Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christelle_harris

Papasan chair in corner or not ! family room deco and finishing

Christelle
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Hello houzzers , only been a few days not hearing from my issues lol lol , this family room of mine believe me come a long way .... i am almost finish but i ran into a lots of issues and still feel defeat by this space .... I use to have a huge crocked niche on the accent wall i had closed up and reinforce to be able to mount a tv back , now few months later it's cracking around where the niche was and my hope to even mount back a tv is in flame , i will never be able to run the cable inside the wall ever because it will fall at bottom of that covered niche. So here my setup in picture of the moment , not the best but that all i can stomach to see because i am completely undecided on my next move. I planned on adding a tv cab it would of run the whole wall doing this now my prob is i can't really do that that it's going to bother on where to walk , it's open to dinning room and next the entrance door , so my few questions are what i can had next to the tv cab to fill that space ???? i was thinking a butler bar ? my plant on the other side help to hide the cords and side o tv mess, my huby suggested a papasan chair in corner next to curtains???? i do need extra sit but the space is literally tiny and i can't clutter because of front door. i want something relax it's more of the kids room / us and where they watch tv and play game but i want a clean place because it's the first room they will see entering too :)

Comments (29)

• Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i don't really want a gigantic tv ever i might go up to 50 inch but i will be end , it looks stupid on the front of this huge empty accent wall i do agree but for me it does look clean and i am not too sure with the galleries wall to hide the tv around :( at least not this one , i did one already in a guest bedroom !
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Papasan chair takes me back to my days in Hawaii. Would be fun depending on the scale. Always a good place to chill out :)
    Christelle thanked dclostboy
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i think i saw 42 diameter :) i kinda like them too but scare it will look bulky ?
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    It will add round to all the square lines...I'd be more worried about what fabric
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Think about something to look tailored and go with the couch
    Christelle thanked dclostboy
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i saw a ivory pillow or white
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    I think you would have room for it. If you are buying locally, buy one and a nice cover and take it home and see how it looks. You can always return it and search for something else.
    Christelle thanked unwantedadvice
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i think with natural base and plain ivory ???? or the brown base ? wicker basket in natural looks good so i am not really sure
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    With children, I don't know about a light color. Why not a nice print to jazz up the space but that is,of course, if it fits.
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i can use a throw to cover the chair up and protect it a little the pillows are not too expensive and i am a clean freak lol lol no food allowed off the table !
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the only space i have available is on the accent wall around tv and i am not too sure yet on how to do this with the cracks issues and the wall next window or above sofa ? that is the share wall of staircase i wanted to place a beautiful red dreamcatcher on one of the wall
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    I googled a couple of pics.
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    turquoise i like it a lot too :)
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Just curious, why not put the sofa in front of the window so it faces the TV more? When you walk in, it might look better than facing the sofa head on. I'd be temped to get 2 papasan chairs, put them on wall where sofa is now, with a small rattan drum table between them.
    Unless you do intend to buy a larger TV, I would get a taller console, so it is more at eye level. And a taller, fuller plant where the one is now.
    Christelle thanked lessismoore
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    I am not sure about the base as to whether dark or light. One thing to do when you buy, is to take a cushion from couch with you and see which base looks best with the gray.
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    darcy i though of the egg i love it but huby is against it :( brrrrrr the sofa was place in front of window before it was not really working for us as it prevented us to go to the small closet and was always flying into the wall curtains as the kids used it as a trampoline lol i don't really hate the sofa at current location i think for us it opened more space floor :)
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    darzy huby refused the egg i refuse the recliner club chair because knowing huby it will deploy it each time and everytime into the wall and then i have the job to fix the wall every other day lol
  • unwantedadvice
    10 years ago
    I would not get too long of a tv cabinet, that wall doesn't look that wide, but I do think a different one would help.

Regarding the cracks you mentioned, was that professionally done or by you and hubby?
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    professionally and i think it comes from the extrem temp change we get here the wood he place behind is working causing to crack i am pretty sure this prob will always be there :( the guys are coming back next week and i will mention it to them see what they can do
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i will look for a different tv cab a lill taller i agree i do not want too wide
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    How about getting a bunch of pillows and arrange the width/size of the papasan chair to see if it doesn't overpower the space/sofa?
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    unwanted advice - I just saw your idea to purchase local (World Market. or Pier 1) then you can return it if it's too big. Good idea.
    Christelle thanked Darzy
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    i think i am going to give a try if it does not work i will return it no prob will keep you updated on this :) i am waiting on my tree stomp coffee table it's back ordered :(
  • Denita
    10 years ago
    Or a Barcelona Chair and ottoman so he won't lean back and touch the wall :)
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/9th-street-brownstone-contemporary-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~81231
    Christelle thanked Denita
  • lessismoore
    10 years ago
    Darzy's rattan lounge is very attractive. And the ottoman makes for extra seating, or subs as a coffee table with a tray? Nice.
  • sondramartina
    10 years ago
    How about a swivel tub chair? They are not bulky and they swivel :)
    To me papasan chair does not go with this room.
  • Wendy
    10 years ago
    I too love the rattan chair but it won't hold up with bouncing kids. Love it so far, the wall colors, window treat., and sofa are working together nicely.
  • Christelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    /i would love love the barcelona chairs for sure but they are out my pocket now :( a good copy cat maybe , i kinda like the tub chair my husband liked it too :)