Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccuster06

Need help with kitchen

ccuster06
10 years ago
I am in need of suggestions for paint, counters, backsplash. New wood flooring being installed later- included.

Comments (34)

• MarleneM
    10 years ago
    Nice flooring pick. Some questions first:

Is there a particular style you like? Colors like/hate?
    What is staying or going? appliances etc.
    Is stone/granite for counter in your budget?
    Are there other adjoining rooms in your house updated? If so can you send pics to get an idea of taste?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Your flooring is very nice. It has warm, red tones on my ipad. Are you looking for colors to compliment the flooring?
  • User
    10 years ago
    Are you open to painting the wood trim white?
  • ccuster06
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not sure on style yet. House is only 5 years old and trying to bring its appeal up to its age. Cupboards are only for sure stay. Appliances will be replaced in time but not right away. The kitchen mirrors to a living room which will be having the same new flooring run through it( paint for living room is up for decision to before replacing floor). Entry way to house also off kitchen( getting new floor as we'll and paint)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Sage green.
  • ccuster06
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm looking for colors that make the house warm but not overwhelming with colors( I tend to get a rainbow affect). Want a good flow of colors from room to room because entry way, kitchen and living room are all open to each other. Not out of question to paint trim white in kitchen.
  • sytr
    10 years ago
    Some pointers:
    Try looking at different paints.
    Add different knobs to your cabinets.
    Lay out a colorful rug.
    Grab a couple paint samples and hold them up to your walls and counters.
    If you are a bright, colorful liker, go for light greens, yellows, or even orange!
    If you are a 'go for comfort', try a dark red or suttle brown. Just play around with it and see what pops up. Good luck!
  • User
    10 years ago
    A nice creamy yellow for paint;)
  • Andrés
    10 years ago
    Excellent choice of floors. I would keep the white color of the cabinets but you should update them. I would paint the walls a light grey color with a darker grey granite or stone counter tops with a backsplash that is composed of glass, white and black squares. One more thing, more light in the room. Enjoy your new kitchen!
  • User
    10 years ago
    From looking at your Kitchen Ideabooks it appears that you like white and contemporary and traditional styles with a little modern thrown in. Go back to your Ideabook and choose the features you like best about each picture. Then tell us and we can start throwimg ideas at you! We love to help :)) !
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    You have a lot of brown, so something in green or blue for paint. Do you like bright colors? LR seems very bright.
  • Andrés
    10 years ago
    Maybe even a window, even if it's small to let natural light flow inside the room.
  • ccuster06
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There is one window in kitchen then other natural light is French floors in living room. Yellow was meant to be more warm tone than bright like it ended up looking
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    Just wondering if bright colors is your style? Not much sense suggesting grey if you don't like it, right? I think yellow in the kitchen would brighten it up. Yellow can be a hard color to pick too, especially from a little paint chip.. Some are too gold, some too lemon, some to green.
  • ccuster06
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do like grey and actually have a grey bathroom off the living room that has the same white cupboards and looks great! I have thought about a creamy yellow for kitchen but wasn't sure if I should try and tie all three rooms together with same color as they all open to each other
  • User
    10 years ago
    Actually, gray would be a great color in your kitchen. Perhaps you might find a lighter or darker shade than your bathroom and paint the kitchen the same color as your bathroom and use the new gray shade in the living room.
  • ccuster06
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If I went a hybrid of greys what color should I do entry way?
  • User
    10 years ago
    I would go with the same color as the living room. I don't think you want to add a third shade into the mix. The new color you choose can be several shades darker or lighter. You want the different shades to be dramatic but not over the top, if that makes sense.
  • User
    10 years ago
    If you still have one of the cans of paint left from your bathroom painting job, take it to the place you purchased it from to get the name from the formula on the lid. If it lists the name of the color that is all you need to know. Ask someone at the paint store to show you grays that are in the same hue as the one your have. Just like you can have blue whites, beige whites, pink whites, etc. You can have blue grays, brown grays, etc. Then it's a matter of choosing a darker shade or a lighter shade. I always buy a sample size of the colors I'm considering and paint them on different walls to get a feel for how it looks in different lighting. You can paint several pieces of white posterboard and do the same thing. Trying it out before committing to it helps save you from nasty surprises! :)))
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    I looked at some Houzz pictures with yellow & green walls. I like the energy of the City Chic.[houzz=
    Small Norman Home · More Info
    ]
    [[houzz=
    The Boland Home · More Info
    ]houzz=
    Walloon Lake Cottage · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    City Living on the Hudson · More Info
    ]

