Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
excanuck

Need help deciding on a carpet

excanuck
9 years ago
What started out as a couple of small upgrades to the family and dining room in my home has crept upstairs to the shower and dressing areas, bedroom and landing at the top of the stairs. So far, all the tile work and plumbing are done; glass enclosure and new vanity in the dressing area should both be completed within the next 10 days and floor tile is down everywhere it's supposed to go. All that's left is the painting and maybe French doors to replace the current slider leading to the balcony.

BUT I'M STUCK at the next step, with no one whose opinion I value more than members of this forum!

The problem: Choosing a product and color for carpeting in the bedroom— which is a bigger challenge than it might sound. As one who never seems to march in step with the band, I just pulled down the gorgeous, still serviceable foil wallpaper we had hung when the upstairs floor of our home was added approx. 12-15 year ago. (Foil wasn't quite in vogue then and has just made a comeback, which is why I describe myself as out-of-step.) Painter is scheduled to replace it with gray and silver venetian plaster next week.

Since our bedroom is pretty large by comparison, instincts tell me painting it gray as well would make it more dreary than restful, so I've decided to keep it white (like all the other walls on both floors— except a small sage green wall, in our family room, downstairs) . . . High, open beam bedroom ceiling is already stained brown (to match wall-to-wall cupboards and vanity cabinet in the dressing area) and wall behind the headboard is still the same suede-like brown wallpaper we started out with.

To unify all of the above areas plus the stair-top landing leading into the bedroom, I replaced all the existing tile and carpeting with new medium gray 12" x 24" floor tiles — tiling only the perimeter of the bedroom, in order to carpet the rest of the room.

Finding a carpet style was relatively easy. I loved our shag carpeting in the 70s, and it seemed the perfect choice for the bedroom now. My dilemma: Which one?

At the moment I have at least 1/2 dozen samples of Shaw's Tuftex Bling . . . and only a few less of Swag. Of those, I think I've also narrowed down my choice (at least for today) to Bling (Micro Gray/ top photo) and Swag (Silver Charm). Difference between the two products is a thicker yarn for Bling (which, especially in other colors reminds me of the tousled hair of my sons in the morning, when they were young — and a thinner, slightly shorter pile for Swag, which feels more plush and looks a little more conservative to me.

Except for thickness, the main fiber in both samples seems to be the identical gray. But Bling's complimentary colors (silver and almost pewter gray) make it look a little less "tousled" than the thread combinations of other samples. Complimentary colors in Swag (copper, gold and darker brown) give it a slightly richer appearance. . . . Sorry. Looks like I just used up my allotted space.

Comments (10)

• excanuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Suggestions, Anyone? To get a better sense of how each will look when laid, I've ordered additional samples (same colors) of both carpets. Hopefully they'll arrive today, because the pressure is on. Have to inform my "handyman" who has agreed to paint the bedroom walls, that we have to postpone the start day until the samples arrive, in order to decide won a paint color.

This project is starting to feel like a marathon. Always running to match subcontractors' work schedules!
  • PRO
    Hyde Evans Design
    9 years ago
    I'll go along with grey in the cabinets!
    excanuck thanked Hyde Evans Design
  • jen046
    9 years ago
    One tip on carpeting I can pass along from recent experience: if possible, run a vacuum cleaner over a large sample before buying. We thought "the more plush, the better." Unfortunately, we wound up with carpeting that was too dense to use a regular vacuum cleaner on it. Also, it leaves footprints in it, like walking on the beach. That said, it's so plush that you could easily sleep on it.
    excanuck thanked jen046
  • excanuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks for input. To jn: I'm not sure which of the carpets you are referring to, but because both have a mix of yarns, Swag's are both a little "finer" . .. shorter and a little more "plush", which I think I prefer, but I'm concerned that the color distribution is a little blotchy and maybe too dark for the room. I was hoping ordering an additional sample so I could lay them side-by-side would provide a better idea of how a large carpet would look, but unfortunately, it didn't help.

Bling is a perfect color match for the adjacent floor tile and walls, but looks a little more casual and maybe a tinge drab. But though it's not as thick or long as our shag carpeting in the '70s, I guess it just reminds me of one of the best periods of our lives, when we were first starting out (in this same house) and enjoying becoming parents.

