holidays and now and then I can find pieces available on Replacements but I haven’t ever bought more as I have setting for 10, creamer, sugar, platters, serving bowls, etc. I decided several year ago that using them and creating the memories with my kids was more important than “keeping them safe” by NOT using them. IF they get broken I will be a little sad BUT again what’s the point of having them if not used?

• jddeppe
    3 years ago

Forgot to add the picture

• jddeppe
    3 years ago

Forgot to add pic

• HU-448199429
    3 years ago

Thank you printesa on your comment on the French china. Yes, I sent the picture to Haviland and I think the circa date is much earlier than what I have on the picture. June was born in 1939 and she said this particular set belonged to her great-great aunt which would put it into the 1800s by guessing estimate. The stamp was used in the 1800s as well as between 1920 to 1930 time frame. I do love the design and the gold on this particular set and the platinum on the German set.

• Tara
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I got rid of my "fine bone china", as it was not my style - flowers everywhere. I like tea cups and saucers with flowers, but that's about it. I do have some dishes that probably are not "fine" china as I think they are milk glass but very thin, thin enough you can see light through, with gold rims. I just have cups and a sugar and creamer. They were my grandmother's. I use them for coffee, because as a child I remember my grandmother and mother sitting at the little yellow table drinking coffee from a percolator.

• Sarah
    3 years ago

@hu-448: I found your pattern! Go to Replacements.com and search Haviland China. They are out of stock of many pieces but now you know the name! Plus, they can reach out to you if any pieces become available.

• Sarah
    3 years ago

And it’s on page 8 of 112 of Haviland China ;)

• markfalcoff58
    3 years ago

I am a single man who likes to cook and entertain. I live in Washington DC and have many opportunities to invite interesting people to dinner. What better way than with fine china, silver and crystal, which makes the guests feel important. My china is Spode "Summer Palace" and my flatwear is Wallace Grand Baroque. It takes a little more effort in cleaning up but I know guests are flattered that you've gone to the trouble of setting a fine table.

• HU-448199429
    3 years ago

Thank you Sarah. Saved the information along with the Blank and pattern number as well as the Schleiger number. Hopefully the company will let me know what year this particular pattern came out.

• craigsara
    3 years ago

I use my fine china often. I do not keep it for special occasions. I have white China and I have some of my great-grandmothers dinner set of Chinese red plates. My great grandmother was married around 1872 and the plates are from Belgium. I like to cook and entertain but not currently with the Pandemic.

• HU-448199429
    3 years ago

Sarah and Printessa, Heard back from Haviland. The shape came out in 1893 but the pattern came out in 1921 on the French china which gives an approximate age on it.

• printesa
    3 years ago

Glad to hear that they gave you a better idea about the age. I hope you'll find any missing pieces so you can complete the set

• Sarah
    3 years ago

Thanks for that update! I love China and all the beautiful patterns. Go buy up the available pieces from Replacements! You “need” that serving platter, tea cups and sugar or creamer set, right?

• HU-448199429
    3 years ago

Have that with the exception of the platter. On the German set just got an email from Replacements where I was missing the coffee pot, 3 tier server tray and the creamer but have everything else which should complete the German set.

• RMC
    3 years ago

I use my wedding china about six times a year. I still love it, Wedgewood's Wild Strawberry. I have my mother's which I do not care for, but am hanging on to it for my nieces who don't have room for it yet.

I love that my pattern can be lighter and nice for spring and summer with white or green linen and good at Christmas too with red and green table linen.

• caterfran
    3 years ago

I picked my china in 1959 at age 18 and I went against everything anyone suggested. I picked Royal Dalton china with a floral motif. It is virtually indestructible. And it has that fine translucence of bone china. I love it for the Jewish Holidays.

• eightpondfarm
    3 years ago

i inherited my mother's Lenox "Blue Ridge" and then added every serving plate/bowl...every weird little berry bowl and compote and teacup gravy server etc. Full service for 12 now. We don't use it at all! But i have entered Tablescapes competitions with my collection :-)

• caterfran
    3 years ago

What’s a tablescape competition. Sounds like a fun event

• Aphaea
    2 years ago

I recently moved into my own home--my first!--in a gorgeous senior mobile home park. I had initially decided against a china cabinet as I tend toward a warm and welcoming but somewhat minimalist home. But rereading this discussion has brought back all the emotion I felt when I first read it last year. Such lovely china and even lovelier stories and memories shared here.

Right now I have only two sets: vintage jadeite and a white alabaster

swirled pattern in a square profile that Pier One, before they closed their stores, carried and was made in Portugal. While I do love the white one, the dinner plate is huge. At least it feels so, especially sitting next to the jadeite. If anything can emphasize the difference in meal size from 70 years ago it is these two dishes. And I find that I prefer the smaller sizes.

That said, once I am able to begin to feel sufficiently comfortable with my finances to begin spending again, I am seriously considering starting collecting some pretty glassware and dinnerware. I like a local thrift store that gets higher end things plus there are other thrift stores as well. And now, with the vaccines eroding at least some measure of risk, I am thinking about checking them out as well as CraigsList for a china cabinet.

I cannot thank everyone here who participated as much as I'd like because I feel completely happy with my reading. What makes me happiest is that while I may not entertain enough to justify future purchases I can and will justify them for me. If I am not willing to set a lovely table with china, crystal and linen for me, then who the heck for?