Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitanad

Painted wood or MDF kitchen cabinets?

anitanad
10 years ago
I'm renovating my kitchen and considering getting white cabinets. I understand there may be issues with painted wood cabinet doors, as opposed to stained. Moisture and temperature changes may make the wood expand and shrink and cause cracks in the paint. Is this really an issue? Should I go with MDF cabinet doors instead?

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    Go with the wood if the wood is painted correctly you won't see a lot of cracks it will happen but it should be minimal . Mdf doors no way they will fall apart
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 years ago
    If you are going to a painted finish i would do MDF they are very stable and wear just as well as wood for cabinet doors. I have MDF painted doors on every room in my house and they have stood up for years. They also come with a very good finish.
  • azureoak
    10 years ago
    What is MDF?
  • M
    10 years ago
    Mdf means you spend less, which means in 5-10 years if you get sick of it you can rip them out or replace them without the heartbreak!...when you spend a lot on a wood kitchen you never want to let go, even when they are really really dated!!!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Medium density fiberboard
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    Medium density fiberboard is Mdf it's wood that is broken down into powder and then bound with resins and glues and then put into forms . Mdf is less expensive but if you have kids or animals forget about it those doors will get trashed they are stable and paint well
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    As an alternative, you may want to inquire about laminated wood, as it's completely sealed and thus the wood cannot receive any moisture
  • User
    10 years ago
    Wood stiles and rails for the doors with mdf center panel and particle board boxes. Manufactured wood products get a bad rap from people who have a vested interest in making sure that you choose a more expensive product.
  • azureoak
    10 years ago
    How can u tell if you have solid wood vs MDF or other mAterials? My home was built in early 90's ... Just going in assumption cabinets bit upgraded from builder grade materials ...
    Trying to figure out if worth time and money to repaint or just go ahead and reface
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    @azureoak you can start a thread of your own or you can post a picture
  • anitanad
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much everyone for the information. I like the idea of painted wood. I guess I will deal with cracking when the time comes.

I find some kitchen places offer painted wood and no MDF, and others sell MDF for painted cabinets and use wood for stained cabinets. The prices vary too, and MDF is not always the least expensive either. Those that do offer MDF are strongly against painting wood, for some reason.

Because I'm leaning towards painted wood, I just wanted to make sure that it's not unreasonable to do that.

I'm looking forward to my new kitchen.

Thank you again everyone.

T
  • anitanad
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your advice, appreciate. I did go with painted maple. Waiting for my new cabinets to arrive, and for my new kitchen to become reality.
  • suziekelly
    9 years ago
    Anitanad, would you mind providing a brief update on how you are finding the painted maple? Thank you:)
  • alexibebezas
    9 years ago
    MDF is used to cut costs. It can chip, will blow up (expand/ swell) if water or moisture can get to it & in the long run the screws in the most used cabinets will probably fail. For a painted cabinet Maple will out preform MDF any day. I have been in this business for 20 years & also have a degree in wood technology. MDF is a good material just depends on how you use it. For kitchen or bath cabinets I would only recommend it in the right situation, but for long term or your for ever house go with wood.
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    9 years ago
    Painted wood cabinets (if properly prepped / painted) should service you just as long as painted MDF...all things being equal. BUT - if the door style you select has wood parts that may have some relative movement when expanding/contracting (as is the case, for example, in a Shaker style door where the center panel will expand/contract differently than the surrounding frame would) - than an MDF option is what you want (when painting).
    Good luck!
  • kellyhutman
    9 years ago
    I am doing painted wood - I have MDF elsewhere and I think it's total junk, unless you plan on moving in a few years. One tip to preserve your wood is to monitor the humidity in your home. Try to keep the environment stable to preserve your cabinetry.
  • Jennifer Prior
    9 years ago

Hi there,

I'm a kitchen designer at a custom millwork manufacturer. We are located in Canada where the climate change is quite significant from summer to winter. We use MDF on 9 out of 10 painted kitchens because it's engineering makes it a much stronger product that doesn't expand and contract in the same way that solid wood does. We will paint on solid wood but strongly discourage it due to the cracking that can occur both on the seams and between the rails and panel. A rule of thumb is that a panel will shrink 1% of it's size over time... so if your door panel is say... 1200mm high, then you're panel will likely shrink 12mm (half an inch) throughout the year. A 5 piece door can only be painted after the door has been fully assembled, so this will result in 1/4" of natural wood showing around your painted panel. It's kind of a scary idea when you're spending several thousands of dollars on a kitchen!

