Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfehl

advice on color of draperies I should do...

sfehl
10 years ago
I need to choose the color of drapes for the two windows on each side of tulip picture (my daughter's art). I'm hanging them from crown molding to floor length with extra fullness. I like the faux silk look and thinking of a medium taupe. Want very elegant look and using pinch pleat. Attached a few pictures to show space. Kitchen, dining room and living room in same space. Any other colors I should consider?

Comments (39)

• PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    I think that a taupe faux silk would work well as long as it's dark enough to stand out against the walls. Your rod and finials will be able to add elegance to the draperies.
    Martha Stewart Living Crystal Ball Drapery Rod · More Info
    sfehl thanked Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • PRO
    Design With Distinction, LLC
    10 years ago
    You might also consider gray.
    sfehl thanked Design With Distinction, LLC
  • icesk8r
    10 years ago
    Teal Blue. It pulls in the picture and some other accents and compliments well with the dark woods. There is a lack of color in the room that drapes could solve.
    sfehl thanked icesk8r
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is our retirement home and over the years I know you can tire of colors in your home. I plan on finding some more colorful accents to add on couch etc. So teal drapes scare me. What if I put a soft teal on a couple of walls?
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    A dark gray would look lovely in your space and pull out the gray tones in your counter tops.
    sfehl thanked User
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Are you thinking like a grayish taupe?
  • karen992
    10 years ago
    Have you considered a lightweight black fabric?
    sfehl thanked karen992
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    By the way, this is so fun talking to pros! Love it.
  • PRO
    True Colours Interiors
    10 years ago
    How about curtains in a silk taupe, with a leading edge in the blue
    sfehl thanked True Colours Interiors
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Keeping the draperies neutral allows sfehl to accent their retirement home with whatever colors she wants over the years. I agree that black could be very attractive if that is black you have in the two chairs near the windows. What color is it actually?
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's a dark taupe...I like to change furniture around at times and have had the couch on that wall with chairs across.
  • PRO
    Larry's Design Center
    10 years ago
    I would definitely pull the blue from the tulip. Blue is considered a soothing hue, and would nicely balance the artwork.
    sfehl thanked Larry's Design Center
  • Heather
    10 years ago
    Black or a champagne silk would be gorgeous. I love that the blue now is in small pops-it's stunning! Putting it in the drapes would mute the overall effect i think.
    sfehl thanked Heather
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Can't do black guys....too funeral and I like a lot of light in my rooms. Thanks Marenal...This is still a work in progress...just added the crown molding with advice from Houzz..Love Houzz...what a great resource to go to for help. A faux silk champagne sounds nice, but isn't that about the same as silk taupe.
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    I agree with Carolyn...you have such an elegant room, tone on tone would be prettiest. A light taupe, or the warmer gray would be pretty. Black would be to severe, its working in your room since you're not over-doing it.

Can you tell me the brand of your DR fixture! It's great. I'm looking for one like that in an antique brass...
    sfehl thanked laurakdesigns
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    My champagne glass shows a big more golden glow than the taupe silk fabric sample I threw under it.
  • azhomes
    10 years ago
    I ordered from this place online http://www.curtainsdrapesfactory.com/cdf_l3.asp?item=83071-1
    I loved the linen drapes. The prices are extremely fair and the quality was great. They have a linen color that matches your picture. I think a pop of color would be great. Best part about ordering through this company is that you can have a custom size. You can have them lined and black outs.
    sfehl thanked azhomes
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Laurakdesigns,
    That fixture is from Uttermost and I bought it for such a great price. This is my 3rd go around for decorating a house and I am getting so good at finding high end for 1/2 price. I decided we spent so much money on furniture in last house I wasn't going to do it again because we sold it all for such a fraction of cost. I've only spent 3000.00 for everything you see. The light had a flaw, retail 1000.00 got it for 300.00.
  • Tess Wakefield
    10 years ago
    Where is your console from?
    sfehl thanked Tess Wakefield
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    Thanks-- it's very nice. I Love to go high quality for les....makes it easier to redo. Your daughters art is striking- she must get her eye from you. ;)
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Fairmont design. inc I only paid 600.00 for this, in my last house I paid over 2000.00 and this is such quality for less.
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Really laurakdesigns...thank you so much. You wouldn't believe how critical my daughter is with my decorating. She is an artist and a graphic designer and her husband is an interior designer and architect. By the way, you need to find a dealer for Uttermost in your area and they will charge 1/2 price from online.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Your home is beautiful! She got that artistic flair from you!
  • laurakdesigns
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the tip!!
  • doctornancy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    A striped drapery of white and blued gray (or a grayed blue) would be lovely. Gorgeous room!
    sfehl thanked doctornancy
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    wow this looks great, not quite seeing it. I don't like grommets. Thanks.
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    but I do like stripes always
  • moggie73
    10 years ago
    sfehl, Love your home .. very tasteful. Also love your daughters art.
    I think you are on the perfect track with, rich silk window treatment. (also like the idea of a subtle stripe). I appears as though you have two windows in the living area and a patio door?
    Best to you.
    sfehl thanked moggie73
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yeah I was told not do anything on patio doors because we look out to a huge water view. There are actually two huge patio doors in same room. very private.
  • moggie73
    10 years ago
    sfehl, I understand. Our great room window view is of an old farm pond that was used as a feature for our golf course community. I still love my privacy. So I do like the option of closing the drapes.
    At any rate, your home is beautiful and your only goal now, is to make it feel like You!
    sfehl thanked moggie73
  • Ruth
    10 years ago
    GORGEOUS!
    sfehl thanked Ruth
  • PRO
    Idania De Jesus
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    It seems you're a very neutral person, so definitely a grey/beige also known as greige. I found these awesome curtains that are from Tahari at Marshalls (2 narrow panels for $24) and I absolutely love how wonderful they look with my gray walls (first pic). You could also consider doing a neutral tan but have the bottom of the drapes customized to have a patterned aqua to coordinate with the painting (see pics for idea). Bring in more of the aqua to complement the painting with pillows, throws and other accessories to pull the room together.
    sfehl thanked Idania De Jesus
  • moggie73
    10 years ago
    sfehl, just wondering how your drapery selection is coming along? Do hope you will post pics.
    sfehl thanked moggie73
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not well, I had the drape lady here and have some samples and cannot make up my mine on what to do. Here are some that I've been looking at.
  • PRO
    Masterworks Window Fashions & Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Consider a flat trim or bead trim in black on the leading edge of your draperies. It will give the draperies a little more panache, and connect with the black background of the painting, without being too heavy. Or you could have an inset welting in black (see attached photos) To help you discern the best fabric, try scrunching each fabric sample a little to see the full range of color in the folds and also where the light hits it. Ideally it would complement the chairs, but also your countertops. Look at the fabric samples from across the room, not just up close. At least one of them will be eliminated when you look at them from afar. If it doesn't look good across the room, consider it out of the running.
    Best wishes, - Linda H. Bassert
    Masterworks Window Fashions & Design
    sfehl thanked Masterworks Window Fashions & Design, LLC
  • sfehl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much, I get that now. That would bring everything together I'm thinking.
  • Kathy Handy Ginter
    7 years ago
    The four samples from your drape Lady I like the fourth