Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoomzoom

Does this bathroom design layout look too complicated ?

zoomzoom
10 years ago
This bath serves 2 bedrooms in a vacation home. We were trying to make the bath as functional as possible for 2 couples or 4 people using the 2 bedrooms. We felt the doors provided some privacy if 2 people were in the bath at the same time. Should we eliminate certain doors? Which ones? Maybe use a pocket door where possible? Our builder seems to think this design is too complicated and doesn't have good flow. We cannot expand the space so we have to use the square footage we have.

Comments (161)

• lucidos
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Buggers this interface....
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    Here, The frosted french doors would keep the rooms from an enclosed feeling. You would be able to see shadows of someone in the bath and it would provide sound proofing. You would have to talk to your designer or architect and see about the plumbing to put pocket doors in. Every municipality has different codes.
    zoomzoom thanked lucidos
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    love that idea ! Thank you again !
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    I must add that the wall where the pocket door slides in cannot have insulation, electricity or plumbing services. Also you must remember that later on, you can't screw anything in it such as toilet paper holder, towel bar, picture etc.. People tend to forget that ... they open the door then forget to close it before starting to screw whatever they need to screw. The result is that the screw pierce the door.
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    suzanne - you think of everything ! :-) very good points. :-)
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    The piercing door situation was mentioned by another houzzer. Long life to houzz! we learn so much!!
    zoomzoom thanked suzanne_m
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    In Lucidos last plan, if you push the closet door to the right, you might have enough room to put a tv between the bathroom door and the closet door.
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    acroteria, Thanks for the input. I agree we want to minimize hall space. In the case of this house plan, the walkout basement level foot print was dictated by the up stair main level's floor plan. Therefore we were restricted to filling in the rooms inside the given external boundaries. But I'm sure there were probably many better solutions given the great ideas and expertise we've seen here on houzz from everyone. So now I'm wondering how much better the whole plan could be?
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    I hate you :) The only way we would tackle that is a CLEAR blue/floorplan..and wine..lots of wine. You would probably have to upload the image to a webpage. It would need to be huge like 2K x 2K resolution. Then we could scribble all over it.
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh we know that !! :-) But you did such a great job it makes us wonder what else could be done to make the plan better! ha! We are happy now!
  • Becca Owens
    10 years ago
    If you can't have pocket doors,why not use bifold doors (like shower cubicles) to save space? It can make a huge difference.
    zoomzoom thanked Becca Owens
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    or maybe pop doors !
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    What is a pop door?
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    2 doors that meet in the middle
  • Becca Owens
    10 years ago
    Not accurate by any means but a colourful idea. Just moving similar shapes about :D
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Is a pop door the same as a standard double door? If yes, I would not do double door unless the opening is at least 36 in. wide. I don't think that would be practical in your space.
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    I looked over the rest of your floor plan and can make no suggestions and have no issues. Other then you should make a full width full access closet in Bed #2.

Pop doors = french doors?
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    ^ lucidos - in a way yes. But they are solid wood doors, hinged on the door frame and meet in the middle - they do not lock though.
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    we are thinking of locking one side if we rent the house out. Create a lock closet for our things.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    If they don't lock, it is one more reason not to have pop doors for a toilet area.
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    Ohhh swinging doors! No.