I also strongly recommend MDF - I've never seen a door from our company that "falls apart".. I'm wondering if this is a bigger issue with low quality cabinet makers. This may also be an issue with your door joinery. A cope and stick joint is always the strongest, and a miter corner joint is best if done by a high end machine that can build good finger joints.

We also use a catalyst based spray paint which has strong hardening agents - I'd wish you good luck to try to remove it! We use this to protect the doors from chipping over time and provide free touch-up bottles to our customers over time. I would typically recommend purchasing painted MDF if that's the look you want, and to purchase new doors if you ever change your mind later. This will result in a better quality kitchen for the next 20 years.

Another great solution is to do a wood island or wood base cabinets if you don't want so much engineered wood in your kitchen. This gives a really custom appeal and gives future home buyers an opportunity to work with 2 different finishes if they choose.

My suggestion is to go to a well informed cabinet maker. Our president started as a cabinet maker and has been running a successful business for 25 years now. Any concerns our customers have about construction and quality will rest easy with his responses.

Wishing you all the best with your kitchen renovations!

Jennifer

• Kim Sanderson
    9 years ago

Jennifer Prior - would you mind saying where you are located? We are in Canada too and trying to decide on which type of cabinet to use. We have seen in a local manufacturer who uses painted maple that the panels in his new showroom have shrunk already. We thought it was poor craftsmanship. It seems to me that quality MDF might be the answer. I think people may be comparing to inexpensive MDF that has a equally inexpensive thermofoil wrap. (like cabinets you purchase at Canadian Tire). Thanks in advance.

• Jennifer Prior
    9 years ago
    Hi Kim,

Yes of course - I work at Cabinetree in Peterborough, Ontario. I'm not sure if you are within our region but we do lots of kitchens that are several hours away. We provide a free design and quote if you are local to us.

Feel free to also send any questions my way at jennifer@cabinetree.biz

We love sharing our knowledge with our clients to make sure they are confident and comfortable with their kitchen experience.

Thanks!
  • PRO
    Laurie Brasnett
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I work in the western Canadian market with two different manufacturers and have worked over the years with 8 manufacturers. I mention this becasue it is important to understand regional
    differences in relation to your furnishings and interior comfort levels. Much of my work was on the Canadian prairies where the climate is dry and harsh and the nearest repairman could be 2 1/2 hours away. Homes with forced air furnaces often required humidifiers in the past to keep comfort levels up and keep wood from drying out. Newer homes have better interior climate controls and humidity controls. I continue to sell both MDF and painted maple or alder cabinets becasue each client has different needs. I hope this helps you make an informed decision.

For example: I myself moved into an existing city centre home with PVC cabinets, MDF core, 10 years old that need replacing. What ever materials you choose, choose a local quality product. Painted wood is my personal and professional choice even though I live in an arid climate. I can live with a paint crack on a joint but not everyone can. You have to decide if a perfect finish or the natural characteristics of wood is what you prefer.

The chamfered door styles work beautifully with painted wood and 5 piece MDF doors because any movement in the seams is hidden by the angles recess.

If the MDF door is made with a CNC as one piece -no problem: there will not be any movement. The MDF doors that fall apart are manufactured as five piece doors. Both have their pluses and negatives. At the end of the day MDF will swell when exposed to water and cannot be successfully repaired: the door must be replaced. We are seeing that old MDF cabinetry also turns to powder at the end of its lifespan. It just snaps like a cookie.

Manufacturers also use MDF core panels that do not shrink on painted doors and some stained wood doors. This has helped to avoid that naked shadow line on wood doors in the dry winter months. The flat panel doors that are increasingly popular are MDF or MDF core with a veneer or wafer finish. They should not warp.