You can also improve lighting by upgrading entry doors with ones with bigger glass inserts, and if you add trim to cabinets, then installing LED light strips.
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    Here is another one: Nice soft but elegant.
    [houzz=
    Style Mix · More Info
    ]
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    Picture of colors in above Style Mix Room, its Silver Sage. Which is what chookchook above suggested.
    (hope picture attatches)
  • ccuster06
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would a mixture of silver sage and a creamy yellow be good? The sage in kitchen with creamy yellow in living room and entry way? Or do all three same family of color?

I plan to go grab some samples this week from ideas listed from everyone
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    i actually like the idea of yellow and green for the 2 rooms, but i think they need to be about 3 shades softer (more pastel), maybe only 2 on the green.

i would paint the trim and doors white. if i could, i would also get new doors that are 6 panel.
    they're prettier than the plain ones you have now.
  • mmroberts4440
    10 years ago
    I love your spaces!!! ;) I'm so excited to see the end result!
  • novicenoodler
    10 years ago
    I think that decluttering will help you in the kitchen as well, and getting lighter drapes (or no drapes at all). See how much sunnier the kitchen is without even changing out very much? I've added a rug runner by your door and moved the chandelier above the kitchen table instead of in the middle of the room and painted the walls the silver sage color, but other than that and the addition of the floors you are already getting, not much has changed. The counters and the backsplash are the same, and the clutter above and below the cabinets have been moved out.
  • ccuster06
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes future state we will be removing all above cupboards. There currently isn't a place for those type items to fit. A laundry area right off kitchen is being changed to a pantry before new flooring placed. Having that visual confirm how much better it will look, thanks!
  • PRO
    Facings of America, Inc
    10 years ago
    We have a dedicated area on our website dedicated to kitchen ideas you might want to check out. I attached some of the more frequently downloaded pictures. Although your first impression may be to use a subway tile, your project will then look like most tract homes being built. I recommend incorporating some glass or other mixed media glass tiles into the back splash. For the floors you will want to make sure it is easy to clean.
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    I'm not a designer. just like decorating. I really like the silver sage with white and dk brown. ,I can't picture yellow and silver sage together, maybe more of an off white or light taupe, but it might work if you got the right soft yellow, and I don't know anything about Restoration Hardware paint colors. Maybe someone more qualified could guide you. These are someBM colors that I think flow nice, and would look nice with wood.[houzz=
    Crystalline AF-485 Paint - Benjamin Moore crystalline Paint Color Details · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Frappe AF-85 Paint by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    ]
  • Andrés
    10 years ago
    Hope these pictures help you envision what I had envisioned for your kitchen.
  • Andrés
    10 years ago
    And use this black splash.
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    I was looking at countertops ideas because my daughter is redoing her kitchen also (on a budget) and came across this formica product. Unfortunately its not available in Canada, where we live, but I thought of you. It says you can even get an undermount sink to get more of the stone look. If you are thinking about something green or blue for wall color in kitchen and yellow or cream in LR, new counters would be a great way to tie rooms together. Something with both colors and a bit of brown to match floor. If you are going to get some paint samples, it might be a good idea to get some countertop and backsplash tile samples at the same time, so you can see them all together first.
    furniturehouzz=
    FORMICA IdealEdge · More Info
    ]
  • MarleneM
    10 years ago
    Here are some backsplash tile examples that I thought would work, also a better picture of formica with a undermount sink.
    [houzz=
    Sunset Beach Hand Painted Glass Mosaic Subway Tile, Sample · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Classic Subway/Handcrafted tile · More Info
    ]
    [houzz= https://www.houzz.com/photos/3422-crema-mascarello-180fx®-by-formica-group-kitchen-cincinnati-phvw-vp~554502]