Also, to Jen: Good point. Who can forget the wooden rakes we relied on the last time shag was "in." This time the manufacturer already advises against vacuums with beater bars. Suction only for this baby. But since the carpet is going into a bedroom and won't see much traffic, I don't think that will be a problem. Still, I was planning to sprinkle a little rice onto the samples later today and see how much of it my shark hand Vac can pick up.
  • PRO
    Midas Craft
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Hi ,
    IF YOU WANT TO GO FOR SHAG RUGS ,YOU CAN SEE MY SITE
    YOU WILL GET VARIOUS TYPES OF RUGS , MODERN, TRADITIONAL,AND OTHERS
    IF YOU WANT TO DESIGN CARPET BASED ON YOUR REQUIREMENT , YOU CAN ASK ME

AND PLEASE SEE MY BLOGS ON WEBSITE
    www.wholesalecarpet.org
    "HOW TO BUY RUGS"
    "HOW TO TAKE CARE RUGS"
    SO THAT YOU CAN EASILY PURCHASE BEST RUGS AT ANY PLACE

FOR FURTHER NEW DESIGNS JUST ASK ME
    HOPE IT WILL HELP YOU
    THANKS,
    MIDAS
    midascraft92@gmail.com
  • PRO
    Midas Craft
    9 years ago
    for shaggs rugs just visit at
    www.wholesalecarpet.org
    THANKS,
    MIDAS
    midascraft92@gmail.com
    excanuck thanked Midas Craft
  • excanuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks, your rugs and carpets look gorgeous. Buy I have already pretty much decided on what I want. (Pretty simple, with no special pattern; more interested in texture and color than anything else.) But when it comes to items like carpeting, it's a lot like choosing an ice-cream flavor at Baskin Robbins. It takes me even longer to choose between two than it does just to narrow down the choice.
  • mefresquez
    9 years ago
    Of your two photos, I really prefer the Swag because it is simpler, fewer yarn types as was mentioned above.
    I have a dilemma also mentioned above regarding the difficulty in vacuuming some of the very soft, plush carpets (Mohawk's Smartstrand). I'm was very disappointed when I attempted to vacuum a large sample. Oh well, better now than after the installation. I am now considering a plush nylon carpet for my three bedrooms.
  • excanuck
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi, mefresquez . . . Although it's only been a couple of months, all that hair pulling and anguish caused by decision making feels like it was happening a lifetime ago. I even had to check my invoice to remember that my final carpet choice was "Bling."

But now that it's finally installed, I like it more than ever — though to be honest, I might have felt the same way about Swag. Both are nice, and for different reasons, would have worked well in the room.

As someone in this forum forewarned me, the one I chose does "lay down" when stepped on — but that's the nature of shag carpeting. The greater concern for me was the fact that because the carpet was inset within a perimeter of tile, at least one side had to be trimmed from the original width — and, of course, from both ends, as well. As a result, Im still noticing a little more"shedding" than I normally would have expected, but my carpet seller (whose name I would gladly shout from the top of the nearest mountains, because he and his team truly are "the best" has assured me that if it continues to shed much longer, he has ways to stop it in its tracks.

My bigger concern still is finding an "extra" vacuum cleaner that only uses suction (i.e., no beater bar). Although I have a Hoover Wind Tunnel with adjustable bar levels, I'm not quite ready to rely on my housecleaning crew to make the switch each time they come to work in my home. Besides, it just seems easier to keep the second cleaner upstairs, instead of dragging the WT up and down.

I've been considering canister models, but since most that I've seen describe themselves as "designed with pet owners in mind," I'm not quite ready to fork over the $$$. But otherwise, Im feeling pretty good about this reno project — especially since I really didn't start out with a specific plan. Then again, I've always found it easier to rely on intuition . . . starting with just a foundation and building on it, in steps. For me, it's a lot easier to make purchase decisions via experimentation and either discard or repurpose them them if they don't work out — than being stuck with a costly investment that didn't work quite as I envisioned it.