In a home that is lived in year round, you are less likely to see the movement of the cabinetry as it responds to humidity levels of daily life. The greatest movement we have seen is in vacation homes on water that are locked up for a season. A good kitchen and bath designer will steer you towards the right material choices for your conditions.

One thing to note is most companies add quiet close to doors and drawers. This should be on every painted door. Slamming a cabinet door or drawer puts a lot of stress on the joinery. I have seen people push showroom doors open and force the hinge past its range and this cracks the joinery also. This results in cracking on a painted finish especially showing up on the pale colours. Cabinetry should be treated with care as you would a piece of furniture. You can order full swing hinges should you want the door out of the way. A K&B designer will consider all these things.

Professionally and personally, the wood wins out more often: Wood is wood and the intrinsic and monetary value remains. Oak and maple wood can be less costly than MDF (and PVC) when the kitchen is designed and finished well. There are great MDF (and PVC) doors out there but they do require extra care in creating a kitchen that will look beautiful for the lifetime of cabinets. You can see a midsize MDF core kitchen that was designed for this purpose on my page. The diary of the current reno will follow...

• PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    9 years ago

One thing no one ever brings up is how well the hardware holds onto either. Hardware screws (handles, pulls, slides, hinges) don't hold as well in MDF as well as they do in solid wood. Even with specialized fasteners. If the hole gets opened up, it's a bigger fix with MDF than with wood. MDF is also subject to moisture problems more than solid wood.

As far as having a vested interest, I don't. I used to build kitchen cabinets, but don't any more. So I'm not trying to sell anything.

When I did build cabinets I never used MDF. For painted cabs, I would recommend soft maple.

• Kim Sanderson
    9 years ago
    Thanks for all the commentary and advice. Appreciate it. Always something to learn.
  • User
    9 years ago

There's good advice here about MDF. Don't waste money on MDF kitchen cabinets. When it gets wet, it's about as durable as cardboard.

• whocareswhoiam
    8 years ago

Al Fortunato: I would be interested in learning your take on manufactured "baked on" white paint vs. a soft maple wood painted by a qualified, experienced refinisher...which in your opinion is better for long term? I totally respect your furniture maker experience and interested in hearing your thoughts....old school / new school.

• PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    8 years ago

@whocareswhoiam; There are good and bad "baked on" finishes, just as there are good and bad "non-baked" finishes. Heat curing (baked) as well as light curing (uv) are just processes used to speed up the finishing process in a factory to increase production. There are "air cured" finishes that are better than "baked". It all depends on the finish. "Air cured" finishes cure by either evaporation of the solvents, or chemical reactions, or both. Don't worry about how it cures but how good the end product is.

Application process is also very important. The finisher needs to understand the finish he/she is using to get the best performance out of it. A house painter is not a finisher. House paint is paint, not finish.

I use conversion varnishes for items that are going to get daily use. On the other hand, I'm finishing up a restoration (not refinish) of a antique Wooten Desk right now using shellac. It all depends.

• PRO
    Morantz Custom Cabinetry Inc.
    7 years ago

We will only use MDF for a painted door. If a client insists on painted solid wood,i walk away. I have taken an MDF door that has been primed and lacquered and put it in a buck of water for several hours with no ill effects. If an adult or child drops a pot or rides a trycyle into the door, they will scratch the finish,but that will happen with a soild wood door as well. We make our shakers out of one piece of MDF with no pin nails and they are edge banded all around. My own kitchen is a raised panel MDF with a paint and glaze and still looks perfect after 12 years here in florida.

• PRO
    Integra Doors
    6 years ago

Here's another idea for you to consider: powder coated mdf cabinet doors. This finish is extremely durable, won't yellow, can be made in almost any color you choose, and abrasion tests have shown that it's more durable than paint. It's very water resistant (a cabinet maker put his client's powder coated doors in the back of his pick up truck and forgot them through 3 days of rain, sleet and snow. When he finally remembered them, he was quite relieved that they looked as good as new. He went and installed them in his customer's kitchen.) Europeans have used them quite extensively for years, but Integra Doors in Greer, SC is the only company I know here in the USA that is doing custom powder coated kitchen cabinet doors.

• enrico61063
    6 years ago

Moisture resistant MDF! Stable and water resistant.