Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

What item do you splurge on for your home?

Emily H
10 years ago
Is there one thing you are willing to spend more on to get what you want? What is it?

Share your experience! (Photos encouraged)

Kitchen · More Info

Comments (58)

• indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Umm, everything? LOL!
    Emily H thanked indianpatti
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I like to get the best faucets for bathroom and kitchen, they will last a lifetime if they are solid cast brass under whatever finish you prefer. No pitting, no rusting, no ugliness.
    Emily H thanked mefor
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    I agree with mforr that "splurging" on the best faucets really makes a beautiful difference.
    Emily H thanked Darzy
  • Monica Ellison
    10 years ago
    I like to splurge on furniture. I choose pieces that are well constructed and have a timeless look. I don't like a sad saggy sofa. It is worth the money to upgrade cushions and fabric.
    Emily H thanked Monica Ellison
  • User
    10 years ago
    Definitely the lighting. First thing I notice in a home.
    Emily H thanked User
  • Suzanne Musashe
    10 years ago
    I just remodeled my kitchen and splurged on the granite. I look at it as a piece of art
  • wifemothergoddess
    10 years ago
    Doors, windows, and millwork are things I wouldn't want to skimp on.
  • m3459
    10 years ago
    Appliances. You don't care if they last forever...
  • arubalime
    10 years ago
    Flooring....
  • antoinebrown
    10 years ago
    Mattress and lighting!
  • oakleyspanky
    10 years ago
    Bubble chandelier!
  • G E
    10 years ago
    only buy the best u can afford and think of it as a 5-10 year plan, i bought really expensive living room furniture 10 years ago and got tired of looking at it @ 2 years ago, but it is in excellent condition. same with my carpet. i like change every few years
  • User
    10 years ago
    Beautiful lighting.
  • User
    10 years ago
    See
  • inkwitch
    10 years ago
    I'm afraid the budget doesn't allow for splurging on what I'd really love -- countertops, farmhouse sink (those things are pricey!), convection cook top (and the electrician to set it up). But I didn't stint when I put a new (metal) roof and windows in. Long term goal: solar panels.
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Mattress, kitchen stuff. I have enough trouble sleeping without the mattress giving me issues, and I love to cook so while the appliances don't necessarily need to be what someone else would consider top of the line, I will definitely splurge to get something that is exactly what I want in terms of features/design. Same with cookware and knives.

Though that said, I do come from the tried and true background of "better to buy good quality furniture that will last a lifetime than a bunch of cheap stuff" so I can be persuaded to splurge if it'll get me better materials and construction techniques. I expect to put a fair amount of money into getting a nice dining room table in the next year or two, for example. My one now is adequate at the moment, but not really what I want, and so far finding what I want is proving tricky enough that once I locate exactly what I'm looking for, I would prefer to avoid having to look again - I'd rather pay the extra to get something that's worth repairing if it gets damaged, and can be refinished, etc.
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    When I was putting in my addition to my 100-yr-old house, I insisted on wood windows, deep wood baseboards, window frames, etc to keep with the age of my house. Of course, my other splurge - a bidet (Washlet automatic) toilet seat - is modern...Now, if I could only afford new furniture :-)
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    Do't regret any of it!
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    we don't do "splurge" a lot ... hubby and I are big DIYer's, so usually we opt for saving money and doing things ourselves.

my new kitchen is the exception to that rule. that was top to bottom splurgalious.
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    Okay I did it haha, I went and spent my savings for a beautiful curio glass cabinet by Brad and here it is. It is not yet delivered but its mine as I have paid for it. I will show what I have put in it later after it is done but this is the pic I took of it while at the store... you can see what i love it ♥
  • cseeg
    10 years ago
    Quartz countertops!
  • Luciana
    10 years ago
    Definitely lighting and art!
  • fos5
    10 years ago
    Art, antiques, oriental and tribal rugs. Things that hold their value or increase in value and go with you when you move. Only things I love.
  • soozmacrae
    9 years ago
    Lighting and Jo Malone candles.
  • eightpondfarm
    9 years ago

i guess i could safely say: everything! once i discover something i want/need i research until i find the best. and, once found, want nothing less. some of the things are reasonably affordable, others make me stop and consider a while first. we do not shop at large stores (except every once in a while a major supermarket) most everything we buy is from small businesses made by hand. or antiques. currently we are reupholstering our very good quality, but now too worn, sofa. we found a couple who do this in their basement and they have done a lot of pieces in the governor's mansion. of course, we are now on a search for the Best! leather! lol

• PRO
    Extreme Reno's
    8 years ago

Choose a place in your home you spend the greatest amount of time.

