Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
absolutchristie

What color should I paint our backdoor?

Christie
10 years ago
Our backdoor is really old and tired looking. We kept saying we would replace it eventually but after browsing on this site I am now thinking I should just sand it down a little and paint it and just replace the storm door and hardware. The blinds need to come down so I can paint around the windows, but afterward I would put them back up. In the pictures, you can see that we painted the hallway a sandy tan and in the cutout which is the hallway that leads to the basement, we painted it a very deep dark blue. Should I paint the door the same color blue? A different color blue? the same tan as the hallway or a shade darker and keep the white moldings or just clean up and paint the whole door & moldings white? Please excuse the two different floor tiles as those are the next project after the door.

Thanks!

Comments (17)

• Christie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you! that hallway wall used to be closed up and had dark wood panelling. It was very dark and scary looking lol. The basement is finished so we just opened it up to do a half wall and put a gate where the basement door was to keep the dogs upstairs. I've been wanting to get rid of the back door and get a new one that looks like a frenchdoor but if I could salvage this one then I could use that money elsewhere.
  • Beverly Ward
    10 years ago
    All white for sure. Would you consider getting rid of the blinds on the door? You could replace with frosting the glass or those units that attach to the door with the blinds imbedded between the glass.
    Christie thanked Beverly Ward
  • Christie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I would definitely consider getting rid of them. If we bought a new door I would've preferred the ones with the blinds already in the glass. But we need something there, even if it is a sheer door curtin for privacy. I guess I could get some kind of frosting for the glass
  • Christie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    here are some pics of the door from the other other side so you can see what the windows look like. Right now the blinds are screwed in place so I can't roll them up.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    Paint it white.
  • diniekag
    10 years ago
    Christie, I think the hall looks nice but sprucing up the door with some white paint, replace the door knob & lock. You could change the blinds out to something soft like a Roman
    shade. You could try finding some fabric you like and make them yourself for the door window and the hall window. Also consider a runner that would compliment the colors.
    Christie thanked diniekag
  • PRO
    Karen Feldman, Broker Compass
    10 years ago
    I would keep the door white but replace the blinds with an organic type of shade or panel. I would do it in a linen color but lighter than the walls. Also, I don't like the linear reflection in the mirror of the blinds. I think you can add a fun blue or other color on the mirror frame next to the door. also, consider a new mirror in a different shape, rounder. a curve in the mirror and different window treatment should soften up the hallway
    Christie thanked Karen Feldman, Broker Compass
  • Cat Rowe
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Love that door! Paint it white. I wouldn't put the blind back on. I would gave a glass company come out and replace the glass with a milk or frozed glass, or.... They do make a film that you can apply to glass to make it obscure. Check Lowe's online for Brewster privacy-control window film.
    Christie thanked Cat Rowe
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    The white is bright at the end of this hall, but I see no reason why you couldn't paint it a bright color! I definitely would not use the dark blue though. What accent colors do you have adjoining this area? Really any color would work: bright red, orange, peacock blue, bright green - bright is the key! How about stenciling or wallpapering the insets? Whether you paint the door a color or white, I would replace the blinds with something the size of the glass - right now they kind of overpower the door.
    Classic Coastal Colonial Renovation - the Mudroom · More Info

Debra Campbell Design · More Info

The Front Door · More Info

The Lakehouse · More Info

A bright and large pattern shade like this would look great, in the same color as the door.
    Palo Alto Nursery · More Info
    Christie thanked Kathryn Peltier Design
  • armipeg
    10 years ago
    Go burgundy.
    Christie thanked armipeg
  • Cat Rowe
    10 years ago
    Smith Noble is where you can custom order a folding blind in fabric similar to the one in the Palo Alto Nursery above. This way you can open during the day or weekends when you would like the light, and it will give you the colour you would like.
    Christie thanked Cat Rowe
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    For a much less expensive shade, you could just use a roller shade and cover it with the fabric of your choice.
    Christie thanked Kathryn Peltier Design
  • PRO
    amydutton Home
    10 years ago
    I suggest keeping the interior of the door white to match the door trim. If you want constant privacy, go ahead and put a frosted film on the window. The outside of the door should be painted a contrasting color to the house that is rich in color and compliments the exterior color. Black or deep grays are sharp and rich.
    Christie thanked amydutton Home
  • allisonregina
    10 years ago
    Not dark blue! But I do love how you put that on the wall. My safe answer is white but I would try a deep crimson or burgundy.
  • beckiabrisz
    10 years ago
    I assume you are talking about painting the inside of the door...so with that assumption, I was thinking a high gloss white. You'll get light refraction from a glossy paint and will help the area seem brighter. ALWAYS paint the trim around any door if you're painting the door, otherwise, your trim will look ten-times worse than a bright freshly painted door! Trim is usually a semi-gloss so I would go with that. Glossy door, semi-gloss trim. Nothing dark..no no no.
    Christie thanked beckiabrisz
  • Christie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you everyone!! I didn't think of changing out the glass to frosting.. or even putting a roman shade that is a great idea! Also I didn't think of painting the inside a different color than the outside (Duh) that is also a great idea. The outside of the house is all red brick but we put in a light grey paver patio so a dark gray or black does appeal to me for the outside of the door. We need new trim, the old one is actually kind of rotten and broken on one side so that is going to go and will definitely be white. I really like the idea of painting or stenciling the inserts as well that is great. Thank you everyone for the awesome ideas!