Ok I figured there was a method to that madness.
    zoomzoom thanked lucidos
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    As a manager of vacation rental properties for the past 14 years, I can tell you that the options for two separate baths will pay off in the end, however you work that out. It is always a major issue for guests if they have to share - even with family. They expect, and will pay for a little more for, luxury and privacy when they go on vacation. If you need any assistance with managing the customer service end of things, please get in touch.
    zoomzoom thanked decoenthusiaste
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    In lucidos layout, make sure you use regular toilet instead of elongated so you have more room in front of the vanity.
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    suzanne will check that measurement for sure. I had planned on elongated.
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    will use normal doors :-)
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Slight tangent, but for solid wood 'french' doors for a normal width door opening, what the heck do I look for? I keep finding double-door-opening width stuff only and it's driving me nuts. I don't want ones that swing like saloon doors, I just want to replace the bifold doors on a couple of closets. (I hate bifold doors. It's a pretty irrational dislike.)
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    Most codes have a 21" minimum with a 30" preferred for toilet clearance. The toilet I put in the image is 28"d and the counter is 25"d leaving a 38" path between the 2 fixtures. The tiles on the floor are 12" I put them there for a grid.
    zoomzoom thanked lucidos
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you lucidos! sounds like plenty of space.
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    It will be helpful for you if you can mock-up or simulate each space so you can get a more accurate feel for how much space, or lack of, there will be. I would hate for you to build what you think looks good on paper, then when you are standing in the built space say, "Wow, this is small." Is anyone in you family taller than 5'-8"?
    zoomzoom thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    Try entering a width pirate like "36" french doors"
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    PirateFoxy - don't blame you, I dislike saloon doors too. I think you would have to talk to a someone who can source those for you.
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mark, yes. Husband is 6'3" Did you see an issue?
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    9ft ceilings in basement. 10ft plate upstairs with a vaulted ceiling going up to meet 23 ft clerestory space
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    The spaces are small but functional and to code. Here is a 3d rendering. I do strongly suggest the frosted glass doors. Another thing you can do is tape the size on the floor and see how it feels to you.
    zoomzoom thanked lucidos
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh Wow ! that is awesome - thank you. Seeing that really helps.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    I like that lucidos put an open bottom vanity. It makes the room more spacious ... the more floor you see, the more spacious it feels.
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, it is a design I was planning on using. :-)
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    lucidos, I hope you don't mind that I added some suggestions on your already so great plan.

The changes I made are I pushed the right wall of the vanity by 4" to allow for a standard 4 ft vanity and I created a linen storage space by moving the W/D forward by 1'-6".
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    No by all means...no plan is done until it's tweaked to perfection. I did my part I'm on the wine part now :)
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ha Ha !! Suzanne, if we move the w/d into the laundry room, how much space does that leave between the w/d and the cabinets/sink on the other wall. ?
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Suzanne, I don't quite follow what you are suggesting about moving the wall 4" to the right. Which wall ?
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    The photocopy of my drawing is too white and it is hard to see. I believe in the current lucidos floor plan, the vanity of bedroom #3 is 3'-8" which is the same width as the closet. You could move the wall between the vanity and the tub by 4" to the right. This would allow you to have a 4 ft wide vanity instead of 3'-8". However, don't move the wall behind the vanity of bedroom #2.

According to lucidos plan, the current laundry is 78 in wide. If you move the W/D by 18 in., you would be left with 60 in. in front of the W/D. Then from that 60 in. you can subtract 22 in. for the depth of the counter. This means you would have 38 in. between W/D and the counter facing them. You could also moved the W/D by 14 in. instead of 18 in. A 14 in. linen cabinet in the tub area is working fine.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    It may be not worth to move the W/D in order to have a linen closet inside the tub area. I was also trying to give you a standard 4 ft wide vanity for bedroom #3. If you don't move the wall, you can have a standard 42 in. wide vanity or a custom made 44 in. I don't know where you can have a linen in the tub room. Did I miss that part of the discussion?
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    After looking at it, I tend to think we might not need a linen closet. I can store towels and such at the vanities on the bottom open shelf. I might also use some baskets in that space. This is a vacation home and really doesn't need long term storage. I don't like "head knockers" over the toilets, so I won't do that.
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Had another thought - is there space around the doors for trim? If we use 2' 4' doors is there space for trim around those?
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    If this is going to be used as a potential rental, and this is a level entry space, I propose that you retool the bath and util areas, along with the hallway outside to give yourself the option for accessibility. With some creative thought, this area could become a pwdr rm, a laundry closet and an accessible bath with a roll in shower (and still get a closet into the back bdrm). Families where members have limited mobility will book your space and refer it to others if it caters to their needs and is marketed as such. It isn't always just those with no limitations who ski, and need accommodations, they bring their entire families with them to, often those who deal with limited mobility. Over the long term, this is likely to benefit your own family, too. Happy Houzzing.
    zoomzoom thanked DMH DESIGN
  • KD
    10 years ago
    Dmh design makes an interesting point. That would also give you options if someone unfortunately got hurt while on vacation - you wouldn't have to cut your stay short because of a bad sprain or something.
    zoomzoom thanked KD
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, good points to consider. This split bathroom is in the walkout basement level. The main level is accessed through the front ground level front door. On the main level is a master bathroom with a walkin shower. There is also a powder room on the main level.
  • lucidos
    10 years ago
    The minimum door size will be dictated by your local code and yes you can trim out the doors currently. What is your devious plan now :)
  • zoomzoom
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just want to be sure we have space to trim out the door openings :-) Leaving it as is - lucidos you did a great job !!
Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals