Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randinovak

Styling a bookcase for a family room!

Randi
9 years ago
I am styling my family room bookcase. See pics. Just started. Would love some advice. I don't want anything too delicate because I have two kids! Thanks!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 years ago
    Looks a bit staged IMO.
  • Randi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Ok- do you have any suggestions to add? How should I unstage it, iyo?
  • PRO
    B Interior
    9 years ago
    I agree, add some books to the shelves. It looks beautiful the way it is, but a book shelf should showcase some books.
  • Randi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I know more books upright for sure! Any other advice?
  • User
    9 years ago
    Typically bookcases like this (that are not actually library shelves) should have about 1/3 books, 1/3 "stuff" and 1/3 open space.

You have everything centered. As Dy says above, it looks staged. Gather more books and you can shelve them both vertically and horizontally. Couple of small photos, then see how it looks!

Good luck!
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Place some items on angles - it is too rigid. Move the four short light colored items from the middle shelves on the left to the middle one on the right, flanking the tall item there already. Place the short light items one slightly in front of the other to layer the effect. They aren't soldiers, they're decor. Grouping in threes will feel better. Put the item that is a colored picture on an eye level shelf and angle it right or left with the little item in front of it and the other side of the shelf empty and open. The peach and white shelf on the right is pretty good. Just put the tall item slightly left of where it is and set the white item slightly in front of it. Try the black stack of books to the bottom shelf with that other dark item. This dark at the bottom will anchor the visual so the shelves feel secure. Try the pink or blue books in a vertical arrangement. In other words, play with it, stay loose, step back and squint your eyes to determine if the color balance is spread out enough or getting too clumpy. You may have room to add more stuff!
  • Randi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I agree with those suggestions!! I'm just starting out I need to do some vertical books and I need to move some things around but was just looking for some ideas. sounds like a good start!!!
  • PRO
    Tracy Parker
    9 years ago
    Randi! You are so open to ideas- you are going to get it just right girl! No right answers- it's just what pleases YOU. Keep playing with it - it will speak to you. It will be a work in progress- Don't be afraid to get it "just right" and then months later drag home a cool something and replace something else- it should start telling "your" story! I love how open you are. ;)
  • Randi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Added some more books and know I still need more but still not in love with the top shelves! Maybe some framed art leaned up against wall? Is the bottom shelves too dark in color? thanks for all suggestions!