Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bxev

Complete IKEA Kitchen Renovation Before & After

bxev
6 years ago
last modified: last year

Wow, what a whirlwind. I finally finished painting the soffits and trim, which means our kitchen is officially DONE. It took us about four years of thinking, planning, and budgeting to get here, but the actual work only took about 2.5 weeks (not including the 2 week wait for countertops).

We started with a hodgepodge kitchen in an L shape, with a weird passthrough / wall separating it from the dining room.

While I dreamed of opening it up and turning the kitchen into a U shape, the logistics, time, cost and commitment involved seemed daunting. We flirted with refacing, but we couldn't justify the cost, which was 1/4 to 1/2 what our reno budget would be, and while it would make the kitchen prettier, it wouldn't fix any of the core problems.

We had no counter space, no storage (our pantry was in the dining room), and the kitchen itself wasn't particularly functional - the storage we did have didn't work very well; the two drawers were shallow and rickety, the smaller drawer being broadly useless, and the base cabinets were where things went to die after living a short and terrible life.

I mean.. it's not great.

When I say "hodgepodge," I truly mean it. When the demo started, it was revealed that the kitchen was a combination of found and repurposed cabinetry from other units in our building, and there were a number of strange and alarming things hidden behind them. Like concrete walls. Or gaping holes held together with mesh, puzzling plumbing, an inaccessible gas shut-off valve, and more.

Dear Kitchen: Y r u like this!??

But then came the catharsis that is only possible with a giant, gas-powered saw. Awwww yeah.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" (It's a good thing my contractor found me amusing.)

Looking better already.

Something something cleansing destruction being good for the soul. I think this is what Marie Kondo was talking about when she talked about the magic of getting rid of clutter. Or an entire room of your house and a wall. So much room for activities.

Electrical was channeled through concrete walls - something no other contractor was willing to even suggest, I might add - the vent was opened up, and it was time to start putting up the rails.

Note the "shim" in the far right corner. Yeeep.

It's worth noting how much angry-laughter was caused by this little sheet of paper. Then again, other people aren't dealing with 70 year old condos built by mythological creatures. That's just me.

But, once the initial pain of getting the rails up was done, the cabs went up without too much of a hitch.Well, one hitch. That fridge cabinet wasn't supposed to overhang the wall. If the walls had been, y'know, STRAIGHT, the remaining wall would cover the cabinet with about an inch and change to spare.

You see that back wall, though? Yeah, baby. Like butter. Ok, not butter. Definitely not butter. That was sheer force, willpower, and measuring skill (it's true, I'm a measuring savant).

Soffits started being framed in, and the microhood was hung under the vent tube with care.

Then the perfectly matched crown molding was hung, and we devised a way to make it look pretty instead of stupid.

Then all the base cabs went in, and I assembled and installed all the drawers. Correctly. The first time. And I didn't brag about it at all until now.

Cat tested.

Around this time, I started to have some serious countertop reservations. We hadn't settled on a backsplash tile, though I was pretty sure that I was in love with the Nabi Arctic Blue from Tilebar (below right). The heart wants what it wants.

But the countertop question had me losing sleep. From top to bottom, caesarstone quartz:

1. Ocean Foam

2. Himalayan Moon (for funsies!)

3. Clamshell

4. Raw Concrete

5. Pebble

We'd ordered Clamshell originally, which had a reddish undertone I really didn't like. I was leaning towards the two extremes: Ocean Foam or Pebble.

Turned out the original countertop order never went in, so the change was pretty easy and the countertop people actually knew we needed a countertop this time. Kismet, I tell ya.

The countertops were installed with much cursing. The seam is actually over the left drawer unit, meaning the entire right corner piece was one enormous piece of quartz.

Now it was time for backsplash. Naturally, I chose the most fiddly, irregular, handmade, frou frou BS on the planet. Which my contractor made a point to remind me about. Frequently. But, I had no doubts, and after a false start, it started flying up.

Things were really starting to come together now.

The backsplash was grouted and the faucet was in. I got a Pfister Xtract faucet (it's got the GE water filter that lives under the sink). We crammed so much stuff in a 24" sink cabinet. I'll admit, the faucet looks way oversized for the sink, too. I don't care. I love it.

Under cabinet lighting and receptacles start to go iAppliances go in, and the custom fabricated wood threshold goes in and the kitchen starts to look like someone actually planned all of this. On purpose.

Only thing left is painting, with oversight from the fluffy one.

Look, ma! It's done!

Fin.

Comments (54)

• bxev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@cs929 - thank you so much! I do have a blog, but I don't keep it up much. You might enjoy my mini bathroom reno. There's a lot of cussing and off-color jokes. You've been warned.

