Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenfish1234

Need to finish this room!

greenfish1234
7 years ago
I have been working on ideas for the unfinished end of this room as well as window treatments. I just saw this cool antique pew at a local consignment shop, good price, seriously considering it. Chairs, if I do them instead , should compliment but not try to match the sofa, so I have rejected tufting, high straight arms, low bottoms (legs should show, I think?), something slightly MCM with upholstery that picks up the sofa's accent color (can't do leather due to playful cats). But then I saw the pew and wondered if this might just be the cool (I like eclectic) touch I need for this side of the room? With drapes and some pillows to soften the look? And a tall plant? Or will it leave that end too empty? The pew would run almost the width of the room, under the 2 windows, leaving 20" on either end. It would be a lot cheaper than 2 upholstered chairs!! The pew would make it hard to find a place in my home for the more valuable and very beautiful Chinese chests that you see there now. The blue chair will go. How would you finish the room?

Comments (197)

• northpoint2
    7 years ago

I'm really liking the curvy barrel ones...

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    :) is right!! I love those chairs- I think the fuchsia is is a lot of pink for me-I like it as an accent. I could really see the purple with the fuchsia pillow to tie in the sofa... where are those from?
  • kjoy1
    7 years ago

• kjoy1
    7 years ago

greenfish...Is this a Lee Industries chair? I heard they are comfortable and good quality. Could you reupholster in great fabric or even neutral fabric with great pillow...add footstool and side table...

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Good guess, kjoy! It is Lee industries and it is comfy. They sell replacement slipcovers, but it looks so wrong for the room in every way. It is a rocker, so no legs.I put it in the basement where we have a room guests use and kids hang out in, so no big loss!
  • kjoy1
    7 years ago
    Oh man! I think you should get the church pew;)
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Lol!
  • northpoint2
    7 years ago

Yeah, why didn't anyone think of a church pew?! Ha...

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

They are from Wayfair. "Clementina"

• kjoy1
    7 years ago

Crate and Barrel

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Omg!! You made me a tiger pillow!!! I love it :) :) great chairs too-what do people think?
  • kjoy1
    7 years ago

I love it. It has an antique feel. It is unique on its own but you can take it to another level by adding a pillow made in a great fabric...

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

(by the way, i've sat in those chairs at c&b, hellishly uncomfortable. good for your least favorite sister in law... 'here, sit in my new chair!'.)

• northpoint2
    7 years ago

It looks so uncomfortable! :(

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Haha nnigrt...I have just the right SIL!! I wonder how they would feel with a 20x20 down tiger pillow...these chairs that I love would probably be pretty bad without the pillow too.
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oops the picture doesn't show the back...but the pillow is there!
  • Rhonda
    7 years ago
    Love your couch, can I ask where you purchased it? Love your home and the wonderful colors!
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Rhonda! I got the sofa at circle furniture but it is Lee industries-model D
    5656-06. I cant recommend it enough! The cushion on the long sections is the size of a twin mattress.
  • northpoint2
    7 years ago

Ahhh, I LOVE those last chairs you posted!

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I know Northpoint, I would buy them in a second if I found them!
  • Rhonda
    7 years ago
    Thank you! I noticed it was so deep! Love it
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Funny, Mark! I saw those in 1st dibs I think. The prices of some of the better (for me) vintage pieces has me thinking I won't have the best luck going in that direction :'(
  • Kim Chennette
    7 years ago
    Setting up intimate conversasion areas is on the rise, given a trend to disconnect from our devices and talk. Although with your barn doors covering the TV I feel your space is perfect for people connecting! The 2 chairs work really well and the space suits the idea too. The other idea would be to set the space as a reading nook. Perhaps a chaise lounge, and small framed side table would be a refreshing take on the space. I am not sure but a low profile open book shelf would be nice if it fit in the space. I would also add a small side board or maybe on top of the low book shelf, a nice succulant plant arrnagement to add some greenery.

I really do love your home its is warm and welcoming!
  • Kim Chennette
    7 years ago
    Here are some reading nook inspiration photos. Please post final!
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Kim! I think I have settled on a seating area for two. The drapes just came in! How does one hang curtains on a weirdly off-center window? Wall to the left is 27.5" from molding, wall on the right is 38".
  • kjoy1
    7 years ago

Funky but comfy...hehe...your kids would love it;)

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That can update totally work in here kjoy! Or a porch swing! I forgot to attach photo of off-center wall here is a pic of another helper modeling the curtains. At this height they land 1/4" off the fooor. I could go higher and longer if I can figure out how to attach clip-on rings without showing the icky clips.
  • kjoy1
    7 years ago

Curtains look beautiful greenfish!!

Not a curtain hanging expert but I think I would go higher and longer...so the curtains "kiss" the floor.

As far as your off center window can you just hang curtains like usual but then balance the area with extra art, lamp, furnishings, ect...

