Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruhappy69

I want to build a wine rack

Victor
10 years ago
Please help me with plans or ideas.. Its a renovation on an old basement and I thought this spot would be perfect for a wine rack. Thinking of using poplar and staining it Ipswitch Pine (Minwax) because that's what I will also use on the knotty pine trim in the basement. The floor will be 12x12 slate tiles. Any help/guidance is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Victor
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Anyone?
  • PRO
    Boerne Kitchens and Baths
    10 years ago
    Victor, please remember that you have ventilation concerns and should check the requirements for that. Most ventilation requires intake from a conditioned space and vented to the exterior. Remember to that building it of pine if not properly aged could have an odor that could effect the wine. Have you considered Redwood or Mahogany instead. They hold up to the more humid enviroment of a cellar. Just a few thoughts, good luck with you project. You might consider some of the websites that sell the racks to put into the cellar you intend to build.
    Victor thanked Boerne Kitchens and Baths
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 years ago
    Okay, here is a concept, but you have to figure out how to do it. Make a drawer the size of the opening under the stair that stagers the bottles that enables the bottle's labels to show, as shown below in the ROUGH sketch.
    Victor thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • PRO
    Artworks
    10 years ago
    Love the idea :-)
  • Victor
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was thinking of something like this to tuck into that spot under the stairs..
  • Victor
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    more like this
  • Victor
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is what the new slate floor looks like
  • PRO
    Itrimit
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    That's a good looking design Victor but I like Mr. Bischaks for the ease of seeing the decorative labels,unless your hooked on the cheap stuff and don't want the labels seen. I might be inclined to add a couple of locking drawers under it too to keep the real special stuff from unwanted attention. It also looks like the " more like this" design calls for more drunken head bashing and stooping than I'd care to do. My two cents is that poplar stains completely different than pine even when you use a wood conditioner,it comes out darker and blotchy. There is clear or select pine that would work just as well. As for Boerne kitchens comment of the smell of pine getting into the wine bottles I don't think I understand that.
    Victor thanked Itrimit
  • tregli70
    9 years ago
    I like these- or like you said- if you don't want it built in then create/buy one you can just slide under.
    Victor thanked tregli70