• cdee18
    6 years ago
    Thank you for the well-written humorous narrative. It brought a smile to my face. Your new kitchen is lovely and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
    bxev thanked cdee18
  • PRO
    Ancient Stone
    6 years ago

This has to be the most entertaining post I've read on here in a long time. Thank you for your humor and sharing your beautiful kitchen renovation. It added a little smile to my face which I suspect will stick with me for quite a while. Love your new kitchen, love the colors, you did a fantastic job :)

bxev thanked Ancient Stone
  • PRO
    Michels Homes
    6 years ago

Great transformation! Enjoyed the narrative as well!

bxev thanked Michels Homes
  • BPMBA
    6 years ago

I wish everyone would write their Before/Afters like this. Maybe you could freelance? Also, more helpful cat pics FTW! And it looks great. :)

bxev thanked BPMBA
  • bxev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@bpmba MORE helpful cat pictures, you say? Who am I to deny such a request?

Nothing quite says, "you have betrayed me, mother," like those eyes.

• BPMBA
    6 years ago

Yes indeed! :)

bxev thanked BPMBA
  • gthigpen
    6 years ago

It looks fantastic! Great job! May I ask where your backsplash tiles are from? I like that blue.

bxev thanked gthigpen
  • bxev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tilebar! I got the Nabi Arctic Blue. #noragrets

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    6 years ago

This is awesome!Looking at your progress, I'm sure you're very happy with the outcome!

bxev thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • bxev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am! It's kind of insane to think that the footprint is exactly the same as the original kitchen. It feels massive, and just fits the house so much better:

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

bxev...so glad you went w/the nabi! I love it and always have. good call w/the countertop. they look fab together. great job you did on this kitchen!!

Now,,,can we talk about that track lighting?? girl please,,,do a flush mount or semi flush. these are just two pics I had on hand to give you an idea. do 3 lights w/max of 100W each one. plenty of light and no spot lights while you;re in there. (not to mention those things are hot! )

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    6 years ago

Nicely done!

bxev thanked Mega Builders
  • sheloveslayouts
    6 years ago

Oh my, this is fantastic. I read ever word. You're hilarious and your kitchen is beautiful. Enjoy!

bxev thanked sheloveslayouts
  • Home4Here
    6 years ago
    Congratulations on your beautiful new space! It looks great :-)
    bxev thanked Home4Here
  • bxev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Beth H. Thank you! So happy we went with that tile as well. I love it. I actually really like the track lighting. It spotlights all of the work areas nicely and compliments the undercab lighting really well.

• Angela Zuill
    6 years ago

What a great read and a beautiful job!!

bxev thanked Angela Zuill
  • kudzu9
    6 years ago

Looks terrific! And the Ikea cat option is a nice add-on. ;-)

bxev thanked kudzu9
  • bxev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@kudzu9 Thank you! Poor kitty had to be confined for most of the project which definitely took a toll. I think he's the happiest one that all of this is done!

• Mrs. S
    6 years ago

Every word of that is informative and very funny. Great job. I love the white counter, too. The tile looks like kitty’s eyes...

bxev thanked Mrs. S
  • lshack17
    6 years ago
    Gorgeous kitchen, but kitty is the real star! Love!
    bxev thanked lshack17
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

bxev...really? I would have thought you'd get shadows. but hey, as long as it works! the under cabinet lighting is bright, so that's good. which kind did you use for that?

here's the look mine gives me during remodel

bxev thanked Beth H. :
  • lshack17
    6 years ago
    Beth, that face!! Your kitty gives new meaning to the term "throwing shade"

Here's mine escaping almost to the ceiling during backsplash installation on top of our kitchen cabs. Funny how some cats feel in control up high, she actually fell asleep!
  • mandy_moo_pants
    6 years ago
    You’re hilarious and your kitchen is gorg
    bxev thanked mandy_moo_pants
  • bxev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Beth H. I would have thought so too, but they really help to light up the work spaces and the cabinets as well. We did two undercabs (Halo LED light bars) in each of the corners. The spots look way harsher in the pics above, but in person are pretty soft.

That cat face!!!

@lshack17 I love it. Yeah, they really DO like to know what's going on. If my guy liked being up high (but out of the way), we could have made it happen. But he's very paws on and in the middle of the action.

• zealart
    6 years ago

It looks great. The moulding on top makes it look finished and professional( yay no white subway with dark grout). And that kitty! Always great to see pets being included in the photos.

Only question is why there are a couple of these overhangs, like by the cabinets where the microwave is and sink. How come they aren't flush with the cabinets?

bxev thanked zealart
  • PRO
    Verona Home Design
    6 years ago

The greatest part is all the cat photos this post has started! I love your cat in the drawer! Wonderful kitchen update! Love all the progress photos!

bxev thanked Verona Home Design
  • bxev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@zealart - We were originally going to add molding under the cabinets, so the cover panels hung longer, as they were going to match the height of the molding. My contractor recommended against adding it, and my husband and I agreed. We all really liked the clean look of the cabinets and my husband and I worried we'd lose too much space under the cabs if we added it.