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That's a great article, thank you, kjoy!! I was very much hoping to avoid hemming longer drapes :)
  • kjoy1
    7 years ago

World Market

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Omg they look so stinkin getting od with my drapes and the tigers! You know what? I think the blush is a perfect nod to the sofa without being over-the-too, especially w the darkish drapes. I'll check the site out in a bit :)
  • northpoint2
    7 years ago

Love it, kjoy!!!

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oops my spell check! Supposed to say "so stinkin GOOD!"
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Getting ready to hang curtains, finally got husband to help me move the rug, which entailed moving the entire sofa. I decided the rug should be centered on the windows/room, only to find too late that

Part of the sofa is not on the rug. Sigh. Help? I may have one last shot at getting this right.

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

Greenfish...I like the rug placement in this photo...but maybe pulled toward the windows a bit:)

• zqmerner
    6 years ago
    Ideas: Consider painting the wall with the artwork in an accent color and adding a chair rail to balance. The carpet, while interesting, is overwhelming for the space and extends into the traffic area. Suggest a smaller carpet in a simpler pattern so that the eye is drawn to the lovely windows and view instead the floor. For window treatments, an inside mount. A simple graphic or a soothing solid to highlight the view. Inside mounts would work well here. If looking for something quick and easy try tension rods with a simple scalloped pocket valance. Good luck!
  • Seajay Sparkles
    6 years ago
    Hey Greenfish. Just wanted to stop by and see how you were progressing with your drape dilemma and it sounds like your getting close. Read the article about drapery tips and was so glad to see how they handled the disappearing act for the rings and clips. Definitely a keeper! If you haven't moved the rug yet I was going to suggest putting blue tape on the floor where you want the rug to land before you move the sofa and rug. When you reposition the sofa, the rug will be in the right position. Love your room and think the drapes will be perfect.
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Seajay! I've decided to split the difference with the rug and have it evenly under the sofa the short way, in other words it needs to be pulled about 8/10" to the right. Good advice about the tape!! Ine thing about the curtains that has me scratching my head is, how WIDE to go with the rod? Online articles are all over the place, from 3-12"! I don't want to cover too much of the windows. I'm also waffling on the rod color. I was going to do black, but now am thinking dark wood? Finally, for the sake of scale, I am including a picture of some chairs in the space. Their dimensions are very similar to many of the adorable accent chairs posted here. I think I need something a little bigger to balance the sofa, even if you imagine these upholster did and less airy?

• Mark
    6 years ago

greenfish1234 Is the cabinet staying on the right ?

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Mark! I will probably need to re-think that and the framed silk once the curtains go up? The chest works as two or one stacked piece, I have only found a spot elsewhere for 1/2 of it and it is too nice to store (better looking in real life than the photos)

• Seajay Sparkles
    6 years ago
    Not that you asked haha but I would go with dark wood rods too if it was my decision (to point to beautiful doors). I really like the white skin on the floor and the harvest table under the window. Those pink chairs are really cool and look like they would work if the right size. I would definitely sit in one first. I've bought some chairs over the years that looked great in the store and were huge when they arrived or way too small. Never good. LOL. On the drapes, I would split the difference there too. Maybe just 6" beyond window. Are you using one panel per side. Nice thing about rings is you can make them any width you like.

One burning question. I think I understand why the oriental chest and picture are in that corner together and I'm sure you have thought that the chest would be better where the picture is. No possibility the picture can be moved or added to your gallery over the sofa.
  • greenfish1234
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I did ask!! I was thinking the same about the rods/ dark wood doors... we did try the chests where the silk is but they (and the silk) are lost there. I have also thought about the silk over sofa, but it is a LOT of teal! I'll try to show it in a bit. Also thinking about silk it stairwell (see above) need to tape the demensions

• Mark
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If you have already tried this I apologise but if you moved the cabinet kitty-corner wouldn't it give you more space to hang your drapes without them having to go behind the cabinet ? Maybe you could move the art down a bit if you had to. I'm just thinking that it would look better to not have your curtains behind the cabinet. :)

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No need for apologies Mark! So happy to have your talented input on my dilemma! We did try kitty cornered, see above, but I will absolutely try Again when the curtains are in. I think it will make a difference and I think with the curtains I may be able to float the cabinet out a little bit more

• Mark
    6 years ago

Yes I see now :) It really doesn't make too much of a difference being kity-corner and I see how it cramps the large piece of art too. Hmmm sometimes we just have to work around pieces that have to stay so I think the way you have it may just be the best way and just pull it out a bit and let the curtains hang behind it. I can see that it is indeed a beautiful piece.

• shwshw
    6 years ago

Hi greenfish1234, I'm going to be following this post. I am in love with your house. If you would like to adopt a senior that would look good lounging on your fabulous couch, just let me know. I live in MA also.

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hahah shwshw!! I just saw this! Thanks for jumping in-I noticed you have been ripping out some great cut and paste skills lately!

• greenfish1234
    Original Author
    6 years ago

For those interested who are not also helping me on my separate chair thread for this room, I am looking for some chair input. There is a pricy (for me) and unusual pair available and I would love the input of all you great Houzzers!! I have summarized the situation in my last 2 comments.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/antique-buffs-which-chair-in-there-dsvw-vd~4524823