• dclostboy
    8 years ago

Toilet with warming seat...necessity

• User
    8 years ago

Lol.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

LOL. I just got a Squatty Potty, now that brings things to an all new level!

• User
    8 years ago

Especially the knees.

• Beth Bevington
    8 years ago
    Love my squatty potty!
  • User
    8 years ago

Nothing like pride of ownership;)

• PRO
    SINKOLOGY
    8 years ago
    HVAC, I love being comfortable and efficient.
  • terry toon
    8 years ago
    Do squatty potties work? And here is my latest prized possession, for football games and such. Yes it's a fake baby with a straw.
  • User
    8 years ago

Lollol

• Beth Bevington
    8 years ago
    Yes, I bought mine for my husband last Christmas! Guess what, I love it and it works amazingly well. Makes sense for an easy morning relief! Oh, squatty potty I mean.
  • User
    8 years ago

Were there other people watching him unwrap that?

• dallasgraduate
    8 years ago

I love my Sam's Club mattress. I appreciate that the one I touched in store was the one I got. I splurge on kitchen knives.

• baileysr
    8 years ago
    I splurge on things I really love, and I know it when I see it. I love mixing an investment piece or two into what is otherwise pretty modest and/or reused and recycled stuff. I understand people call that "high-low" now, but I've been doing it forever...initially out of necessity because I had little money, but now I do it just because I like it. For example, I splurged on a custom live edge dining room table, and use it with some pretty upholstered chairs that I got on sale at Pier 1 for cheap. I splurged on custom weathered barn doors in my living room, and recovered my 30 year old sofa. I think the splurge pieces elevate the whole space and make the whole room look special. I guess the risk is that the cheaper or older stuff could drag down the whole space. But I find that as long as I love each piece on its own, whether it be splurge, budget, or hand me down, they tend to play well together.
  • Heather Macdonald
    8 years ago
    My splurges are usually at auctions...favourites are oriental rugs, china and furniture
  • Beth Bevington
    8 years ago
    After reading a lot about mattresses, I agree! Didn't realize how important they are. But, did you know most mattress stores have a return policy. They are slept on maybe one night and didn't work for the customer. I was furnishing a 3 bedroom rental in Maui and got 2 queen size beds for a 4th of the cost.
    They all still had the original cello wrap. So I was mattress shopping here in Napa and loved the feel of a $3,000 bed.
    Asked do you have this in a return. They checked Northern Ca
    Returns and found one. Saved $1500. We love it. My husband says I am a true value shopper. I'm really good with vehicles too. I was wheel dealing one time and the car salesman, called my hubby 3 days later (we had the vehicle)
    She got me so rattled I forgot to get the check .
  • User
    8 years ago

Do towels count?

Yup. Towels.... (sometimes I sadden myself with my strangeness)

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    8 years ago

Entry doors, windows,clerestory windows, skylights, appliances, and lighting..

• fos5
    8 years ago

A good stove, quiet dishwasher that hold long stemmed wine glasses, art's the big one for me, chandeliers, good china and silverware, & oriental rugs and a home on the water.

• Bev
    8 years ago

Furniture and a very good, top of the line mattress is a must! I live with chronic pain and sleeping on the right mattress makes a world of difference. The same goes for my furniture, especially sofas and chairs. I have to feel good when sitting on them or I will not purchase them. Life is too short to put up with uncomfortable furniture and mattresses!

• eightpondfarm
    8 years ago

Fabulous sheets

• mramsey
    8 years ago

Flowers.

• saucygirl5678
    8 years ago

I also splurge on flowers, and plants for the garden.

• anthip
    8 years ago

Art. I spend a lot of money on art.