Since the cover panels were already in, it would be challenging to cut them down / pull them out and fix at that stage. It does look a bit odd, but I really like how they cap things off. It's a little quirky, but so am I :)

• A R
    6 years ago

Oh my god, you're hilarious! I'm so happy I came across this today. I'm in the process of emptying out all of my kitchen cabinets and drawers in preparation for demo next weekend, and I'm about to lose my mind. I'm glad I'm not the only one who second-guesses every single decision I ever made. My husband reminds me that I will spend 4 hours on the computer trying to save $40 on something and then not worry about something that will wind up costing an extra $500 because I just don't want to confront the contractor. It's madness! I'm so glad you love your kitchen (it looks wonderful!) and am hoping I have the same positive feeling and maintain my sense of humor as you have throughout this process. Thanks for the laugh and the inspiration. Cheers!

bxev thanked A R
  • bxev
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@A R: How exciting! The anticipation and process was just as much fun for me as the end result. I hope it's the same for you :)

Don't be afraid to have conversations with your contractor or ask questions - part of their job is to communicate with you and make sure everything is going according to the plan you've agreed on TOGETHER. Stuff IS going to change, that's the nature of the beast. Keep a list of stuff you want to address as you go through the process, and prioritize by timeline. In other words, the stuff that should be at the top of the list are the most pressing or urgent items that need to be decided upon right now before work on that item begins or will be impacted by it.

If you're afraid of your contractor or s/he makes you feel like you're wasting time, consider hitting the brakes. If it's just your personality (which is ok!) that's something that can be managed :)

Remember, it's YOUR kitchen and YOUR money. You're the one who's gonna have to live with it. I was pretty easy going and flexible on a lot of stuff, but there were a few hard limits for me, and those were the things I pushed back on. Know what those items are for you, and don't sweat the rest.

• rockybird
    6 years ago

It looks great!! LOL@the ikea directions. I really love the backsplash-perfect choice. And the counter selection was right on. Very humorous post!

bxev thanked rockybird
  • Lia
    6 years ago

Fabulous job!

bxev thanked Lia
  • tiamac pherson
    6 years ago
    it looks amazing!!!great job.i love the colour scheme you chose too.
    bxev thanked tiamac pherson
  • HU-608754501
    5 years ago

We enjoyed reading through your post, very helpful. Are you located in Washington DC? My husband and I just purchased a house and our kitchen it's much larger than yours. Would you mind recommending your contractor? I can be reached at barksdalec@gmail.com

• blondelle
    5 years ago
    Love all your choices. They work beautifully together. Is that the Ocean Foam quartz? Love the counter with that backsplash!
    bxev thanked blondelle
  • blondelle
    5 years ago
    Beth, love your cat. That imperious face! Looks like it should belong to Sophie Wheeler...lol!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

blondelle,,,right? he's the sweetest guy tho. just always has that look!

• PRO
    Sami And Sons Remodeling
    5 years ago

What is the color of the backspalsh? this is a very nice transformation.

it makes the kitchen seem a little bit bigger, since you opened the entry more.

I like the color combination, making it look very clean.

bxev thanked Sami And Sons Remodeling
  • bxev
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@HU-608754501 - unfortunately, no, I'm in the Philadelphia area. I'll send you his information, but I'm not sure he'd travel that far.

@blondelle - it is! Thank you :)

@Sami And Sons Remodeling Thank you! It's nabi arctic blue from tilebar - had a great experience with them, by the way. We had a LOT of extra tile after the reno was complete. We returned the excess (we kept an open-but-mostly-full box just in case), and they refunded the difference. Pretty sweet!

• Judy wear
    5 years ago
    Fantastic kitchen...Love the cab hardware, quartz countertops, backsplash color & grout, and of course The Cat! Found this narration entertaining and did not want it to stop. Job well done.
    bxev thanked Judy wear
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago

I'm also in the Philly area. Can I get the contractor info?

• PRO
    The Patchman Roofing Company
    5 years ago

Fantastic kitchen remodeling. I love the color choices you made with the countertop and backsplash as they provided a much needed break in the color.

bxev thanked The Patchman Roofing Company
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    I know it wasn't fun to live through it, but you sure made reading the saga of your Reno fun!
    Congrats on a beautiful design, and finding a wonderful contractor. You did great! I hope you and your family enjoy it for many years.
    bxev thanked Oliviag
  • bxev
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@sushipup1 - yep! do you have an email address? I'll send you his contact info. I don't think he's on houzz, otherwise I'd just link his profile.

@The Patchman Roofing Company- Thank you so much!

@Oliviag- Thank you! Honestly, for the amount of time it took, I have absolutely no complaints. From demo to done, I think all in we were about four weeks and change, including waiting for countertop fabrication. It's hard remembering there was ever a different kitchen, honestly. It's so perfect for our aesthetic and our house - it was absolutely worth it!

• sushipup1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

try the gmail.com address. (Trying to avoid bots that capture addresses!)

• bxev
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@sushipup1 LOL, same boat. Just sent - let me know if it didn't come through.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

Got it! I'll edit my post/address.

• User
    5 years ago

How long did the actual gutting and installation take?

• bxev
    Original Author
    5 years ago

About two weeks. Maybe a day or two for finishing touches (faucet, receptacles, lighting, backsplash), once the countertops went in.

• Petra
    5 years ago

What a fun read! And a beautiful kitchen, congratulations!

bxev thanked Petra